INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    There are some specialized cases where this can be made to happen. Mostly, it happens because of variables that are hard to control. If the hot water is near boiling, a lot of water evaporates from the hot container, thus there is less water to freeze. If a hot container and a cool container are placed on ice, the ice melts to form a more perfect contact with the hot container, increasing the heat transfer on the hot container.

When all things are equal, the hot water loses it's heat for a period of time until both containers are the same temperature. At that point, they will lose heat at exactly the same rate, until they freeze. The hot container doesn't somehow remember that it used to be hotter and lose it's heat faster than it normally would.

Given that the hot water will take some time to reach the same temperature as the cold sample, that time is lost.

This phenomenon has been argued and tested over since Aristotle's time.

From what I have gathered, experiments can be set up that will seem to verify it, but there is always a "yeah, but" moment attached.

Try it this winter. Set several matching glasses with the exact same amount of water in them with varying temperatures cold, lukewarm, warm, hot, near boiling on your porch this winter and set a timer to remind you to check it once every 5 minutes. See which ones skim over first. Weigh them to ensure each glass is the same and the amount of water before AND after the experiment is the same. You will then be the definitive expert on the subject and you can either bow to my superior knowledge or demand my subservience to your most magnificent being, the keeper of all knowledge of importance.

John

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-it-true-that-hot-water

1 person likes this.
  2. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Welcome Delawaremommy- lots of reading and pics here!

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

4. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Have to get an incubator first since I don't own one![​IMG]

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I buy a lot of hatching eggs. I have never hatched in egg cartons. I lay them on their sides and flip them twice a day.

6. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Well...maybe my theory is not good...[​IMG]

I know I let them set in an egg carton to hopefully reattach the air cell for 2.5 days before placing.

7. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    [​IMG] so this lil guy happened today. My silkie has only been sitting on these two leftover eggs in the evenings/over nights since her chicks were born last week but I didn't have the heart to pull them yet. I really didn't think they'd make it. This morning at about 7am I saw that one had pipped. Hurray! When I got home from work today I expected a new little fluffy, but the egg was unchanged and of course mom and babies off the nest. I made a tiny hole with my finger nail (it hadn't made it thru the membrane) and I could see it breath and move around. I was worried it would dry out since mother of the year was ignoring it so I put a couple drops of water around the pip. In an hour voila! Baby! Momma hen ignored its pleas though so I put it under a lamp to dry off. Just put it back under momma this evening. I hope she accepts it!!

1 person likes this.
  8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I have some cups in the freezer right now. cold,warm,and hot. I did this experiment before, but want to make sure i get all the details right. I put 1/2 cup of water in 3 identical cups. I will let you know the outcome.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    not saying your isnt good, alot of people hatch that, way I just havent every tried it. I'm not willingto risk shipped eggs that I spent a lot of money on. I am going to try it this summer with some of my own eggs, that way i dont lose any money! I only let mine set 20hrs. Most websites say 18 hrs. Everyone has their own methods.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    o and you are suppose to let them sit upside down

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by