INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Welcome! Your chickens sound like my chickens when I just put them outside. All 24 would pile up in a corner and ignore the roost. Slowly week by week more went onto the roost.
    Congrats on the beautiful chicks! I want to thank everyone for helping back sometime ago with my chick with the injured leg. Thanks to everyones help, the chick can now run around and walk well (and join its other brooder mates escape the brooder).

2. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Welcome from Modoc!

3. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I had posted: Speaking of colors-- My reply box has no color choices today! And my PM box has glitches, too. Geez. [​IMG]
    Too Fast responded: Just click more/less button on the right side of the reply box to get the colors back.

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work. I don't know why it suddenly changed. Is anyone else not able to use colors? I am lost without colors!

[​IMG]
    I am still reading posts, but I'm going to go ahead and post photos I took today. Yes, I realize that taking photos of brown chickens against brown mulch/dirt is not the smartest decision. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bantam Chocolate Orp, Bonbon, in front, Jubilee Orp, Adeline, facing backwards
    Both 4.5 month old pullets, not yet laying

[​IMG]
    This photo shows the chocolate color better. She is very sweet, friendly, and much more
    bold around the five big hens than Adeline who is as large as some of the hens.

[​IMG]
    Out of focus, but she's reddish brown. I'll have to take a photo of her neck feathers
    when the sun illuminates them because they are iridescent orange. Adeline has always
    been sweet, but very nervous. She was a great nurse for Violet.

[​IMG]
    Love those feathery bustles! Both orps are SO soft.

4. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Welcome Delawaremommy! I had not heard of Delaware chickens before, so I just looked them up and learned something new! That's one of the great things about this thread; it doesn't matter if you are a newbie or have a lifetime of experience. We are also friendly, encouraging, fun, and love photos.
    [​IMG]
    Craftychick~ Hope your doggie is recovering.
    Housecat~ I thought you split your chick order with a friend. If you just have one boy out of a dozen, you are lucky!
    CHHHICKENS~ Not sure what tests you want to do for your chickens, but don't forget about the Free Flock Health Screening through the Indiana State Poultry Association. www.inpoultry.org/.../T-12%20Flyer%203-1-12%20With%20form.pdf
    Originally Posted by Leahs Mom [​IMG]

[​IMG] I give up...
    Missed one day and I just can't catch up. Not enough time. If anyone wants to give me a recap of the last 2 days that would be great.

Leahs Mom~ I don't have colors anymore and I haven't seen that emoticon before either! What's going on-- I am left out! [​IMG]
    Btw, great hen and chicks photo!
    julie0477~ Exciting photo-- Congrats on your surprise chicks!
    CRSelvey~ I sure hope you find your blue girl. In the past year and a half that we've had chickens, there have been many times that I've forgotten to shut the door at dusk and remembered later after dark. It's just human nature to forget or become distracted by something else-- like children. Hopefully she'll be okay. [​IMG]

5. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Farker Farms~ Sorry you're having difficulty with your layers. From what I've read, I'd say stress, especially changing coops, adding flock members, as well as some of your hens being young layers can affect egg production. So four of yours were ones you bought they are over a year old? No problem with that; I'm just figuring out what you have. Many of us have hens who've experienced quirky laying patterns this summer. Hang in there!

pginsber~ My BR has a few times laid long, large eggs like your photo.
    [​IMG]

Although I don't find incredibly large eggs from my hens, all of the photos and weighing of eggs has me intrigued. Just for comparison, here's what my hens usually lay:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I got a postal scale off ebay, and still need an egg scale like johns. This is like the one I bought:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accuteck-Dr...142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d43a09206
    ( [​IMG] Hope i don't get flagged!) I use it for processed turkeys/roos to get before and after weight, and to monitor sick birds if needed. Its worked really well.
    Wow may be a double yolker! You can use a dog crate, But I just kept removing the broodies from the nest, welding gloves on... I left no eggs, even the fakes and golfballs. It took 3 weeks but finally broke 2 australorps, 1 EE and one GLW that way. I have 6 boxes, so that many broodies was not going to work!

1 person likes this.
  7. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    UGH I agree! I watch close when a customer with kids come, or a chicken sitter other than my DD.
    Congrats! I have yet to get a double! (that i know of)

8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    you will see a lot of odd stuff with new layers.
    WOW a lot of changes for the hens. Be patient, stress, feed changes, fear are all there.I am surprised any are laying. Check for mites too, if their stress is high resistance is down.

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    lol, i know. If i miss a day i have to just skim. Thanks for the links!
    [​IMG]and our thead! [​IMG]
    she did her job! Shame the others were infertile. Have had 2 shipments like that.

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] hoping it works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by