INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Songster

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Mother2hens- Thank you for the visuals and the calendar. It helps a lot.
    AMWChikin- I'm still trying to work that out myself. You let me know how it goes for you if you do try. My DH seemed pretty serious, but I'm still working on him.
    OldSalt- You are still hilarious. Who needs Calgon when we have such a funny and informative group here?!?
    IndyBirdMan- Its just my opinion, but start now so it will be ready when you have chicks. Otherwise, they will be living at home with you for much too long. There is always a change or addition you will want to make but its good to have a home for them to start. I wish I had known that up front. And make it at least double what you think you need in case you want more later. It seems to happen to everyone here. Welcome!
    MrTattoohead- I am really sorry that she doesn't seem to be improving. I hope tomorrow will be better for you both.

Thank you everyone for the good wishes of my hen's return. Bella came back the next morning and then that same night disappeared again. I know its because she doesn't have friends (that's what I'm telling my DH so please don't say otherwise) and she doesn't want to sleep alone. Nobody will snuggle with her yet. Anyway, the next day she was back again, so I put my 5 year old on catching her (she's really fast) and then we promptly clipped her wing even shorter (and named her). I also moved the dog crate I had next to the fence out of the way, so Bella doesn't have a step anymore.

Today we made a lot of progress again on the coop. The hardware cloth is about 90% complete and buried. We still need to attach the door and do some landscaping, such as plants, sand, and mulch. I will be going over the whole thing with another coat of paint or stain because I just don't love the color. I need a better lock on the nesting box and one for the door. DONE. Well until I add the additional run. My DH was starting to bury the cloth in the place where I want to put the addition and when I stopped him, he said "you mean you were planning to do that this year?????" Well, duh....LOL. We compromised. I have to finish the paint first. No problem. I love to paint. We already have the concrete that will eventually turn into a brick if I don't use it for something, RIGHT? I have the posts, screws, and washers. I just need another roll of hardware cloth. Which brings me to another story...

When putting the hardware cloth up today, that stuff bounced off and stabbed me in the thumb. Should be no big deal right? It didn't even bleed. It seems like it went in between the joint in my thumb and after ice and aleve, I can now touch my thumb without wanting to cut it off. My thumb will not bend, nor will it quit throbbing. I think I damaged a nerve. I do not like hardware cloth anymore. We are not friends.

By the way, I remember someone posting comments about how much their chickens like left over spaghetti, so this week I tried it out after dinner. It was a feeding frenzy. AMAZING. Now when I come to the gate, they all come running like I'm going to give them more. It was so funny to watch. I guess its a good thing we always have some leftovers here.

I hope you guys all have a great day tomorrow. BTW- My editor is not acting right. Is that happening to anyone else?

1 person likes this.
  2. danand

danand Songster

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Rural king in Greensburg had strait run barred rocks and Cornish cross yesterday!! If I wasn't certain I'd pic Roos, I'd have got a couple BR!!

3. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Songster

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    We went to my husband's high school class reunion this evening and I had a great excuse to leave early . . . I had to go home to lock the coop door! And actually, before I locked the coop I had to get the two brown orp girls out of the bushes where they roost every evening and put them in the coop. I can't blame them for not being excited about entering the Coop of Doom with The Five Mean Hens. Luckily no one was available to take care of the chickens, so I had a good reason for leaving early. (I returned later to pick him up before he could run off with his old high school gf)

Indybirdman~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread! Please look on page 1290 (10 pages ago --posted in a day and a half!) to see information about this thread. Regarding your questions about getting started-- I'd start right away on the coop since you have the wood available and the weather is good. As others have said, the coop always takes longer than you expected.

KristyAz~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread! Not sure I'd move to Mishawaka . . . each time I clicked on any of their city government links, nothing appeared! Not a good sign. Nearby South Bend passed a backyard chicken ordinance.

amwchickin~ Maybe your Dad will be too distracted by the litter of puppies to notice additional chickens. At least Australian Shepherd puppies should appeal to BYC people, so hopefully you'll find good homes/jobs for them.

MrTattoohead~ You could always call the Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic in Indy to ask for advice. (317) 879-8633 It's a relief that apparently your other flock members have not been affected by Sesame's mystery illness.

CRSelvey~ Bella really doesn't have a friend or are you using the same angle that you're using regarding your Cochin? Your husband might suggest that the two be friends-- problem solved. Just giving you a head's up, so you can get your rebuttal prepared.
    When I've worked with chicken wire, I've decided that it's the worst and then when I've worked with hardware cloth, I've decided that it's the worst. They both are horrible. Hope your thumb improves. It's amazing how the smallest injuries seem to hurt the worst.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Songster

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    YES! Mine totally changed a few days ago and I've had glitches with it and with my PM count-- it varies back and forth and makes no sense.

5. julie0477

julie0477 Songster

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    haha that's exactly what I did this year ;)

6. julie0477

julie0477 Songster

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Columbus had Isa brown PULLETS and Cornish X. I've never had ISA brown. Should I try a couple? I shouldn't. I should! No I shouldn't.....

7. julie0477

julie0477 Songster

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    [​IMG][​IMG] the lighting wasn't the best I took these pics last night. I hope they are clear enough. These are the two silkies I picked up at rural king this year. They are 17 weeks now and for the life of me I can't figure out if they are girls or boys! Any thoughts?

8. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Two boys. I can see sickles in the first one's tail, streamers in both of their crests, and their combs and wattles are too big for a 17 week old Silkie pullet.

9. julie0477

julie0477 Songster

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    crud. And so I feared lol. Ok thanks!

10. MrTattoohead

MrTattoohead In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    Sesame now has a private room (in the garage, closed. In a cat litter box full of bedding). Food and water within reach as she doesn't seem to be standing much just kind of flopping/flapping/kicking along. She's pretty much only a keelbone at the moment but she eats like a champ and is pooping regular. I figure as long as her appetite is healthy we'll keep trying... *shrug*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by