INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. MrTattoohead

MrTattoohead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    Sick Chiken

So Sesame is still eating like a champ but after we cleaned her legs and feet, with a baby wipe, of yard waste (because she is inclined to sit) she now has a hard time standing at all. No sores, no blood, nothing broken (as far as I can tell). Mostly she's laying on her side.

Feeding her raw beef liver, yogurt, warm mash twice a day. Save a chik in a container near her and layer feed as well.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Hi Everyone, we will be moving back to Indiana next spring. Does anyone know the status of getting the ordinances changed in Mishawaka? The last thing I could find was from April, 2013. I will be in the city limits. Thanks!

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I have spoke with him and emailed him. He is very nice and helpful.

As for the breeder indicator, I hatch eggs, but I don't consider myself a breeder yet. But I do enjoy selling the young chicks I hatch. It is the only way I can keep hatching and it helps pay for feed.

Lastly does anyone in the greenwood or Bargersville area want to sell a few dozen eggs for close to $3 a dozen? I have a friend who just bought the last of my eggs, my chickens are entering molt. In 2-3 weeks she will be looking for 4-6 dozen more eggs. I don't think I would have that many if I saved every egg laid.

4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I'm sorry :(. I was hoping for better news today.

5. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    well, if you start with chicks in the fall you will have fresh new layers early spring which is great but you may need to keep them indoors longer than usual if it's too cold out. That's the only draw back. If you go late spring you can put them out any time after four weeks (at least I do) but waiting all summer for eggs is a bummer! I guess it's mostly preference. I always get chicks late spring and then wish i'd started earlier. Ha And Welcome! Let us know what you end up getting! :)

6. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Mr Tatoo- I'm sorry, I thought with all those things shed be better too! There are some avain vets around if you are willing to spend the money. Hang in there. Have you tried antibiotics? Don't know....just an idea.

Indybirdman- do you have any idea what breeds you are interested in? Do you want large Fowl or Bantys? Brown eggs, tan, white? And do you want birds more apt to be friendly and tame? Lots of info and experience in our group. Ask away!!;)

7. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Call Rural King or one of the other farm supply stores and find out what varieties of chicks they are going to have available soon. Then ask for comments on this thread. By spring, you will have eggs. If you are not interested in butchering excess roosters, get all pullets. For a rooster, there are always people on this thread offering them for free. You can get one or more whenever you are ready. Also, since sexing chicks is not a 100% proposition, you may end up with one anyhow.

John

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  8. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Or you could get chicks both this fall AND next spring! [​IMG] Welcome to this group of chick-a-holics!

2 people like this.
  9. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    I wish I was closer to you -- I have about 13 dozen in the fridge right now. I could use some more buyers!

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I like this option!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by