INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to the thread. We originally planned on getting 4 and went to TSC during chick days last April. The girl asked me how many and I said 4. She said the minimum was 6 so I said, we want 6. [​IMG] Anyway, if you really only want 4, I thought I would point that out.
    I am almost in Greenwood, about a mile North of County Line Road. Stop 11 and Emerson is closest crossroads. I should be able to at least chip in. We are getting 5 or 6 a day right now and my wife likes to give them to friends. Let me know.

2. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    It is good that she's still eating and has a good appetite. Keep us updated...

4. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I am rethinking Mishawaka actually because although I was thinking this move may be temporary, so in the city was fine, I am now thinking that it may be more permanent and in that case, I would want a more rural home with some acreage. Will be home-searching in Waky, Nappannee, etc. for a farm instead. Still close to Mishawaka and my mother-in-law who needs us back there as her health is failing.

Anyway, thank you for the warm welcome and I'll see you around as our move becomes closer.

5. MrTattoohead

MrTattoohead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Bloomington, IN

Moved her in her cat bed back to the run to be with the other girls.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I am going to decatur rural king today. I am hoping that they have some chicks, anything BUT cornish cross [​IMG]
    Quote:
    I have alkways had problems with my pm count. If I get 1 pm it says I have 2.

7. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yay, puppies! Congrats! [​IMG] Is dad an Australian Shepherd too?

1 person likes this.
  8. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    I don't think I would leave her around your other chickens. Hate to sound like the voice of doom, but her symptoms strongly resemble Marek's, which is fatal and highly contagious. If this is what it is, your others have been exposed and can be carriers even if they don't develop the disease, so you wouldn't be able to sell any of them and any new birds you bring in would have to be vaccinated at least a week before being around the others.

I've had experience with MD, and it's nasty. The chicken loses coordination, becomes weak, and loses weight while eating what would be a healthy amount--eventually is unable to get to its food on its own. If it lives long enough, it will develop tumors. The only way that it can be diagnosed for certain is through a necropsy by a diagnostic lab (Purdue in Indiana), and there is no treatment or cure.

KristyAZ has a couple of links in her signature (by the way, welcome to our thread, KristyAZ!) that you might want to check out. I think that M2H also posted some info a while back.

I hope that I am just blowing smoke in your case, but precautions never hurt!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  9. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Thank you to everyone who pm'ed me with updates to the members list. I think i got everyone updated, however, if I missed you, PLEASE let me know!

To everyone else, if you would like to be added to our members list or have an update, please send me a PM with the following information:
    Username
    County (optional)
    City (optional)
    Species (chicken, duck, goat, etc)
    Breed
    Variety Color
    Large Fowl or Bantam
    If you breed them (or plan to breed in the near future)

I will update your information as soon as I get a chance. I will not add any information that you do not send (so if i know you breed but dont tell me, I wont put it on there as Im assuming you dont want people to know).

Here is a link to the list:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dC1LT3NiWkd0eGVkdnJHRm9Gcy1GNGc&rm=full#gid=0

Also, I believe it was Old Salt who recommended using the hatching chicken to note if they breed or not. I liked that idea, however since we are using google to make the list, it does not "support" emoticons on this forum. I can see if we can put pictures on the list though as I may be able to download the image and paste it on google docs.

10. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Welcome. I got Chicks in September last year. It was nice to be feeding smaller birds during the winter instead of full grown birds. But wow waiting until January for eggs was hard. If you only want 4, I'm guessing that you want all girls. You may be able to find some at the upcoming shows for sell that are already laying or close to laying. I have some on CL too as I'm sure others will later this fall. People like me that need to reduce for the winter are either trying to sell off chickens or we are processing them. If you live near a person that already offers eggs for sell they might have a hen or too for sale as well. But I have to agree with a prior poster, finish the coop or nearly finish it before you get the chicks, started pullets, or hens. A run well that can be made after you get the chickens but the coop is needed nearly right away. Also while the min order for most hatcheries is 3, their shipping is rather high. For the price of 4 hatchery chicks shipped to you, you could get 4 fancy show chicks at the chicken shows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by