INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

So this is Sesame up close this afternoon. She's panting because it's hot. Maybe somebody can spot something I don't see. Taking her to the avian vet tomorrow, so yeah...

Please do keep us updated as soon as you find anything out for sure.
caf.gif

woohoo! got a new layer today. my tolbunt pullet laid her first egg (or i guess it could be a naked neck pullet but they are supposed to be brown egg layers). its kind of nice to get eggs of different colors now!

tolbunt egg, legbar egg, birchen marans egg, and naked neck egg
e1fc9287785e7232e19af74a1c357ad0_zpsb67416c7.jpg

ok, i admit scanning over a thousand posts! made a trip to orshelyn in seymour and heard "chirp, chirp, chirp" my daughter and I's eyes got big, and we ran toward the sound. YES, they have chicks in September! my girl said "this isn't chick season!?!" she's 6. anyway... my eggs in the incubator are due to hatch tomorrow or tuesday.... aaaaaaannnnnddddd i have chicks to be delivered the this week :) getting excited

So this is Sesame up close this afternoon. She's panting because it's hot. Maybe somebody can spot something I don't see. Taking her to the avian vet tomorrow, so yeah...
MrTattoohead~ Watermelon or cut up grapes are good for keeping chickens hydrated. You are doing the right thing by taking her to the vet to find out exactly what's going on. You're doing a great job taking good care of Sesame. Several members have guessed it's Marek's, but it might not be so stay positive. Hopefully, it's something with a cure. We will be anxious to hear the diagnosis and are wishing you the best.
fl.gif

Originally Posted by Old Salt 1945
For a chicken coop, you might think about getting a utility shed. You can get them cheap or fancy. If you change your mind about chickens, you will still have a useable shed. John

That's a good point to tell Indybirdman, Old Salt/John! He could use the donated wood he's receiving to make boxes or partitions, etc. inside the shed.
Indybirdman, check craigslist for sheds or adaptable structures, too. There are many members of this thread who are talented at repurposing existing structures or materials. In addition, here are some ideas from the main BYC site: https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=repurposing

Well I just walked outside to a surprise. I go outside to feed my chickens and I see they are all outside of the pen! I was so sure a hawk took one because there's a lot of hawks where I live, but surprisingly they were all there still. I figured i forgot to lock the gate and the wind blew it open. I got lucky this time.

ok, i admit scanning over a thousand posts! made a trip to orshelyn in seymour and heard "chirp, chirp, chirp" my daughter and I's eyes got big, and we ran toward the sound. YES, they have chicks in September! my girl said "this isn't chick season!?!" she's 6. anyway... my eggs in the incubator are due to hatch tomorrow or tuesday.... aaaaaaannnnnddddd i have chicks to be delivered the this week :) getting excited
ha! What kind did they have? And where is this store I've never heard of it...

That is just not right.  you have khaki's right? 
I have one khaki and one Pekin. Yesterday I made home made pancakes and used a duck egg. I can't remember from which duck. After she ate it she laid in bed with a stomachache for hours. That afternoon and evening she was fine. This morning I made scrambled eggs with all duck eggs. Again sick all morning til she threw up, and then she was fine. The rest of us eat them with no bad reaction. I might try again next weekend to confirm but it sure seems like its the eggs :(

How does your khaki duck compare in size to your chickens? my khaki ducks are 10 weeks old and they are larger than my production red chickens. Also about how old are you ducks? I'm curious as when to expect an egg.

Back
Top Bottom