INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Babies! They are beautiful!!!!

2. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Oh, how adorable, Leahs Mom! :love I love its little face markings!

3. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Aaaawwwhhhhhh!!! Babies!!!;)

4. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    cute chicks!

5. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Kiniska~ Sweet! I would love to see the mother hen interact with the babies. I guess I'll have to find some youtube videos of mother hens with their chicks to appease my maternal instincts.
    What do others do about perches when their flocks are mixed with LF and bantams?
    I have a question I should have thought about earlier-- my choc. bantam orp. Bonbon sits on a chicken-sized perch with my jubilee orp Adeline every night in the coop. It's a (I think 2") dowel rod that was sorta made into a square-ish shape by sanding. Anyway, I'm wondering if it's hard on her feet to stretch them over a large perch. If I added a smaller one, then I'm wondering how that would affect the pecking order. It would be as if she had a designated seat. Right now, the two orps sleep in the run part of the coop, but I'm betting that as it get cooler, they'll end up roosting with the hens.
    CRSelvey~ I just noticed that my rectangular groups of Reply tools switched places again! Weird.
    Btw, I know that your escape artist hen is a blue Ameracauna who is a loner and you have the bantam Cochin (I think it's from Old Salt) who is a loner, so I figured your husband would "just tell those two to hang out together," but it sounds like you have lots of cliques. I'd ask how they get along at night, but I think that all chickens, even if they're in a tight-knit flock have a big fight every night about where they're going to sleep! [​IMG]

Even though my two orps hang out together, Bonbon is so bold that I think she will be the one to take the lead for them to join the others. When I bring treats out, Bonbon runs right up alongside the big hens like she's one of them and Adeline hides under a bush. I throw some berries one way and as the flock runs toward them, I throw some under the bush for Adeline. [​IMG]

6. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Elkhart county is a great place to be! We live in Goshen & my husband drives every day to downtown South Bend to work -- takes about 40 minutes. Mishawaka is even closer towards us. There are always ads in the paper for upcoming farm/land auctions in the area.

7. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Leah's Mom - What sweet little chicks! You will have to keep us posted with pictures as they grow.

8. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    CRselvy, sorry about your thumb. We all learned from you, don't stick your thumb with hardware cloth. Wear gloves!

To the S. Bend people, I grew up in that area and have family there still. I know they just allowed chickens in S. Bend, but I don't know about Mishawaka.

It's gonna get hot this week, then get cold this weekend. Are we going to use the AC this week, and turn on the heat next? Typical IN weather.

9. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In

10. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    The temps sure are crazy. Our current forecast is for a high of 87 today, 93 tomorrow and a high of 69 on Friday! I'm sure the animals will appreciate the cooler weather after the next couple of days. I should get out & pick beans & tomatoes & water the garden while it's still cool & then get my canning done before the kitchen heats up too much -- I hate having to turn on the AC for just a day or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by