INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I've found a few eggs on the ground when mine first start laying, but usually by the 2nd or 3rd egg they start laying in the nest boxes.

2. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    I got mine to start using the nesting boxes by placing a plastic Easter egg in the boxes for a few days. I thought the guy that told me to do this was nuts but it worked.

3. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I'm starting to look at mine too. I have 7 now, and I have noticed that about half of them look like yours (two of them should, they came from the same place. [​IMG] I'm also thinking they are closer to 12 weeks than 8) and the others have the same barring on their necks varying from grey to gold, but the bodies seem to be mostly a dark grey color. All of the grey ones seem to have some sort of crest, but so does one that look like yours. The males at this point look similar to barred rocks, with some bits of brown starting to show on their wings. I'm going to join the Cream Legbar club and see if I can get a standard from them, as well of pictures of 'This is good' and 'This is not good'.

4. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    How's Seasame?
    JLo, our 23-wk old Cream Legbar pullet, has seemingly similiar symptoms as Sesame.
    We've been giving her watermelon & oatmeal sprinkled with crushed Vitamin B complex and Polyvisol (without iron) infused dried mealworms every day for 6 weeks. She has a great appetite, but her mobility and stamina are limited.
    We had brief improvement mid-August. She actually left the coop and went into the chicken run a couple of days. In the attached video, look at :27 second mark, the right side of the video. The sprawled leg chicken is JLo.[​IMG]
    JLo used to be quite a spitfire. She would charge the fence anytime the dogs came around. Now, she doesn't leave the coop floor. She hobbles/gimps around on the coop floor enough for poo-ing purposes, and eating layer crumble & drinks from the water nipples.
    She's vaccinated against Marek's, living in a brand new coop and brand new run, the first generation of chickens for us. No other pullets are symptomatic. We got 3 pullets from the breeder that hatched JLo and the rest are doing fine. All the other pullets are growing & progressing as layers, but her growth seems stunted somehow.
    We give up--don't know what else to do. We plan to take her to the Vet @ All Wild Things, probably this week.

5. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    They're pretty pullets! The next thing we know, Old Salt will be on the Poultry Show circuit.
    pginsber~ Sorry about the problems with JLo! Let us know what the vet says.

6. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    CRSelvey~ I'm ready to order a load of coarse sand/gravel for the coop floor and for a large sandbox that we made under a tree, in a shady, secluded area of the yard where the hens like to hang out. I looked online at Mulzer Crushed Stone, which has a location locally and the options include: Fill Sand, State Sand, Washed Pea Gravel. What did you purchase when you ordered a truck load? Maybe I should do a mix of the pea gravel with sand? I have no idea what State Sand is.

7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I don't know if it's because I'm looking at the picture on a tiny cell phone screen or what, but those birds look more like cream legbar cockerels to me, especially with combs like that at two months old... :oops:

8. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I place golf balls in lay boxes. I free range mine and they all lay in atleast the coop. Most lay in the boxes but the newest lay on the floor. After a couple times laying they go to theboxes.

9. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

10. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    I gave the location in Evansville a call and told them I had 23/24 sand and they said it was the same as State Sand. Its a little bit of everything. When I was trying to figure it out, I just went over for a quick look before getting someone to deliver it to me. They said its about $8-$9 per ton picked up at the site. I was going for a 4" layer in the 6x8 coop and 8*14 run. I had five tons delivered but I have walkways and other uses for it if I don't use it all in the coop (it can help my clay garden drain better ;-) ). I really like it but I need to get the right sized mesh for cleaning faster. The mesh I put on my pitch fork was just too small and caught all the bigger rocks. I'm still using a giant kitty litter scoop. Its been the most effective so far. You could probably get 2-3 in a truck, but I'm guessing.

Also, I was going to send you a message this morning but I got sidetracked with a tetanus shot. My Cochins from John are the buff...he couldn't part with any of his lovely blues, lol. They are full sized and so sweet. I was lucky enough to bring home one of his GLWs too. They don't all appear to be friends on closer inspection, but they still won't hang out with my Ameraucana. I was waiting for you to steal some of his blues while he's out at the poultry shows. I'll show you where they are [​IMG] . It will just make room for him to get even more pretty birds for his future in showing.
    Little Ameraucana Mom- I'm just curious, is Bella supposed to lay blue eggs or could they be something else?

The thumb is much better and gloves are a great idea! I just never think of them until after the fact. Instead, I drove to Plainfield to get a tetanus shot and antibiotics Rx. The doctor said I punctured the tendon and it will start bending again soon. YEA!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by