INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Browncow - What beautiful little chicks! I see that they have the chipmunk stripes like legbars and rhodebars. What breed are they?

2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Yes, no problem. What you do is to place a nest box over the top of where each hen is laying her eggs. Each day, move it 1 inch closer to the coop. In 2 or 3 years, you should have them trained to lay their eggs in the coop. [​IMG]

Pipped and a couple of the others had some good ideas some time back, but the particulars fell out of my head. If it doesn't relate to my particular situation, it doesn't stick. Just left with a bit of knowledge residue.

John

3. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Shoot me a link when you get joined.

John

4. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN

5. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    That has been a worrying niggle in the back of my mind. Especially when I see them doing neck feather ruffled face off with one another. I don't have a for-sure pullet to compare them to.

6. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Okay, I am on a big computer now, and those are 100% cockerels, but they don't really look like Cream Legbar cockerels do at that age. :/ This article has lots of pictures of Cream Legbars growing up - notice how the pullets have less barring and more of a partridge type of pattern: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/cream-legbars-from-chick-to-adult

7. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    ALWAYS wear leather cloves when working with fencing/wire. Not only does it protect your hands, it allows you to more confidently control it. You don't want a cut end to flip up and hit you in your face. You could go from pretty to pretty messed up in an instant.

It is harder to do, but when you unroll fence wire, do it backwards of the natural tendency so that the curl is DOWN. That way, when you cut it, the ends won't pop up at you and re-coil.

It's easy to do. Grab the end and walk away from the coil, letting it roll along behind you.

John

1 person likes this.
  8. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Oh, goody. More roosters. The "lady" from Illinois managed to put one over on a couple of Indiana rubes!

Oh, well. Everything I have ever learned was done the hard way. Why stop now.

Thanks, Pip.

John

9. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I've seen the face off happening too, but from both the barred and the partridge types. And they were facing off with one of my Leghorns that is definitely laying eggs.
    Ugh. I went through the pics you linked to. The two males I have definitely look like the males in the pics. Of the 6 3mth old pullets? 2 look like the ones in the pics, and the other 4 look like John's birds (two of those have even bigger combs). But those don't look like any of the birds in the photoset. I have another that I hatched out that is about 7 weeks now, and from looking at her, I think she may be the partridge type, fingers crossed there.

10. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by