INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Old salt- if those are Roos ...you might find homes for them with us!!! They are pretty!!!

2. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Beautiful pics as always Pip!

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    My HRIR aren't laying yet either at 23.5 weeks and I've been told that they may not lay until 32-40 weeks of age. Still I keep checking about twice a week. As the time gets closer I will be sure and check daily even if it is only week 30.

4. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    my chicks will be delivered tomorrow! yay! hope they call me early in the am. i'll call when i get up just to make sure they won't sit there all day

1 person likes this.
  5. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG] Very good advice and reminder on bio-security. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" [​IMG]

Whenever I go anywhere that has animals I have a different pair of "barn shoes" that I only wear when visiting and then wash in the washer when I get home. (Also don't wear any of the clothing I had on .. change into different clothing before going back to my own birds and sometimes even that a full bath/shower as well.

It is for my own flock's health, but it is also courtesy to the other chicken owner. So if I ever come to visit your place, you will know that I'm not bringing something from the soils that my birds may have immunities to - but yours may not. I think that is a matter of respect for the other owners.

I don't let folks go near my chicken area if they have their own flock - unless I know that they have come with clean, unused shoes for the same reason.

I have to admit...when y'all talk about going to the swaps I have a little "cringe" sensation. I was even nervous about going in the poultry barns at the 4H fair this year as I didn't want to bring anything home. It was obvious that were sick birds there.

Even worse, people will bring sick birds to the swaps and sell to unsuspecting people just to get rid of them and make a little money. (Perhaps like the person that sold John those cockerels as pullets - there are just some people that don't seem to have a conscience.) It is unthinkable, but I know SEVERAL people that has happened to before they were educated enough to be able to spot a sick bird. And some sicknesses you couldn't tell just by looking any way.

I hope everyone is quarantining new birds before introducing into the flock! And...washing clothing and shoes before re-entering your own flocks after going to the meets. It is very important!

4 people like this.
  6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Waiting to hear about Sesame too...[​IMG]

7. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    i am by no means an expert on legbars however they dont look like anything ive seen for a pullet. but i also dont really look "roosterish" especially the comb. i would think it would be much larger than that. Ill go and get some pictures of my oldest girl. Below is a picture of the roo before he became hawk lunch. [​IMG] I would recommend sending a message to "babymakes6" as she is a "leader" of one of the legbar clubs. she was a member of this thread but havent seen her post much lately.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  8. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I guess I can google it, but does anyone know what the lifespan of these diseases are outside of a host?

9. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    good question!!!!

10. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    so i moved 2 of the younger silkies in with the older group last night. they younger ones were just a tad smaller than most of them, but larger than the oegb in that pen. The showgirl pullet was establishing the pecking order, but overall, it went very well. I checked on them around 11pm last night and they were all huddled in the corner. i went out today and one of the younger girls was dead. There was no external injuries. I think she got shuffled to the bottom of the pile and got smothered. needless to say, the other silkie got put back in her original box with the even younger silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by