INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Can you refresh my memory...do the welsumer's have feathered feet?

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Welsummers don't have feathered feet in the meyer catalog.

I'm ordering some production layers from Meyer. They are hatching on the 23rd of this month. The soonest I could get the production deal. Anyone near me want to add a chick or two and save on shipping. I think my shipping will increase by $2 for up to the next 25 chicks. Sure beats paying just over $33 for small order shipping. Send me a PM if you want to add to my order.

3. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Nope. Just plain yellow chicken feet. The females are colored very similarly to a light brown leghorn. If you look back at pics of Pipd's Whiri, they have the same color, just not the big floppy comb (of which I am very jealous). Eggs are dark brown, but not as dark as a maran. Mine lay about 5 each a week.

4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I had no idea basic h could be used in this way. I had the same bottle for at least a couple of years as it lasts forever but I'm finally out. Looks like its time to get some more!

5. HouseKat

HouseKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    A few weeks ago I bought a new 7 gallon waterer so DH and I wouldn't have to carry the smaller waterers we'd been using back and forth, up and down the hill in our yard all the time. The first time DH went to refill the new waterer there were mosquitoes inside of it that flew out and attacked him when he opened it up. We've now refilled it several times and each time there was a new batch of mosquitoes in it. Any suggestions for how to keep the mosquitoes from making a home in it? Some kind of additive for the water maybe?

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    juile0477- Here are some pics of my girl as a chick and at about 4 months old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    cooking oil ~ it will float and make a skimming covering to keep the bugs out of the water. I would add it slowly to make sure to use as little as possible, not because it would hurt the chickens just to save money.

1 person likes this.
  8. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    would adding ACV deter the mosquitoes as well?

9. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    ha! They are almost identical! Thanks for the pics. Did the girls turn out to be decent layers?

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Ya they are. your welcome. And they havent started laying yet. I am thinking because they are mixed with brahmas and they are slow at maturing.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by