INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

2. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Anyone here from Granger? We are looking at a home there, no HOA for this house, so other than that wondering if I could have some chickens there? The home has about 1 acre and not in one of the subdivisions in Granger.

3. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I would take it just in case it hatches during the night. I would not want to risk finding out the hen had pecked it while I was sleeping. Also your rescued chick, when it survives will need a brooding buddy or a mirror. The brooding buddy is easier.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    She will most likley attack the other if it hatched too.And if she hatches eggs again will most likley peck all the hatches. You could let her hatch the egg and watch so as soon as it hatches you can take it away

5. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Any reason why the broody hen pecks the chicks. I can understand the past is a good indicator of the future. What I'm more of asking is if the hen can smell the true laying hen and somehow know they aren't hers or something else that would make her hate the chicks she just spent over 2 weeks hatching.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I really dont know why they peck the chicks. I have had hens hatch eggs from other hens and mother them just fine. I have never had a hen peck her chicks, but they usually repeat the pattern

7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

No. Hatcheries do not have heritage breeds. They have birds that are labelled as heritage breeds. Compare any hatchery bird to a heritage bird from a breeder, and you can see that they are far from the same. Hatchery birds often have the wrong shape, size, and sometimes even color (as is the case for their RIRs and so-called 'Americana/Araucanas'). As far as their egg laying abilities, outcrossing isn't a magic fix-all for all the bird's problems. Just because you take a poor layer and cross it with a super layer doesn't mean the offspring will be 'excellent' layers. It's probably safe to say, though, that these hatchery birds, even the poor layers, lay better (and earlier) than their high quality counterparts.

Notice also that I didn't say they were mixes, I said they were outcrossed in the past. This means that a different breed (or a different color of the same breed) was crossed in to improve the line in some way, and then the offspring of this cross bred back to pure birds with the hope that that improvement can be maintained in future generations. Outcrossing is performed even in show quality lines, but is often more controlled in that setting because unlike with hatcheries that mass produce and so they have hundreds of birds, breeders typically have small breeding groups and can cull anything undesirable in generations after the outcross as they work to improve the breed by the standard.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

I am so very sorry. Please visit the other threads I showed earlier in this thread. There are others with md in their flocks and can help. They have helped me tremendously.

Will you be having a necropsy done? Did they do blood work?

It is so easy to become attached to these little creatures. You did a good thing today. She was loved and she knew it. You can't really do much more than that.

Deb

9. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    here are a few more pictures of chicks i dont think ive ever posted. these are some chicks from Hoosier Silkies. Id have to double check age. Im not sure what the golden colored chick is, but has some blue in it as well, Porcelain? the others are splash and a blue.

unsure of color chick. thinking its a roo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

splash 1 chick. thinking its a roo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

splash 2. thinking its a pullet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

blue chick. thinking its a pullet.