INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    [​IMG]

So, how is the hatch going? I am intrigued with these birds.[​IMG]

May the chicken gods smile on your endeavor. And may you keep us posted on progress.

John

3. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    So far so good. Ill be recandling in the next couple days but many had veining the last time I candled. Ill keep you posted.

4. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    All these posts of Cream Legbars is killing me. I want one so bad but really don't want to raise chicks again until next fall. Bradselig you better have some eggs ready first thing this spring because I'm gonna be knocking!

Acquisition list for next spring.... CCL, BLGW, & a Blue Standard Cochin. Should round out the flock nicely. I'm sure by that time I'm going to discover some other breeds I want. I only have you all to blame...

On the nesting box topic I currently have golf balls in the boxes. I left the chickens in the run/coop area until about 1 today and will do that for a couple days. Could be they just aren't laying yet. Someday I'll get that million dollar egg.

5. FarkerFarms

FarkerFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Boo! Can't you just invest in a quality rooster to bring the quality of the chicks up a bit? I'm new to chickens but that seems like it should work to me! They are beautiful to me! Plus, this breed seems a bit rare around here so I would think you would have interest no matter what. Just one noobs opinion! :)

6. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Thanks for the info. I know what you mean. I've been looking at more pics of Cream Legbars, and it seems the more colorful the roo, the farther from the standard he is. I found out in England, there are actually two other legbar colors. Gold and Silver. It seems that that the Legbars that got imported to the US have some gold in their background and this is what people are trying to get rid of. The Gold and Silver are not crested, and lay tinted eggs, not blue.

So it looks like if you want to breed to the Standard, you can go the Gold route, which has really bold colors, but no crest or blue eggs. Or the Cream route, which has the crests and blue eggs. I was torn about this at first, but then I prioritized what I wanted out of the birds. Lots of Blue eggs were first, neat crests were second. Everything else was lower priority. So that makes my decision for me. I just need to be more careful where I get my birds from now on. [​IMG] I'm looking forward to working with others on here to try to improve what we have.

1 person likes this.
  7. Delawaremommy

Delawaremommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Most Hatcheries have heritage breeds. They may not be show stock but they aren't necessarily "mixes" either. If you read the descriptions on hatchery birds it will tell you that they can be poor- excellent layers. If they are being mixed and bred for high production wouldn't the descriptions all read excellent? Although I do think for show you have to have better lines from quality breeders, the hatcheries are a good place to sample both production and heritage breeds.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana

ok it has been confirmed on surveylance video camera that my Gold Star is the one laying the dark brown eggs.

9. MrTattoohead

MrTattoohead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I want to thank all those who were concerned about our girl, Sesame.

We took her to the avian vet in Indianapolis this morning, and she believes our assumption of Marek's was correct.

We didn't feel it would be right to make her wait and suffer until we got an appointment at Purdue to make 100% sure.

We had her euthanized there at 11:40 this morning. It seemed like she went peacefully. As peacefully as a creature can. We decided to have it done there because neither of us have ever performed a cervical dislocation, and we weren't too sure about using carbon dioxide as a method.

She was a beautiful butterscotch colored Buff Orpington. She made us laugh. She rocked the coop and run. We miss her, we became too attached (which I guess happens with one's very first 'flock'). We'll be posting pictures of the other girls later and watching them like hawks. We (I) feel we owe it to Sesame.

Thank you again for your concern, it is much appreciated,

Mr Tattoohead

Sesame Chicken (at 13 weeks)

[​IMG]

Rest In Peace

10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    oh I am so sorry. What a thing to happen with your first flock. Hopefully the other girls have built up a resistance. :(. Thanks for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by