INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. MrTattoohead

MrTattoohead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Bloomington, IN

The other girls seem hale and healthy. When we let them out to forage they tear after each other and flap around. They get about four feet in the air and can go about 12 feet across the yard (not at four feet mind, more like a foot).

Sesame weighed less than 2 pounds (747 grams) today at ~19 weeks of age. The other girls have at least a pound on this and more on Kung Pao (our Jersey Giant).

We've never planned on showing or breeding. We just want a few eggs and a fun past time. So we don't go to swaps/meets/shows. I know of only two other flocks here in Bloomington, and we'll follow proper protocol if we do visit them.

Supposedly she was vaccinated by the company Orschlens purchases from, it may well have been something else but the vet said she wasn't digesting well when looking at her poop. She had stopped trying to stand and was getting around by wings and beak. Maybe we were wrong but she didn't seem well. We tried to make the best call. Through this we've found out a social media friend in the area is an old hand with chickens. She says if we see anything out of the ordinary we're to call her for assistance. So there a little bit of silver lining.

2. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    i'm sorry mr. tatoohead :( she was cute. i am partial to BOs, love their personalities

3. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    If it were me I would do exactly as you are doing and keep my healthy girls (while following a strict protocol). From what I've read this disease is way more prevelent than I originally thought. I am sure more of our adult birds have been exposed than we realize. Some breeds are more prone to it so there is a very good chance the rest of your flock will be just fine. And if you do ever decide to hatch a few eggs to expand your own flock you could be passing down that resistance which is sort of another silver lining. An employee at rural king told me they sold vaccinated chicks earlier this year (I had a whole other problem with them). I questioned that but I never found a number to the main office to call and confirm. Who knows.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Btw it does sound like you did the right thing. you were doing all the right things and she was not getting better. :(

5. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    Thank you for letting us know. It's hard, but you made the loving and humane decision.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I had an easter egger that didnt lay until she was 10 months old.

1 person likes this.
  7. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Did you download that off the NSA website?[​IMG]

John

1 person likes this.
  8. HouseKat

HouseKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    We have ten chickens and we're filling the waterer about halfway, emptying and refilling every two to three days. We started off with much smaller waterers that sometimes didn't last the whole day.

I got a suggestion about "mosquito dunks" and ordered a few off of Amazon to try them out.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    easter eggers can lay brown eggs. EE X dark cornish

10. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Well, I just had another up and down afternoon. When I got home and did a check for eggs, I had a surprise. One of the eggs that my broody phoenix was sitting on had hatched! I didn't think there was any way she could do it, considering all the interference from the other chickens, and she is only at 18 days from when I gave her the eggs. From first glance, it looks like it came from one of the Brahma eggs, and it does have feathered feet. The father is probably the Fayoumi, although it has an outside chance that it could be a partridge cochin.

That was the good news. The bad news is that I then watched new mommy try to peck it to death. I rescued it, but its pretty bloody about the head. I put together an emergency brooder, so we'll see how it goes.

Question to more knowledgeable folks (that means nearly all of you...) Should I leave the remaining egg with her now that I have relocated her to her own pen? Or is it that if she will attack one, she will attack them all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by