INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    It was my pleasure after all the help you have given me! I don't know enough about chickens to help anyone, but I do know how to research ;-). I thought it was the sand they use on the roads in the winter until they said differently. It helps to put a tarp down first if its not being dumped in a location where you want sand forever. I also found that a smaller dump truck is needed. The regular trucks haul 22 tons and don't want to be bothered with that kind of load. Our deliver was about $50 (more than the sand) [​IMG]

Oh, I hope so too, but I was just waiting to hear from Mr Tattoohead (Sesame's owner). I hope the silence isn't bad news. [​IMG]

2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nothing like freaking out that one of your hens is missing, only to find her under a larger hen in the nesting box. Silly girls have 4 nesting boxes, they all use the same one. For some reason they have been little egg factories this week. Last hurrah before fall I guess.

3. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Mine are the same way. They have 4 nesting boxes but they will all either wait for one or 2 will be in the same one together.

4. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    It's hard to tell from your picture what comb the barred bird has. If it is not a rose comb, then you definitely don't have a Dominique. And If you do have a Marans, that would be my vote for the egg producer. I was pretty surprised to see such dark eggs coming from a Gold Star. The Dark Brown is a Marans specialty. They are even darker than my Welsummers. And none of my other brown egg layers are even close to as dark.

I found this too to help distinguish between the two: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg0513355723923.html

5. gunchief25

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    She has a single comb. As I understand the Red Sexlinks (Gold Star) should lay dark brown eggs as well but I dont think she is the one laying them this time.

6. CRSelvey

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    I'm not sure color of brown you would call this, but my Red Sex Link laid the giant brown egg in this carton. The light green is my Easter Eggers and the other one is a large brown egg (organic) from the store. I have no idea what kind of birds they use for the store eggs, but it is darker than Lucy's.
    [​IMG]

7. gunchief25

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Well that would be light brown. This is a learning experience for me.
    [​IMG]

8. CRSelvey

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Me too and its so fun! They are my first two layers and I can't wait to see if anyone else will start this year.

9. gunchief25

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    I have 6 1 1/2 year old hens laying and 6 young ones that were this springs chicks. So far 2 have started laying.

10. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    We have 3 cream legbars and they all have crests. The 3 of them all line up in the video at the :30 second mark. The camera hog in the beginning of the video is a Golden Cuckoo Marans.
    When the CLs were babies they looked a little different than what OldSalts handsome birds in the picture look like now.
    [​IMG]
    In this photo above, there are 4 CLs with a Delaware in between, and the Golden Cuckoo Marans on the right. NOW, it's much easier to tell them apart, because the Marans is twice the size.
    According to the Cream Legbar page, the CL I think is the most beautiful is the least desireable in terms of the standard they are developing.
    [​IMG]
    The legbar on the far left (JLo) has a much more desireable color pattern than her sister in the middle (MsJackson) who I think has a beautiful partridge ticking or whatever the correct poultry feather term is. The blur on the far right of the picture is the Golden Cuckoo Marans.
    Here's a picture of our oldest CL (Aretha), who is turning out to be a beauty.
    [​IMG]
    In the end, who knows what they'll look like after their first molt. I was VERY disappointed to hear the opinion of the Cream Legbar board that our birds weren't really show winners and MsJackson wasn't even worth breeding because of the feathering pattern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by