INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    No she lays brown eggs. Dark Cornish maybe? The guy I got her from said she was crossed with a game chicken.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Brad- beautiful birds! Sorry about the silkie.

3. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I tryed the oil once it didn't really work, maybe I didn't use enough. In my big horse waterers I use gold fish, they eat all the larvae and help with the algae . I just get the feeder ones from the pet store.

You have such beautiful birds. !!

4. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Hi everyone. Just wanted to check in, as its been a while. Although I do read every couple of days.

My birds are doing well. My ee who was paralyzed is up and walking, eating and pooping well now. She still gets Super B complex in the water daily. I had 2 birds with ocular changes. One has passed, she flew into my dogs yard, and was sent out for necropsy to Purdue. She has tested negative for mericks disease. The other ocular change chicky went broody on me. I couldn't seem to break her, so I got her some eggs. There are 3 shells with holes this morning as its day 21 today 9 eggs total. Mamma is doing so good. She comes out once a day to do her daily walk, bath, poop and eat. Then right back to the eggs. Mamma and eggs are sectioned off in the coop. And I have a 4x4 hardware cloth enclosure made up for when the chicks can come out with mamma.

I also have my meat chickens coming, they should be here today or tomorrow. So I've been busy setting up brooder boxes for them. I need to work on transforming a shed into a coop for them.

For those of you who have chickens that are not walking. There is lots of information out there. I have done lots of reading. Check out the following threads. It is just for information. I am not saying you have mericks in your flock. But I figure the more prepared we are the better we can be. There is a life after Mericks disease. Even though my ocular bird came up negative for MD, I am still practicing like I have the disease. Its better for my birds safety. Bio security is our friend always.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock#post_10404620

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/752961/help-mareks-disease#post_10655906

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...le-tumor-thymus-response-mareks#post_10647590

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/752881/when-and-how-to-replace-our-flock#post_10654350

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...he-lows-and-pics-of-our-journey#post_10372780

These are threads started by people like us who have had problems with chickens walking, not eating. Later today, I will post some more reading information that I found or have been shown on MD.

I'm hoping all will be well for those of you who are experiencing the whole not walking thing. Its not always mericks. But the other diseases it could be, bio security still needs to be enforced for them as well.

Shoot, I gotta go, should not have been on this computer this morning. Lots to do today, so I need to get my butt in gear.

Have a good day everyone!

Deb

3 people like this.
  5. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

No hatchery will have heritage breeds of any kind. Their barred Rocks, Rhode Island reds, 'Americanas/Araucanas' (which are actually Easter-eggers), and most of the rest of their breeds have usually been bred more for production rather than for the standard, which has involved some obvious outcrosses. If you want heritage breeds, you will have to find a breeder with good stock and either purchase adults or hatching eggs from them.

And I know the question wasn't for me, but Frizzle is a partially dominant gene in chickens, in which the desired effect occurs when a bird carries one frizzle gene F and one wild-type smooth feathering gene f. A bird that is FF, carrying two frizzle genes, is what's known as a frazzle or curly, and their feathers are usually brittle, leaving the bird bald for much of the time in most cases. A bird that is ff is smooth feathered like most every bird you see. This gene is not breed specific, nor is it specific to bantams (I think many frizzle Polish are LF, as a matter of fact), but has only been bred into certain breeds at the moment--a cross to make, say, a frizzled RIR would take many generations of crossing back to pure RIRs to improve type and return to the standard.

1 person likes this.
  6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Just curious how many birds you have? 7 gallons is a lot of water. My 10 probably don't use even a half gallon a day. Maybe even less than a pint between them all.

Water will get stale (there is a word for it but I can't remember) so it's good to change to fresh water every couple of days at least in the summer anyway...

7. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I go through about 500 gallons a day, so to me 7 gallons seem like a small amount. of course that is to fill 5 swimming pools for the geese and duck, fill horse tanks and water all the chickens ( and don't dare ask how many I have, don't know and won't tell !!! LOL !!)

8. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    It seems that my Dominique is not a Dominique at all. She is a Cuckoo Maran. So it is a toss up as to which hen is laying the dark brown eggs, the Maran or the Gold Star. The maran has been seen on the nest but the Gold Star has not. My wife will be watching today and we will soon know for sure. The Maran is more mature.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    There is a heritage rhode island thread on here. If you want large fowl birds there are several that are making a waiting list for next spring. I got my HRIR from Ron and they are great birds. If you are looking for the bantam birds, then you will want to send the thread starter an email. He knows all about the breeds and could help you find LF too.
    I MIGHT have an extra rooster come Nov. And if not, then by the middle of Feb, I would have 1. I'm short on hens though. I'll be hatching to increase my flock this coming hatching season. As they grow out I might have a few extras but I can't promise anything.
    Be prepared to pay about $10 per chick for heritage chicks from a breeder on the thread.
    Adding a link to the thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407294/the-heritage-rhode-island-red-site

Also there are chicken shows coming up. one in Blommington and one in Lebanon. There might be sellers there.

10. icukeisha

icukeisha Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Hi everyone! I have this gorgeous roo (either an Andalusian or Minorca, not sure) that needs a new home. He has recently hit what I call "chicken puberty." My husband didn't want a roo to begin with but I brought him home anyway. He has started chasing my daughters (4 and 6) and they are terrified of him. He hasn't hurt them and I don't think he is overly aggressive, just doing his job looking out for the girls. He only does it if my daughters are chasing the littles around trying to pick them up. Honestly, if they would chase him back, I think he would leave them alone. Anyway, my husband says he has to go. I am in Pekin, IN and am willing to meet somewhere within reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by