INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    my tolbunt pullet laid another egg today so decided to candle the cochin eggs while i was in there. 6 eggs look to be growing nicely. i received 9 eggs total, 1 was infertile, and 2 look like early quitters. 1 quitter was tossed tonight, the other im not 100% sure its a goner. so hopefully the remaining 6 hatch!

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Do great horned owls migrate south or will mine continue to pester me and the chickens all winter? It has not gotten past the netting yet but it keeps coming back to check on the chickens.

3. EmSteele

EmSteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    My hens BETTER be glad my nieces named them last week! I'm getting those invisible, are through eggs..announced cholesterol, they never spoil...anyone wanna trade? Just kidding! I start in on the butcher talk the minute I walk in the coop and get the "but Momma!" Look with those heads cocked to the side. I do have 2 black a'lorps roos that are being especially aggressive towards me...they may not live as long as the other meat roosters.

I'm so sorry for the losses recently. I joke about my hens but I understand the connection felt with them. It's devastating to lose one :-(

On the chick note, I'm done until spring...unlike itsjustme who SAID she was done but she admitted on Facebook that she has a broody hatching out! Haha! I can't wait to have a broody! Too awesome!

4. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Hi guys! Catching up on the hundreds of posts but wanted to say hello real quick! Last weekend was crazy!
    We added 4 piglets, Wilbur, Charlotte, Blanket and one yet to be named.. Prolly Bacon! not pictured.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I am so sorry.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them
    Lots of good tips to follow up with there. Glad you found us! [​IMG]
    UGH I hate painting! Spraying is sure a lot faster.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I sent you a pm :D

Looks like those kiddos are having a bad hair day. [​IMG]

Seriously, though, I don't know how you ever get anything done around there with all that chicken tv to watch. It would be hard for me to go inside! :D

7. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Ray - I sent you a pm. [​IMG]to you and your family.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] and so glad you joined our thread! [​IMG] A good choice for starting out are either Cochin, Orpington or Australorps. Those breeds are friendly, sweet and the BAs are the world record egg layers. It really depends on what you want to start them off, If you do chicks, Now is a real good time! Older birds are easier, but if you want the pet aspect, it may take a little longer to win their trust. Small coops are really easy to get set up, and chicken TV never has reruns [​IMG]
    Hehe, I have begun to sort and pick who "gets it" and 2 are already in jail aka dog crates.One attacked my turkey hen, bit me and went straight to the kennel [​IMG]
    Haha! My hubby is an enabler, so I don't have that issue. He did nix my idea of wanting Emu!
    Oh my! They look adorable! Will you be selling the pups?

9. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I have an owl that keeps coming to visit my chicken area tonight. it is walking around our "hoop" / cube coop. There is either netting, tarp, or netting and chicken wire over the entire thing. I'm thinking owls don't dig so it can't get in unless it can get by the poultry netting. Still he is freaking out my chickens and they are squawking causing me to check on them and send DH out to chase away the owl. I would go but I read that the GH owl has attacked humans before so here I sit, typing asking for advice. We tried lighting up the back yard with flood lights and I turned on a light in the coop, still the owl came back after less than an hour. I was thinking since owls are night hunters the light would keep it away. But maybe the light is making it easier for the owl. It is easier for me to check on the birds if the light is on.

We just moved our small pens and large coop tonight so the owl could care less about routine placement.
    We also have those blinking red lights, the owl could care less.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Poor lil thing.
    There always seems to be an old flame at those events, too funny! How is it going for the girls in with the mean birds?
    CRSelvey, UGH agreed! I hate working with hardware cloth, but the stuff is sturdy once its on!
    UGH! I must stay away... need to handcuff me to the house take my car keys! I really want more BR hens! My BR/Wyandotte cross roos are HUGE at 6 months.
    Waiting to see how the hens from the cross will produce eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by