INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I can almost guarantee two yolks in that.

2. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Interesting, I'll let you know what I find.

3. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    I can almost guarantee two yolks in that. [/quote Isn't it fun?! We had one like that last week.

4. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana

pretty birds

5. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana

What a nice surprise for a first egg.

6. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

7. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Thats so typical. They do NOT like me much at the Local PO. I call them a LOT the day before, and am there at 5 am so my eggs or babies do not get lost!
    Reading more about it. Guess I wont be buying popeye's or lee's, KFC anymore. GMO and weird food continues to get worse.

8. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Welcome to the thread! You can post most anything here, we aren't picky [​IMG] I am searching for BRs too, so I will gladly share when I find them! [​IMG] hoping we find some for your son soon!

jchny2000 and HappyHappyhappy -

I found a chicken farm near C

9. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013

10. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Thunder Chicken~ Re your nice fenced-in yard . . . Jchny had a good point about you placing patio furniture or some foliage for your chickens to hide in. They feel safer if a large bird flies over or if they hear a dog, etc. if there is something for them to quickly hide under. You could always use portable things like a box or lawn chair or wheel barrel, etc.
    CRSelvey posted: This morning my DH told me he thinks the dogs name is Max. Really???? I did not see that coming.

You are a good person for saving that dog. If the dog gets on your husband's nerves, you could offer to find it a home if he would agree to six more chickens. When a stray striped tabby cat showed up several years ago, I knew he was a keeper when my husband started calling him Tiger.

Btw, my dear son Max (he was actually named after a beloved cat) installed a new hard drive in my iMac. Yay! I had to spend ten hours catching up on work-- that's why I am just now looking at the thread. Boo!
    Originally Posted by Old Salt 1945 [​IMG]
    Please don't tell these goofs that some young animals eat their mother's excrement to populate their intestines with the bacteria of the mother.[​IMG]
    Actually, those animals are pretty smart. Humans have to pay for fecal transplants to relieve intestinal ailments.

Originally Posted by Too Fast [​IMG]
    I was watching one of John's favorite survival shows . . .
    I actually did watch this show......for about 5 minutes. What a bunch of idiots!
    I think you're right, Too Fast. Even though he denies it, we shouldn't be surprised when Old Salt is on an episode of Doomsday Preppers. I figured that's why he's always talking about increasing his flock. Poultry Shows, he says. Right!
    Personally I have seen a few parts of the Doomsday show and I feel so sorry for the kids of these crazy people. The kids are constantly terrified that something horrible is going to happen because that's what their parents tell them! I call it child abuse/torture.

The way I have settled on killing them is to hold by the feet, step on the head and pull sharply to break the neck and immediately chop off the head with a hatchet and block of wood. This seems to me to be the least painful to the chicken. I don't mind killing animals, but can't abide causing more pain than is absolutely necessary.
    I think the chickens probably die from fright from your method of humane killing.
    Quinstar~ Congrats on your first egg! It bet it was Lavon's because she looks like she's pregnant again. And she's wearing one of those color-coded gang bracelets.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by