INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

2 people like this.
  2. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Is anyone going to be selling processed meat chickens that we could purchase? We are thinking about getting a chest freezer. I'm more and more put off by the steroids, antibiotics, etc. going into meat and would sooner buy from folks I trust.

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/byc-index-of-abbreviations

John

1 person likes this.
  6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    We don't have plans to sell meat but if you want to learn how, we will show you on our next processing day. You can bring your own rooster if you want to get a hands on lesson. Right now we are thinking Nov 9th give or take 2 weeks.

7. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

I'd be very interested in what you ferment for the dogs and cats. I have one dog that is so allergic she's on grain free, soy free beef/chicken free diet. It's $60 for a 20 lb bag with 2 dogs its lasts us 2 1/2 weeks. Cats are all good, but I know ff is better, so I would love to do there's as well.

Yes I want these meaties to be lean, and have as much of a normal chicken life as they can. They go outside daily with a heat lamp should they need it for 4-5 hours a day during the warmest part of the day. I want them to feather out so I can get them in their own shed/coop befor long. They are just 2 weeks tomorrow. They don't eat before they go outside (i have been taking a chicken out to them so they can mimic what she does) their brooder is 8' long, the light is on one end, water on the other. food goes in the water are as well so right now they are getting a lot of excersize. they are now on a 12 hour on/off eating schedule. I plan on feeding them out in the run when they are outside, so they have to get up and go to it.

Thanks so much for offering the advice. I really am new, and with that md scare, I worry over everything. I can't wait until I feel confident in chicken husbandry.

8. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Yeah, I did that once, going over a fence for a cow pasture. Grabbed the wire, felt nothing, so I gripped it harder so I could go over. Guess what shocked me as I just was leaving the ground lol. My landing on the other side wasn't pretty, and I had to figure out how to get back over! Shocking good time.

9. Urbanmom519

Urbanmom519 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    NW Indiana
    morning everyone, chick question, my little babies turned out to be EEs, about a week old they are on day three at home all alive and well eating drinking etc, am I out of the woods as far as one of them not making it? I was in fear of that, that's the main reason I got four, but it looks like they are all keepers I hope! When can u stop worrying?!? :)

10. wheezy50

wheezy50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Morgan Co.
    Any of you have experience with solar powered motion lights? I've got a couple places I'd like to put them around the coop for help with night security and I don't have access to electic.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-led-solar-security-light-69643.html

I'm thinking about something like this, not necessarily that exact one (I've not had great luck with HF stuff) but something along these lines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by