INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Quote: HeHe, thats all you gotta do, talk to them! they will grow
big_smile.png
I really hope to have a plot this spring! Raised beds sound wonderful. may do that yet!
my 11 / 12 week old chickens were in the tarp / net covered coop. When the storm came they ran out from under the tarp and hid in a corner under nothing but chicken wire and netting. It was the first time I had seen them soaked. But to be honest I think it was their first big storm that they were not locked into a house or shed coop.
Mine too, everyone loved the rain even the guinea!
Oh, so many questions...

Who has ordered from Murray McMurray Hatchery? Was the experience a good one?

What is the latest in the year you have purchased or hatched Cornish X/any meat birds to put up for the winter?

We are thinking of purchasing some meat birds, again, but did not know if it was too late in the season to raise them properly. Is it better to wait til spring?

If you have raised meat birds, do you have a separate coop for them or do they share the coop with your layers?

And do you process your own birds, or do you have someone come do it for you? I was too "chicken" to do it myself last time.
1. not from McMurray yet. My first set was from crown feed in lake co, almost 30 years ago.
Last from an individual that wasn't ok with the processing, changed her mind.
Those birds were from Cackle.
I have started as early as January 30th, as late as end of October. Clearing room in the barn. I want to raise them year around.
2. I estimate 10 weeks from hatch to process. Remember to let the bird "rest" in the fridge 3 days after processing, so you don't have tough meat.
Once fully feathered, 4-6 weeks max they go out to the coop.
If you have a method to contain that's draft free, and in a barn, shelter, electric for a heat source, you can raise them all year.
3. I separated but can be raised with a normal flock, If you introduce new birds regularly.
4. I always process my own. Then I know they didn't suffer, and they never left their home.
I also want to know the health of the bird, and its easiest to look at the organs (heart, liver etc) to determine if there was a problem.
Even if they are meant for food, I treat them with as much respect as my layers.
5. I am hoping to plan more workshops soon, to help everyone to be more comfortable with the idea.
Its a huge and healthy difference in flavor and fat content when that bird goes to the table.

Is anyone going to be selling processed meat chickens that we could purchase? We are thinking about getting a chest freezer. I'm more and more put off by the steroids, antibiotics, etc. going into meat and would sooner buy from folks I trust.

Quote: Yes they can be compared to heritage. If you do FF it really makes a difference on odors, and eating.
I treated them like a normal chicken, had to wait 10 weeks for them to gain decent weight.
Only lost 1 of 25 to flip. 1 commited suicide in a stock tank, ugh and 2 i kept, tank & lilX.
Will let you know next week how they compare to a heritage bird, processing roos.
Alright, it was my turn to catch up on posts. I've been cramming, because I had an evil, evil Chemistry test this morning that has left me with a mixed feeling of hopefulness and doubt.
hmm.png
Oh, well. I guess I'll find out on Monday how I did.

fl.gif
UGH best wishes on the results! Evil tests stink and really make you stress! Breathe!!!!! and have confidence in your work
hugs.gif

Well gang... I'm about to give up on chickens!! I had another dog attack today. The same dog!! And it went for me too so hopefully NOW they will put it down, like they should've before!!! Jchny- he got Bob (EE Roo from you). I was just telling Bob this morning how pretty he was getting and he was finally staring to show interest in the girls. So after another sherif call and Animal control call we will see!! Somehow I had a feeling this morning and had left them semi-penned, but some would fly ove the fence. And I was all cleaned up for a Drs appt when I heard something, looked out to see a hen flying which was unusual. It was raining here and I went running out, grabbed the umbrella, which I used on the dog after he was growling at me!! Next time I'll grab the gun first not the umbrella. Killed the umbrella not the dog!! ****!!! So I was late and wet for the Drs appt!
OH MY I am just glad you are OK! Frightning to experience. I was bitten a few times in animal control. All the bites were dogs that were not confined and properly cared for.
That irresponsible owner
somad.gif
let me at em!
rant.gif
smack.gif

hugs.gif
I am so sorry. Bob had a good life but would never stay in a coop. Master of escape even as a chick from the brooder, really surprised he didn't get away.
His time was up. I would love to sit and wait at your house for that dog to return...GRRRRR!
I kick into the "mean dogcatcher" mode real fast! Sad thing is its not the dogs fault as much as the owner.
old.gif
dog ownership is a privilege, and not acceptable to infringe on another's personal property.
Or cause harm to another person, pets, livestock or place you in fear of attack at your home!!!
Most county and AG areas even have reasonable confinement laws!
State law mandates if a dog attacks or kills livestock we are in our rights to dispatch the dog immediately.
Bite laws, 3 times and the dog is considered dangerous and put down.
I feel that's NOT strict enough unless the dog is defending HIS home, and not from just a visitor either.
Dogs follow their owner, and assume the thought pattern as they are taught, some owners don't teach dogs to not harm and respect life around them.
Next time it may be a child, or elderly person who can't get away or defend themselves.

Wanted to tell you, Bruce is just awesome, we love him. Sweet and attentive to his ladies, I pick him up most everyday and give him live mealies.
He is my favorite roo. I know that may change but its sure nice to see his girls without a pecked head and raw backs. I have hatched at least 23 of his babies now.
Really strong, active chicks!
If you need to replace Bob I have a large number of EE roos here, free to who wants them (for BYC members only).
Have WAY too many Lavender orp and GLW roos too. They are all so handsome and sweet, am having a hard time processing them.
Guess am getting to be a wimp on my hatched birds
sad.png
The few that are just outright aggressive/mean I am processing this week, am sorting any aggressive birds out of my flocks.

Quote: Agreed, i candle around day 14 and at lockdown, if that. i have 4 bators, am using 2 and have stopped hatching this year except for quail. I set 2x a week for them. Chicken I don't let eggs age beyond 6 days before i set them.
We got our third egg today! Nine days between the first two. Only three days Since the last one. Maybe we will still get a daily egg before the weather changes!
Awesome!!!! good luck be sure to post pics!
Quote: wow great news!
fl.gif
wishing good hatching vibes! I was so pleased to find the OEGB eggs, hoping they hatch. soo tiny!
I have 1 silky hen and 3 roos. ugh!I am guarding lil fluff until she matures, then picking my best roo.
hi everyone, New to BYC, and decided last week that chickens sounded like an exciting adventure, so, bought a coop this morning, and lumber etc for the run, the lady I've been trying to keep in contact with about EE's which I later found out were Ameracunas, has slowly started not replying me, and any others seem to act interested then no longer reply, the stuff is on its way, the run is being built, I have no chickens! I'm wanting pullets or very young hens preferably EEs, I really want blue/ green layers, flashy chickens, that's what drew me to them, I'm not completely chicken savvy, but I can read, that's where I have my knowledge from, located in northern Indiana, any help in locating some girls for me!?
frow.gif
I am so glad you found us
welcome-byc.gif

if you look at the bottom of my post, you will see my "signature" go to our member list for EEs. If you need help, we are a very chatty group!

Is anyone going to be selling processed meat chickens that we could purchase? We are thinking about getting a chest freezer. I'm more and more put off by the steroids, antibiotics, etc. going into meat and would sooner buy from folks I trust.
We don't have plans to sell meat but if you want to learn how, we will show you on our next processing day. You can bring your own rooster if you want to get a hands on lesson. Right now we are thinking Nov 9th give or take 2 weeks.

its really good for most animals, alpaca and goats don't seem as interested. I even do FF for my dog and barncats! Pigs, and most poultry and waterfowl LOVE it.
X2, been just crazy!
Oh my, it rained HARD here, lost my internet for a full day!
Thank you so much! I had totally forgotten about the soil testing. I haven't had time for a decent food plot for YEARS.
I should be ashamed :oops: , I taught home economics through Cooperative extension for the less fortunate.
The key to healthy meaties is free range, and FF. Make them leave the food dish. set clean water out, and raise them like heritage chicks.
My 2, LilX and Tank, are still lively and healthy, 13 months old, but they are heavy birds.Their build/shape is like a coronation sussex. I try to keep our livestock meant for food very lean.
Both the hen and roo are productive and are in my egg flock. Unsupervised they will eat themselves to death.
If you prefer the birds to be comparable to the big name store bought chicken, that's ok too, its a matter of what you prefer.
But do let them have a regular "chicken life" and withhold feed 12 hours if you choose that route, to prevent "flip" (heart attack)

Aww poor lil ears, your grand baby reminds me of our youngest!! She is now 21 was so afraid of storms and lightning, terrified of fireworks.
She loved the pretty lights tho! I got her pink earplugs and it really helped her enjoy them. Now, she can't wait for the fireworks display :D

I'd be very interested in what you ferment for the dogs and cats. I have one dog that is so allergic she's on grain free, soy free beef/chicken free diet. It's $60 for a 20 lb bag with 2 dogs its lasts us 2 1/2 weeks. Cats are all good, but I know ff is better, so I would love to do there's as well.

Yes I want these meaties to be lean, and have as much of a normal chicken life as they can. They go outside daily with a heat lamp should they need it for 4-5 hours a day during the warmest part of the day. I want them to feather out so I can get them in their own shed/coop befor long. They are just 2 weeks tomorrow. They don't eat before they go outside (i have been taking a chicken out to them so they can mimic what she does) their brooder is 8' long, the light is on one end, water on the other. food goes in the water are as well so right now they are getting a lot of excersize. they are now on a 12 hour on/off eating schedule. I plan on feeding them out in the run when they are outside, so they have to get up and go to it.

Thanks so much for offering the advice. I really am new, and with that md scare, I worry over everything. I can't wait until I feel confident in chicken husbandry.

Words to live by:

If you grab a wire and it shocks you, let go (of the wire, not of bladder control).

John

Yeah, I did that once, going over a fence for a cow pasture. Grabbed the wire, felt nothing, so I gripped it harder so I could go over. Guess what shocked me as I just was leaving the ground lol. My landing on the other side wasn't pretty, and I had to figure out how to get back over! Shocking good time.

morning everyone, chick question, my little babies turned out to be EEs, about a week old they are on day three at home all alive and well eating drinking etc, am I out of the woods as far as one of them not making it? I was in fear of that, that's the main reason I got four, but it looks like they are all keepers I hope! When can u stop worrying?!? :)

Back
Top Bottom