INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. wheezy50

wheezy50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Morgan Co.
    Also, in case anyone is interested, Martinsville RK had isa brown pullets as of yesterday.

1 person likes this.
  2. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I am having the same problem. I have 20 girls that were laying. I was getting 15-17 eggs a day. We had a few hot days with a heat index over 100 and then the temps dropped drastically. Suddenly, I am down to 2-6 eggs a day.

It is amazing, but they are sensitive to the temps, daylight (which is shortening daily), predator threats, and illness.

Keep an eye on them, but I am guessing it is just the temp and shortening of the days. We are thinking about putting a light in our coop on a timer so they get more daylight hours.

Good luck and hope the egg count returns to normal.

3. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Originally Posted by jchny2000 View Post
    We don't have plans to sell meat but if you want to learn how, we will show you on our next processing day. You can bring your own rooster if you want to get a hands on lesson. Right now we are thinking Nov 9th give or take 2 weeks

We don't and won't have birds for processing. My husband, who has been wonderfully supportive about having a flock, says six hens will be enough and no roosters!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  4. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Hmm, might have to work on nest boxes...looking a little crowed.

5. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    How odd. It looks almost like fly eggs to me... It could also be dried mud, or dried food material, which has broken into short little rod shapes because of the feather fibers it is attached to.

A reliable, tactile test for an unknown tiny thing stuck to your chicken:

Remove one of the tiny shapes and place it on a hard, smooth, flat, easy to see surface. ( Such as a plain white dinner plate, or the back of your thumbnail ). Carefully lower a fingernail or another thumbnail onto it, so that the flat tops of your two nails make a sandwich with the mystery particle as sandwich filling. Now try to crush it with a firm rolling motion.

If it is uncrushable, or if it crushes up to dry dust or dirt, it is probably just some kind of crud, not a living thing. If it is an egg, a louse or a large mite, you will feel a tiny *pop* ... and when you take your nail away and look, you will see a tiny spot of moisture as well as some crushed remains. With littler mites, you may not feel a pop but you will see a tiny spot of moisture. In tiny mites which are blood feeders the moisture may have a reddish color, which makes it a little easier to see. Satisfaction! You killed it!

Now go wash your hands :)

4 people like this.
  6. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Clearly unimpressed having to wait her turn.

7. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Now that's just gross (insert spewing smiley)

1 person likes this.
  8. exop

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    amwchickin: Also, how do their ears look? It could be dried exudate that has come out of the ears. See if you can move the little tuft of feathers aside, and peer in there.

9. exop

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    hogster160: Funny, my own birds are just stepping up their lay. Have had a bunch of them come out of molt recently, but my impression is also that they are enjoying the cooler weather.

vickichicki: Gross... aw, c'mon... any mites, lice etc have been living on a diet of fresh chicken or chicken skin, that's not really much worse than any of us humans. They are clean little beasties :) Although I will admit that the sandwich filling metaphor was, maybe, a little gross

amwchikin: I would have suggested looking for weeping from the eyes too, but the feathers in the eye region seem clear.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I might be selling some meat next year around june-august. I will let you know

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by