INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Pictures taken of some of the most recent hatch
    Quail galore!
    [​IMG]

Birchen Marans, lav cuckoo Cochin bantam, and naked neck
    [​IMG]

Same three with the addition of a poop covered Birchen Marans
    [​IMG]

Pooped Birchen
    [​IMG]

Swedish flower hen. Might end up keeping it for my free ranging flock but who knows!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lav cuckoo Cochin
    [​IMG]

Another group shot
    [​IMG]

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Lovely chicks Brad.

I must say trying to sell a rare breed on CL is more trying than the standard production chickens. I listed my new to me Ameraucana chicks this afternoon at just above hatchery prices but well below hatchery prices counting shipping. Ohh the emails have come in. I have gotten at least 3 different CL users trying to get me to change my price. Only one did I respond to and wow I should have just ignored him. He is why the others got ignored. I even sent him a link to the hatchery page and he was plain rude in his response.

Oh well if I end up keeping all of the fancy pricy chicks I will have lots of blue eggs for my efforts. And if I do sell them then I will have made a profit just large enough to cover our gas to Bloomington and back. So not a gold mine.

3. gingergma

gingergma New Egg

Sep 18, 2013

4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I am in love with that little lavender Cochin!!!

5. Urbanmom519

Urbanmom519 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I love that little lavender one too..... She may be in my future...... :)

6. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] Hi everyone, so sorry I have not been on! Really sorry, have 247 posts to read [​IMG]JK [​IMG] glad we all talk so much, I learn something new every day.
    Internet was out from all the rain, and had a scare with my turkeys, my adult Royal Palms were sneezing, nose running and eyes seeping!
    so I grabbed them up, and isolated them fast. After reading all the dreaded illnesses, finally realized all the fields were being harvested, corn and beans.
    Ragweed and goldenrod are BAD this year. I have had red watery eyes, sneezing, nose running, and finally found out, turkeys can have allergies too!
    Once I got them in the hospital/office trailer, changed the filters and set it to fan only, they are already better. What a relief!
    I am also very pleased to say my OEGB (march babies) are laying FINALLY. 2 eggs in 2 days. Very excited!
    Wanted to say WELCOME to any new members on our thread! I apologize if I missed you.
    Off to catch up!!

7. gingergma

gingergma New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    wow I'm still trying to figure out how to use the links here but I have read a lot of good information and since I don't plan to start my flock until early spring I will just keep continuing reading and learning

8. gingergma

gingergma New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    oh by the way I need to find in link to go in to learn what certain words mean. although when I was a child and we had chickens on the phone it was never my job nor did I hear a lot of these words I just fed them and gathered eggs

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Yes lots of rain! My dogs are fine, grand baby and turkeys don't like the thunder. The want in the coop which is now far away from them and they won't go to theirs! They are soaking wet. Any ideas what I can do, I've been out there trying to guide them in, they won't do it.[/QUOTE]
    Food usually works for all of mine. I have tons of birds following me all over, so even if I get rain here, they just go where I go. I only have to fight with the ducks and geese, they love the rain.
    If they wont go to the coop, typically they do by dark, I do a headcount to be sure. and keep watching them.
    If I remember correctly, steroids and antibiotics. I haven't bought a bag in a very long time, at least 20 years. Milk and milk fat, lots of probotics. Need to look it up before i get calves.
    Betting the ingredients have changed some by now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by