INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Okay experienced chicken hatchers, here are the pics of the day 6 candling. Not sure how helpful they will be, but it's the best I could get. There are a few with definite movement, a few that look infertile and a few that are a mystery. Could use some input!!!
smile.png
Pic heavy! Momma didn't like the candling, so I had to hurry.

There is movement in this one.

?? Not sure.

Pretty sure this one isn't fertile.

There is an eye spot in this one, bad pic.

Eye spot left of pencil mark.

Not sure with this one.

Lots of movement in this one.

Infertile?

Dark egg, hard to tell.

This one has an eye spot.

Dark eye spot and movement in this one.

Infertile?

everything is looking good in most anyways

Last edited:
It is good to know what she is! She is small and sassy and is one of the favs! Lily is moulting bad and has been ever since we got her. She has a naked chest! Between her and Harriet's lone tail feather they are quite a sight!

I have a BO that blew off half of her feathers overnight, my sons thought she was half way to the crock pot
lau.gif

Here is a photo of Moe, if I can get it to load.....

Yay, it worked! Lets see if I can get some more photos.......

Hmmmmm..... how did I put this at the top?
I have a BO that blew off half of her feathers overnight, my sons thought she was half way to the crock pot
lau.gif

Here is a photo of Moe, if I can get it to load.....

Yay, it worked! Lets see if I can get some more photos.......

Here are a few more, one with his brother, Mighty Mouse

And one of his sisters

All of the girls came out a sort of blue partridge....

I have lost all hope in my eggs,but I am going to leave them in until thursday and then do an eggtopsy. I really thought this hatch was going to go well. Packing was perfect, not one cracked egg, air sacs were even good for shipped eggs. I have had not trouble with humidity or temp. They have stayed exactly were I wasnted them to the whole incubation. I only threw out 2. Some I thought were scrambled actually developed. So I dont know what the deal is. But the chicks I bought make up for it lol. But these were the RCBLs I have been wanting, I guess I will just have to buy some more and try again.

Update on my russian Orloff. I was looking her over more. I was only focusing on her legs before, but I looked at her one foot and two of her toes are out of place. I'm not sure what the poor chickens did, but she had got her one leg and foot all screwed up. While I am not happy I found another thing wrong with her, it makes me even more confident that she has an injury and not a disease. She had the same signs as my SF, but I am one of those people that like to be 110% sure. I am going to make some calls tomorrow.

are they in warren? I have the phone nimber for a butcher in warren.
i am not selling eggs and i assumed peiple woulf figure out that shipping was not included because that woul make the eggs $5 or less. It was kust list an asking price from someone i bought from.

i know there are breeders here in indiana i just like the quality if his birds better. It has more of what u am looking for when i buy AMs. I have a list of people I want to buy AMs from he is on the top of the list.

i watched a youtube video and it made me feel so bad for the chicken. I know it is just nerves but it still looks as if they are alive
CR 142 in Goshen, Martin's Chicken Butchery I have the phone number in case its not the same place.

Since you guys and gals, were taking about shipped eggs I thought I'd post this here.

I ran across this article about shipped eggs and thought I 'd post it.
Great to know for anyone thinking of buying shipped Eggs

There are problems that can be caused by shipping and some that have nothing to do with shipping.

Shipping can cause:
eggs to appear not fertile(JUST BECAUSE AN EGG DOESN'T DEVELOP DOESN'T MEAN IT WASN'T FERTILE)
scrambled eggs
loose air cells
floating bubbles...
quitters
misshapen air cells

Shipping will not cause:
fully developed embryos not pipped
fully developed embryos pipping and dying
infertility
chicks dying after hatching

So if you have a dozen eggs shipped and not one develops, they were likely damaged in shipping although appearing not fertile. But if you have a dozen eggs and 1 hatches but there are dead chicks in the other eggs, this is an incubation problem and has nothing to do with wether they are shipped or not

But, for most people, mail delivery can still be a little dicey. In my case, I'm one of the last stops of the day.
So, if this sounds like you or you just want to take a bit more control of the situation, request that your egg packages be sent Priority as "Hold For Pickup." (edit)
Then when it arrives, be prepared to go get them. This may be inconvenient, but it is important.
That way, they don't spend all day bouncing around in a hot delivery van, or sitting on the porch until you get home to collect them. Better they sit in the back room of a cool (hopefully) P.O., waiting for you.

- Have your incubator running and stable before the eggs arrive.
This is sublimely simple, but more than a few people make this mistake. Make sure you know it works, too. It can be disconcerting to add eggs to the incubator and then watch as the temperature falls off - if you didn't know that would happen. Do your experimenting before you have eggs in hand, always.

It feels to me that there are a lot of things that can go wrong with shipped eggs.

- temperature spikes, high and low
- low pressure, if flown
- x-rays
- lots of jostling, from the truck and from being thrown around

If anything happens to damage the air sac, that can have a definite effect on end development.

ALL shipped eggs go thru a significant stress in travel. this stress always contributes to more difficulty for the developing embryo, some survive the process and some do not.

UNDERSTANDING what goes WRONG with SHIPPED EGGS

The yolk of an egg is held in place on each end by what is called Chalaza. These are delicate cords that keep the yolk centered in the egg. When you crack open an egg, you notice a white stringy thing on the yolk, this is the Chalaza. When eggs are shipped they encounter postal handlers that toss the packages, sorting machinery, bumpy vehicle rides, temperature changes and possibly X-ray Machines! So by the time the eggs get to you they are pretty much scrambled inside. So if you are going to buy eggs and have them shipped to you, be aware that the viability drops TREMENDOUSLY. There are rare instances when they ALL arrive safely but it is always a gamble.

For rolling, detached or disrupted air cells (cells no longer at fat end of the egg but like a bubble level on the long side, rolling or saddle shaped cells), you’ll need to change your hatch plan. They need to sit 24 hours NO TURNING, pointy end down in a Styrofoam Egg Carton with the bottoms cut out for ventilation to possibly reattach air cells. Allow eggs to sit in a moderately cool, somewhat humid place for 12-24 hours before you begin to incubate them. Basements are great. Moderately cool means 65-75 degrees with the fat end UP. After settle period SET Shipped eggs in the incubator in the carton with bottoms cut out as pictured below, do not turn for 36-48 hours to help air cell re-attach. I personally have found that any shipped egg that survives to day 18 lockdown has an awkward but re-attached air cell so I lay my eggs down for hatch. Please refer to day 18 lockdown for more information on why laying eggs for hatching after day 18 is the best way to go. After 36-48 hours begin turning or hand turn by laying the eggs side to side 3 times a day, as in the image below. REMINDER~ Never Set COLD eggs in the incubator.

SADDLE SHAPED AIR CELLS are very COMMON with shipped eggs!

Saddle shaped is when one or both sides have a large "dip" in the air cell. A lot of times with saddle shaped cells the chick doesn’t position correct for hatching and their feet can easily get stuck behind their head and “smoosh” the chick so they can’t move, it can also force the yolk sack and everything more north in the shell.... Keep a close eye on these eggs and its VERY important to pencil mark Air cells!

CRACKED EXPENSIVE IMPORTANT EGGS

If you do receive a cracked egg and it’s an expensive egg you can try to hatch it, but beware of bacterial explosion and

good possibility of ruining other eggs. It is possible to hatch a cracked egg by sealing the crack with candle wax/crayon wax or finger nail polish. Try to place the egg in a cup or protected place well away from other eggs. If viable to hatch, keep a close eye on where the pip mark will be in case the chick cant get through a fixed area.

Thanks so much for the info, going to save it!
I have lost all hope in my eggs,but I am going to leave them in until thursday and then do an eggtopsy. I really thought this hatch was going to go well. Packing was perfect, not one cracked egg, air sacs were even good for shipped eggs. I have had not trouble with humidity or temp. They have stayed exactly were I wasnted them to the whole incubation. I only threw out 2. Some I thought were scrambled actually developed. So I dont know what the deal is. But the chicks I bought make up for it lol. But these were the RCBLs I have been wanting, I guess I will just have to buy some more and try again.

Update on my russian Orloff. I was looking her over more. I was only focusing on her legs before, but I looked at her one foot and two of her toes are out of place. I'm not sure what the poor chickens did, but she had got her one leg and foot all screwed up. While I am not happy I found another thing wrong with her, it makes me even more confident that she has an injury and not a disease. She had the same signs as my SF, but I am one of those people that like to be 110% sure. I am going to make some calls tomorrow.
Sorry to hear about the foot now. How high is their roost? Is it too high for the two chickens that had tendon problems? Slippery floor on landing? Just a couple of thoughts. Hope she does better!

CR 142 in Goshen, Martin's Chicken Butchery  I have the phone number in case its not the same place.

Thanks so much for the info, going to save it!
Sorry to hear about the foot now.  How high is their roost?  Is it too high for the two chickens that had tendon problems?  Slippery floor on landing?  Just a couple of thoughts.  Hope she does better!

thank you for telling me about the place, but 2 hours is too far away. I did find 2 other butchers that are local. Hopefully out of 3 i can find one.

the SF i am talking about passed away a few months ago. I eventually figured out that she hit it on a medal piece on the doir ( in a dufferent pen). there were also no roosts in the pen she wad in at the time. The RO was in a pen that had 3-4 foot of the ground roost. But she roosted on an old hay rack i have yet to take out. none of the others that roost on the hay rack have had an issue. And gloor isnt slippery it has bedding. So o have no idea how ir shar she did bug she managed to mess it up badly.

Quote: Sorry about that.

CCC...Chickens I hope you get one of the three to take care of your chicken. Also thanks for the breeder info and costs. It will be next spring before I look into buying anymore chicks. Now eggs, I might get one more set. I don't know. I'm having so many issues with shipped eggs. I feel bad buying more eggs to set but I really want to set eggs and don't have any fertile mating roosters right now.
The BR might be fertile, he sure wants to mate but I'm keeping him in his own little boy pen for now. It moves around the yard so he gets fresh grass and bugs kind of like when he was free ranged but it keeps him far far away from my HRIR chickens who are the free ranging flock right now. There are a few female chicks I have growing out but they are not ready for mating even if the BR roo thinks so.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom