INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I use a still air, bought it just for hatching. Just another cheap LG. Since I switched to it, I rarely have shrink wrapped chicks anymore. Easier to keep humidity at 70% too, and have better hatch rates now. It runs 24/7 and I just clean it each week before the next hatch and let it regain temp and humidity.
    I am so sorry, I know that is so disappointing. I have one lonely little coronation sussex, and am still trying to win another set of eggs through a guy in KY (David). He has excellent feedback.
    Your quail chicks are by far the biggest, healthiest quail I have, all 39 adorable adorable tumblebugs and just hop and climb all over my hands. My A&M are destined for the freezer. Hateful, nasty lil things, they attack my arms and hands when i refill the feeders and gather eggs. They bite and hang on! it doesn't hurt, but gees, bite the hands that feed you [​IMG]! Getting away from that breed altogether. The tennesse red (except the lil roos) , speckled,and tuxedo are all friendly too. I like the jumbos the best.
    I am so far behind.. I just get thru as many pages I can every evening. Winter gets here, will be in the house more, ugh. I hate staying indoors but hate cold worse!
    I keep seeing the plastic hanging waterers, heated. there's several real good ideas using cinder block with a light fixture inside, and a cookie tin heater too on the coops page:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-feeder-waterer-designs-pictures
    I have them on my birthday wish list, And a stock tank heater for my piggies. Heated buckets for ducks, geese, and the goats.
    After carrying buckets of warm water out several times a day last year, UGH, need a better way!
    I do love the orps! I wanted buffs, when I saw the lavenders I was HOOKED! The roos are as friendly as the hens if that's possible...
    DH sat down for a sec to watch chicken TV and had 3 in his lap, he wound up sharing his cheetos LOL!
    it was so cute, they were so carefully picking the cheesy crumbs off his shirt [​IMG]
    The australorps are just as sweet. Bruce has become his favorite roo!

GET EM!!!!! Awesome! Rant all you need and then some! I am so sorry you have to deal with this [​IMG]

2. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Oops hehe, they needed a bath anyways, right? We had some really strong winds with the storms, thats probably what did it.

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    she is lovely, is she a cochin?

4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Loved the pic of your DD Lauren, and Sweet lil BonBon!
    You have my full undivided attention, I will be looking into it! I bet fermenting will make the smalls much better too!

5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

7. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Choking Chicken? Anyone had a similar experience?
    I spent part of the afternoon out in the far backyard with my seven girls. Three of the hens are molting-- My Jersey Giant looks like a wreck-- no tail feathers, a bunch missing around her neck, and she's shedding lots of little feathers I had been digging in the dirt with Jersey for awhile and she was her usual conversational self. Then she started opening her mouth like she was trying to swallow (gapeworm is my most feared chicken illness although I didn’t think that was the problem since this suddenly started). I carried her up to the house, but she wasn’t interested in water. I brought out her favorite treat--blueberries. She wanted them, but acted like she couldn’t lean over to pick one up. I figured that she must have something stuck in her throat and I started to feel panicky since it would be difficult to look in her mouth/throat. I held a blueberry close to her mouth and she ate it. That seemed to push down whatever it was! She then ate a bunch of blueberries and was fine. My DH guesses that she had a feather stuck since she’s molting so much and I bet that is what happened. She had taken a dust bath and was grooming herself while we were both playing in the dirt. They make hairball formula for cats-- do they make featherball formula for chickens? [​IMG]

8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Hoping you were able to catch your millie! Use the garden type sevin dust 5% liberally, turn them upside down by their feet. be sure to cover all their feathers, under the wings, get to the skin. if it is mites or lice that will kill them. Repeat once a week for 3 weeks or until gone.Better safe than sorry. It does appear to be eggs from mites or lice. Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask for help, we have all been thru a similar situation adding new birds and its sad that they sold them to you in that condition.
    Mine is still very low production,,. 5 chicken, 1 pekin and 11 quail today.I am clueless as to why, but I went thru this last year too,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by