INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Earlier I mentioned getting some red brown modern game bantams next week (if seller thinks they are big enough to ship). Here are some pictures of his stock. I sure hope mine turn out just like these! Mine will be between 2-4 months old.
1bacda78f51bb45b8720390046378cc8_zps8a3871c5.jpg

3e0f8e8355c559ebe95dd86f65a53ac4_zps7c6e6234.jpg

69c4c3cd2088436a507d39f2fe60c78f_zps743825d6.jpg

091b893de97ab9239afe53f24fb0d6e5_zpsfcea1e71.jpg

02694c4d5198ef4fd4c4987dab539ff7_zps1f3193b2.jpg

What gorgeous colored feathers the roosters have!

Today my mom called again. I was with her when she made the phone call. First when she called it said the number was dissconnected.I was outside  when this happened so she called again to show and then all the sudden apparently it was fixed and they anwsered. She explained how this was her 5th time calling and everytime they say they will call her back and never do. The asked for info and said that the payment was declined. Really! Because the money was taken out of her bank account! Needless to say I am extremly angry, not only because I am not getting a newspaper, but because they took my moms money and are saying that they didnt!I will be sure to talk to them at Lebanon.
just have your mom file a claim with her bank.

I took three of the hens and the rooster so I can answer for mine! The first night I got them home at dark and just plopped them on the roosts next to mine. The next day I had to kick them out of the coop mid day and close it off because they wouldn't leave the roosts to eat and drink and I wanted them to start integrating! They are seriously cowed by my flock (good thing I think!). Linus (formerly Moe) is settling in a bit quicker, my hens all looked seriously confused when he started crowing the first day! They were all cocking their heads and started walking towards the coop looking confused! Hilarious! These are the three I took (Linus is in the background of the first picture):

I'm glad Linus is settling in, he is a sweetie . If you think your hens are surprised by him crowing just wait till he shows them his dance moves
wink.png

The mean girls had spent considerable time in their pen,that's why they didn't go out. I couldn't keep them from going over the fence after the rest of my birds. Splitting them up is a good thing, it resets the pecking order. The one in the first pic is less aggressive,the second will need to be watched. If she gets her booty kicked a few times it will do her good. The third is lower in aggression but very shy & will fight like a wildcat if she needs to be handled.She also lays a nice blue egg.

Linus is a little young but he will try to break up fights. He separated his sisters having a spat & has tried to stop attacks but he is small. I hope it all works out.
Lora

I'm glad Linus is settling in, he is a sweetie . If you think your hens are surprised by him crowing just wait till he shows them his dance moves
wink.png

The mean girls had spent considerable time in their pen,that's why they didn't go out. I couldn't keep them from going over the fence after the rest of my birds. Splitting them up is a good thing, it resets the pecking order. The one in the first pic is less aggressive,the second will need to be watched. If she gets her booty kicked a few times it will do her good. The third is lower in aggression but very shy & will fight like a wildcat if she needs to be handled.She also lays a nice blue egg.

Linus is a little young but he will try to break up fights. He separated his sisters having a spat & has tried to stop attacks but he is small. I hope it all works out.
Lora

That is good to hear. Of the two grays with the light head, one seemed much worse. Were both of them bad or just one? She was VICIOUS and I am hoping most of the trouble started with her. I agree that splitting them up probably helped, they are out of their element for sure. Linus is adorable and I can't WAIT to see his dance moves!

Last edited:
Hey there Old Salt,
Did the mean girls give you any problems?
Lora
The mean girls are holed up in the coop. Whenever they go out, they get beat up. There is food and water in there, so they will be OK.

I nipped off the point on their beaks and talons and hobbled them. I soon took off the hobbles so they could run for their lives.

I dusted them heavily with Sevin just in case.

I also clipped their flight feathers on one side to keep them from flying over the fence until the pecking order gets sorted out.

Things were in somewhat of an uproar for the first day, but it is mostly settled down now.

FarkerFarms took 3 hens and the roo. We did all the same things to her share of the hens.

John

Last edited:
I'm guessing they were born around the 14th of Sept, they were about a week when I got them, so around 2 weeks now? they were just feathering at the tips off their wings when I got them, now all the wings are in and the tail feathers are starting, I'm not clear on the age, for them from RK so they never know
hmm.png
So, if your chicks are about 2-3 weeks old, then yeah you need a heat lamp in the coop. At least starting Sunday night for a couple nights. Make sure it is very secure, then secure it more, there are too many horror stories about heat lamps getting loose and burning down the coop.

An hour and 13 minutes without a post on this board--that could be a record!
<<radio silence>>

Yeah, i t must be. I want everyone to know, I will be without internet access this weekend, so I don't want to find out Sunday evening that I am 1,058 posts behind!
That's a rather small coop. Don't use a 250 watt bulb dead center with no place for the chicks to escape or you are liable to cook them.

John

I must've missed the coop size. How big is it? I allow for 4 square feet/chicken. 3-4 square feet minimum, for large fowl chickens.

BTW, John, your moon beam just missed me this morning. I was driving to work in the '68 Le Mans I drove to the chicken fest last July, top down of course, and a HUGE falling star went by. I mean huge and bright! Must've been visible for 10 seconds, it was the first one I've seen while driving. Very bright also, not sure what it was for the first few seconds. Was hoping for a UFO lol! The sky was getting brighter, and I saw it about 7:10 AM.

BTW, John, your moon beam just missed me this morning. I was driving to work in the '68 Le Mans I drove to the chicken fest last July, top down of course, and a HUGE falling star went by. I mean huge and bright! Must've been visible for 10 seconds, it was the first one I've seen while driving. Very bright also, not sure what it was for the first few seconds. Was hoping for a UFO lol! The sky was getting brighter, and I saw it about 7:10 AM.

There are so many good snide remarks that can be done with this, I think I'll use several.

Drat! I thought it was aimed better than that. It was supposed to land in your passenger seat. Your tinfoil hat must have messed up the homing signal.

I am jealous. I didn't get to see the alien vehicle re-entry. Rats!

I'm one of those people that get up at 4 or 5 AM during the Persides(sp?) meteor shower. Hate to have missed such a good one.

John

Back
Top Bottom