INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    My GLW were 26 weeks, my EE wasn't until the following spring! she was about a year old, I was about to give her away!
    [​IMG] and our thread [​IMG] there's a few members in your area, bet you will get some responses!

2. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I just love miss gray, beautiful colors! The roo is quite handsome too! and of course [​IMG]love the babies!

1 person likes this.
  3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I swear the quail are like lil tumblebugs, so fun to watch [​IMG]
    I bet she will be striking as an adult! Love her colors, very unusual! Abstaining from anything that includes a free roo.... ugh, I am buried in the after this last hatch!
    Agreed! Once i went to still air I have rare problems with shrink wrapped chicks. The lil quail do SO well, I really enjoy them!
    I found a great link on building your own roll-out style cage. Gave me several ideas once I saw it.
    http://floridahillbilly.com/quail-housing/

She is a beautiful girl! I love my mabel, but her comb is all twisted as she gets older.

4. HappyHappyHappy

HappyHappyHappy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    hour North of Indy
    THis has to be the best Idea ever. I am going to build it, only I will use a FIsh tank heater rather than a birdbath heater. I have everything ready just have to buy a pump and the PVC.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    My older and only sister came to visit Mom & Dad early this evening. I am out in the big coop, just finished shoveling out, and laying fresh hay down.
    She asked me what I wanted for my birthday. since this is the "big one". [​IMG]
    I said (of course) ...more birds! Her boyfriend wanted to know what birds, so I brought him out my littlest bourbon red poult snickers, he knew what he/she is!!!!
    Wow, WTG Sissy!! (was thinking ) She has never liked farm life, or birds, livestock period. HATES geese!
    She worked at an egg farm in the 70s and it turned her away from chickens all together. I sent a dozen duck eggs home with him [​IMG]
    Sis got boring chicken eggs lol, didn't want to try the duck eggs. We talked birds quite a while. Wispered to her "he's a keeper [​IMG] " and she laughed.
    So later while grocery shopping my sis calls me. The BF had called a friend at a hatchery and got me hatching eggs [​IMG]
    The surprise is how many, I told her to make sure its a post office pick up. Now I am really excited!!!!!
    Sooo if I get the porters order, that may give me 4 different lines on my BRs if the hatch goes well. Dying to know which hatchery too!
    What an AWESOME gift, she has no idea how excited I am! [​IMG] Getting a battery backup set up before the eggs come, and kerosene.
    Not taking any chances of a power failure again and no heat!

1 person likes this.
  6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    This is a fantastic idea! And I like the fish tank heater. Have several of them just sitting in the garage.
    I can use it for all the poultry except the waterfowl. I am looking at heated buckets for them, but it still needs changed daily.

7. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    You're HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!! That will be quite a flock you'll have with all of your turkey eggs and poults! You will need to start a new thread - Happy Hoosier Turkey Farmers!

1 person likes this.
  8. lilmizscareall

lilmizscareall Chillin' With My Peeps

Should I bring extra money? ;D

9. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

First off do you have city water or well water?
    Do you have a water softener?
    I suspect the yellowing to be rust. Did the plumber have to change any pipes during the bathtub replacement?
    I am on my phone so I can not type a huge reply. Let me know the answers to the two questions and we can go from there.

10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    An electric water heater has 2 heating elements. Upper and lower. There is a cover over each for access. They are 220 volt, which is a killing voltage. Shut off the power at the breaker box before messing with it, unless you want curly hair (and toes).

When the heater is working, scale will build up on the heating elements and occasionally flake off. This will build up in the bottom of the tank until it covers the bottom element, causing the bottom element to burn out. You will suddenly notice that you don't get as much hot water as before.

To avoid this, you should drain the tank occasionally. I do it once every few years or thereabouts.

There is a drain faucet at the bottom of the tank.

Step 1. Connect a garden hose to the drain faucet at the bottom of the tank and turn the faucet on full blast until it runs clear. You're done.

John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by