INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Hello Everyone!

I have 10 week old chicks, that are starting to get too big for the brooding box. We have 19 hens from this spring that are already laying. We have had them out in a separate pen during the day, and back in the brooder box at night.

I am wondering when I should just let them out with the big girls (we have let them free range with the big girls without a lot of problems), but when can they go into the coop with the big girls?

Which brings me to my next question...If they are being housed with the big girls what do I feed them all? The younger ones can't have layer food. Can they all eat GROWER food?

Another question (OT) what do I do about the eggs outside of the nesting boxes? Is there a way to make/encourage them lay eggs in the boxes?

I feel like a newbie all over again. There is always something new coming up that I have no clue about.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

2. wheezy50

wheezy50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Morgan Co.
    It appears 9 of ten eggs hatched! Two of them don't look good, I'm thinking they might have been the latest to hatch. We'll see what morning brings.

3. wheezy50

wheezy50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Morgan Co.
    I have one chick that is all yellow with feathered feet. The rooster was a BO and I think the hen was a light Brahma. Do they normally have one small black dot on their head? I read that sometimes means pullet, just wondering if anyone has experienced this?

4. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

My babies are introduced into the big-girl flock by 12 weeks old. If they're free-ranging together without much issue, then they're probably fine to be integrated. :)

Your babies should not have layer feed until at least 16 weeks old--though it's best to wait until they're actually laying. They can all eat grower feed if you provide your older hens with oyster shell. The little ones might peck at the oyster shell, but shouldn't eat much or any of it, so they'll be fine. As a side note, if you have a rooster in your flock, layer feed isn't healthy for him to eat either.

As far as eggs outside the nests, as long as they're in the coop and I know where to find them, I don't bother with trying to get them to lay in the boxes. I had one hen that started a nest in the woods a couple years ago, and the only way I got her to switch to the nests was by keeping the girls in the yard longer before letting them free-range.

1 person likes this.
  5. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I just put eggs in lockdown. I went to the dollar store and got a separator basket because I want to see how it works out.

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG]

7. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    The kiddos "Sunday Brunch".

We've been blessed to have one of the local organic produce stores give us their outdated produce weekly for the chickens. Every week we get whatever they send...zucchini, avacado, apples, blueberries, grapes, spinach, lettuces, tomatoes, etc. etc.

I go through it and weed out the things that are really bad for a separate compost area, then the girls get the rest throughout the week. I've also been saving some back in the freezer just in case they quit giving it to us in the winter.

If they continue letting us get it, these kiddos will be eating like summer all winter long!

Today there lots of cherry tomatoes and pears. I throw it out on the garden spot and let them graze it at will.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlie is molting...scruffy girl!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Alright, my Easter-egger bantam, who has been living peacefully with my 8 1/2 year old mutt rooster for a while now, has decided to beat up on the practically geriatric old guy. I have nowhere else to put him, so he has to go. I know a few of you have expressed interest in him, so I thought I would post about him here first. He's a handsome little guy, though very human shy. He really just needs a flock of older ladies to put him in his place. If anyone's interested, PM me. I'm in northeast Indiana.

Here's his most recent picture. He looks largely the same, but has more black in his chest now.

[​IMG]

This'll probably be removed for advertising even though everyone else posts their birds, but it was worth a shot.

9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Tuesday is hatch day!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there anything I should do with her nest area before hatch? She is in the bottom half of a dog crate with hay that she has made into a nest. Sitting on 9 eggs. She is by herself in a 2x4 brooder box in the barn. Should I take the dog crate out so the chicks have more room to move or leave everything as it is? I did turn the dog crate so that she can walk out of it better.

10. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Is the brooder box in a safe area from predators if you leave it open? When I have a broody I try to let her make the decision on whether she comes and goes and when if there is a predator safe area for her. Momma will know how to take care of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by