INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    My partner has bees. He gave me this link to send to you. It is a county by county list you can use to contact beekeepers to remove a swarm:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/5755.htm

2 people like this.
  2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    These chicken are also my pets. I do show them but I still consider them my pets. Now was I as attached to this one as the others, no, but still. She didnt say if it was free or not and I wasnt about to ask.
    Today when I woke up it dosent seem AS weird as yesterday. i had to laugh, but I still find out of the ordinary. Thank you!
    I have heard of chicken themed kitchens but they never had stuffed chickens in it! no I havent ever seen that movie. Whats it about?
    I am scared to death of bees, becuase I am highly allergic of them. But how nice you to try and find a home for them rather than kill them. I hate roaches and beetles. I love spider, snakes, mice, and so on. One day I was out in the garden and their are a lot of those weeds that have the white flowers. My dad was out there with me and he said be quite for a minutes and listen. He was like you hear all those flies buzzing. Umm dad those are bees. All the flower covered in honey bees! I ran away lol.
    Ha. SOunds like he gets his excerise in for the day. I had some very droppy branches this year but now broke. It was loaded with apples! I give the fallen appls to my goats and the little butts wont eat them!

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

The quote function did something weird, but I think I got what I wanted to reply to here. Anyway...

Amprolium (brand name Corid) is not an antibiotic, but a thiamine blocker, which is why it doesn't do anything to treat, well, pretty much anything beyond Coccidiosis. It works well and is a more gentle alternative to Sulmet, which is harsh and can cause a continued bleed in the gut even after Coccidiosis has been cured. It is reccomended that Sulmet be used only if Corid has failed to cure coccidiosis. My first aid kit article (linked in my signature) has doses for both Corid and Sulmet if anyone needs them. :)

Most of the questions on Coccidiosis have been answered above, but I wanted to add something to consider in regards to medicated feed.

Using medicated feed is a big controversy and everyone has their reasons for and against it. I have never used medicated feed and I always recommend against using it, myself. The reason is that I have now heard from more than one source (one a general statement about it, the other a person that had actually gone through treating after it happened) that the cocci in an area can become immune to amprolium if given in low doses, which is exactly what medicated feed is. The best route if you want to prevent an outbreak of coccidiosis is to plan ahead for your chicks' first exposure to the outside world.

Cocci are most active in wet soil. In dry, dusty soil, they become inactive. This is the optimal time to expose chicks to the soil, either by taking the chicks outside or by bringing the soil to them. What I do is I dig up a chunk of sod or some dirt for the chicks to play in from a dry area on the property, within the area that my hens roam. This not only exposes them to anything else they might encounter after being introduced to the flock, but it also exposes them to the inactive cocci in the soil and allows them to build up an immunity naturally, without risk of the native cocci becoming immune to amprolium. Of course, if you have chicks at wetter times of the year, you can always just dig up some mud and leave it somewhere to dry before exposing them to it. :)

2 people like this.
  4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Congrats
    Thank you.ANd no it was not for a museum. it was for her own personal collection.
    I didnt mean any offense either, I just have never heard of someoone doing that to anything but like a deer or a racoon, not their pet.
    But the duck was wild right? Still something I would never expect to get in the mail. I dont own any taxidermey and never will. My brother in law had a stuffed dear head mounted on the wall in the living room until my sister made him take it down. When My dog dies I will bury here and maybe make a little paw print stone that says here name on it, but I am not having my dog stuffed. I didnt respond after that line.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    thanks for the info pipd! I will have to check out you first aid kit!

6. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Ccccc- hope floats- with Sandra Bullock and Gena Rowland's plays her mother. Gena makes her living off of stuffed animals and the movie shows multiple stuffed house cats. Creepy but kinda funny!! It's a cute movie though!

1 person likes this.
  7. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    We've had over 4 inches last night and today. I should've emptied my rain gauge when it stopped for a while! Our creek is out of the banks and roaring like a ...... And the chickens are all hiding!

I got my baby girl dog back yesterday. She's doing better. She didnot have an intestinal blockage but her small intestine was looped thru a section of torn membrane . I can't give you the names for all of that. But so far she is keeping food down!!! First time in 2.5 weeks!!

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont know if that is more serious or not, but It at least sounds like she is doing better!
    o, I have never heard of it. I fi can find a place to rent it I will watch it.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Pipd- I skimmed through your first aid kit. You packed it full of information! I am going to back through it later tonight and read all of it. I definaltey need to go to the store as I dont have half of that stuff. And after reading what you said about medicated chick starter, I am not going to use it. I think I bought one bag in the past on accident.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    someone on facebook on farm animal page is trying to sell 2 barred rock hens for $10, They are clearly roosters. I wonder if they lay double yokers! lol

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by