INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

As an avid bird watcher there are a few birds that have remained rather elusive to me. The rather stunning Wood Duck being one of those that I have never seen.
    A friend of mine from Texas sent me a package one day, open it up and about freaked.
    He had sent me his first ever duck kill which happened to be a Wood Duck. It is beautifully stuffed and mounted. It was a phenomal gesture, but I defiantly put it on my 'who sends someone someing like that' list.

I can see why people do it, recording memorable times/pets. But wanting someone else dead animal for their own collection is odd. Specially if it is something they too can find for themselves.

Still chucking at the phrase 'proudly mounting my birds since 1971'.

1 person likes this.
  2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Yes I have friends that do taxidermy. Just asking for a persons dead chicken struck me as funny at 1am. I used to always joke that I was going to have my favorite dog stuffed when she passed so I could always have her around ;). That was before it actually happened. She ended up under my tree. Anyway, I didn't mean any offense. To each their own. Every one is different that's what makes life interesting.

1 person likes this.
  3. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    yeah I think that's what got me lol

1 person likes this.
  4. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I had a Bob call me yesterday asking to buy 2 BO roosters. I did not have any. I will send you his info.
    So sorry, glad it was not your favorite.

I see it as strange for a residential collection but if it is like a museum room or something maybe not so strange. After all there are tons of wax museums and The wax people makers had to start off somehow. Think of strange others felt when they walked into a house that had a wax statue.

5. wheezy50

wheezy50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Morgan Co.
    Thanks

6. wheezy50

Mar 12, 2013
    Morgan Co.
    Martinsville RK still has ISA brown pullets as of this morning, if anyone was still looking.

7. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    I also think it is pretty cool. There are many animals that the only way we know what they look like is from the mounted specimens in Museums. I think having a collection of SOP birds is a super cool idea and a great learning tool.

1 person likes this.
  8. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Didn't make it there till just before closing. Only ISA Browns

9. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN

I am so happy for you that its all clear. Its scary when Mareks comes into the conversation.

[​IMG]

I was thinking the lady was a little whacky, but I'd probably just say no thanks. After reading your explanation it makes more sense. This is just another good example of the ranges of normal for people on this thread, from "I have chickens as pets in the house" to production farms and now creeped out by stuffed chickens to "please do"... I personally like my chickens stuffed with sausage stuffing.

1 person likes this.
  10. wheezy50

Mar 12, 2013
    Morgan Co.
    Just checked the bantams coop. My broody hens have at least two new chicks poking out from under their wings.

I'm going to wait till after the colts game and try to figure out just how many there are.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by