INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    aww.sorry you lost some. I would imagiene any flock infected with it would lose at least a few before they realized what it was. So after it is treated do then carry a form of it for the rest of their life? If someone were to buy a check that previously had cocci but was cured would it pass something on to their existing flock? so many questions

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    On facebook I posted on this leghorn page that me rcbl died. And someone asked me if i wnated them to mount her. i was confused by this and then found out they meant like taxidermy. People do that!!![​IMG]. I thought people only did that to wild animals. She said she stuffs many show birds. I dont care if it was best showbird and I had won many many many times with it I am not doing that! No offense to anyone but I find that weird. Am I the only one?. i was just like ummmm....no thank you, that is not something i would be interested in doing.I didnt know what to say[​IMG]

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    That person just said they would be interested in having my dead bird for here collection! She wants my dead chicken! Now that is beyond weird! I am not giving someone my dead chicken! How do I get caught in these weird conversations![​IMG] no one is awake for me to call and talk to about this so figured I would just post it here. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    hahahahaha I am literally laughing out loud. That is crazy! Lol

5. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    well, cocci is in the soil and all chickens are exposed to it and carry it but their immune systems keep it in check. When chicks are exposed to large amounts of it before they've built an immunity they get an infection. Grown chickens rarely get it but can, especially if a new strain is brought in by equipment, a new bird in the flock, etc. I've read chicks brought up by a broody hen rarely get it as they are exposed to it gradually starting day one. If you are raising chicks inside medicated feed until AFTER they are outside a couple of weeks does a pretty good job preventing it. It allows just enough cocci in to build a resistance. If a bird does get it and gets over it they usually have built immunity and won't get it again. Or so I read. I spent many of nights googling this when I had sick chicks :) now I just keep corid on hand just in case

6. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    If they have immune problems all bets are off. But all that applies to otherwise healthy chickens.

7. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I know! I was freaking out. I was just posting that one of my birds died as on the leghorn thread we carry on conversations just as we would on here.and then that lady commented. Who just asks for someones dead chicken! she keeps trying to carry on a conversation about it. Im sorry but I dont want to have a conversation about she kills these birds and stuffs them. Sometimes they kill these birds just to show! She says she is starting her own collection of SOP birds. I didnt want to be rude, so I said O i see, tat definatley a different hobby, good luck with your collections. And she said thanks I have been proudly mounting my birds since 1971. I should of just stopped typing, but I felt obligated to anwser for some reason. My sister was awake and I talked to her. She thought it was weird too.

9. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I would just politely say you want to give her a proper burial, hmm. Sounds a little unusual to me as well.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by