INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    well I'm glad it wasn't your favorite at least. Still stinks. Hope all else goes well while you are away.

2. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    And thanks. Those test results were a huge relief. I think I'll still only get vaccinated babies from now on. That mareks scare took ten years off my life lol

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    i bet they were! i would of been the same way
    Thanks.

I read up on cocci as I had no clue what it was. Now i know of another disease to be worried about, but know none of my birds have it. I have NEVER seen blood in the poop of any chickens I have owned. it sounds like a pretty terrible disease, sounds about as bad as the bubonic plaque was in humans! I am glad I read up on it.

4. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    sjanowie~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread!
    Originally Posted by EmSteele [​IMG]
    No eggs. That 30 week cut off date is coming up pretty fast. I'm readying myself for the fact that I may never be a chicken grandma..I my never hatch my own eggs from my flock. They've apparently decided I don't NEED my own fresh eggs. a couple hens are secure enough in my devotion to them that they don't worry about going to the cooking pot even though they aren't giving eggs. *sigh*

EmSteele~ I'm in the same boat. My Jubilee and Chocolate Bantam orpingtons are both 30 weeks old although the breeder didn't give me the exact day that each one hatched. I haven't noticed any signs that either might be laying soon. Out of my five hens, I my RIR and BR are the only ones laying because the others are molting. I guess I can't complain since I am still able to eat breakfast.
    Julie0477 posted: One of my many many MANY roosters. I think this guy is s polish cross frizzle. I'm basing that purely on the v-comb. He was showing some aggression to one of my silkies today. He might need a new home we shall see [​IMG]
    Julie 0477~ This rooster looks very indignant! Hilarious look! [​IMG]
    CCCHICKENS posted~ She did not actually die that is why I put "passed away". She had a torn tendon and a couple of toes that were out of place, not how she did it but it was obvious she was not going to get better. I found someone to do the deed for me.
    CCCHICKENS~ Sorry, that occurred me to later that evening after I posted. I'm glad you found someone to help. And sorry to hear about your latest loss! [​IMG]
    barb s~ Looks like you hit the jackpot! All of your chicks are adorable!
    MrTattoohead~ NIce eggs-- both "before" and "after."
    LeahsMom~ Mister and MissGray make a stunning couple.
    bradselig~ Nice pics as always. Looks like you have a busy weekend with all of those mouths to feed!

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I am glad I did too and thank you

6. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Julie0477~ The indignant rooster photo didn't post, so here he is again! Funny guy.

[​IMG]

7. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    yes coccidosis STINKS but corid takes care of it fast (thankfully)

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    yes, sounds like a very helpful (med or antibotic I dont rmemeber what I read). I am glad I have never had to deal with it. And am sorry for the people who have. I watched a very descriptive videoon youtube. It was no pleasant it showed how the chickens acted as it got increasingly worse. They chicken had died by day 6.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I have a question. I have an old pen that has a rabbit in it. But I am going to take the rabbit out and then put some chickens in it. Do I need to get some type of cleaning spray to clean in there? Or will be okay if I just get as much as I can out with a shovel?

10. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I had babies get it this spring. It was bad I lost several. And they were so young id never even let them outside so i didnt think it could be cocci. Once I figured out what it was (either my brooder or the one at RK must have bern contimated with it) and started corid the ones left were all better within 24 hours. Now I know what to look for. Lots of learning for me this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by