INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

I'm near Columbia City, maybe 15 minutes away. I also make regular trips to Fort Wayne if that's any help.

2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I will have to put a door on the side of the tractor. Although she would have to go through the alpaca stalls to go outside. So I am not sure about letting her do it on her own. The alpacas are very calm with the chickens, except for one little yearling girl that likes to chase them. I don't want baby chickies getting stepped on. Lavender is sitting on 5 silkies and 4 LF eggs. They will be very small.
    I think someone needs to come here and hold my hand through this!!! HA! [​IMG]

BTW Pipd, your rooster is very pretty, if I didn't have 3 boys already, I would consider taking him.
    My chickens are friends not food. [​IMG]

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    aww, I was hoping you were closer. Fort wayne is closer than columbia city but that still an hour drive.

4. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    J3nn ~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread! Recently, we've had several posts from new people. Here is info for everyone.
    Do you want to be listed on the BYC Indiana Members’ List?
    “Being a member of this thread” just means adding your screen name and flock info, which can be helpful because the list is a spreadsheet format that lets you sort the list by breed, county, or other category. It’s an easy way to find other members who have the same breed you have or who live in a nearby county, etc.

Click on the link below my signature to view the list. Just look at the bottom of the list page for sorting options.

If you’d like to be added, send me a PM (personal message) by simply placing your cursor over my screen name: Mother2Hens, and you will see “Send a PM.” A personal message ensures that your info is added. Please send your screen name, county, and city. Also include the following information about each member of your flock: List each species (chicken, duck, etc.), breed (Barred Rock, Blue Cochin, etc.), is it a LF (Large Fowl) or Bantam? If you breed, please include the species. bradselig actually adds the info, so you can PM him directly, too-- whatever is the easiest for you. if you have any questions about this thread, please PM Jchny2000 (Janet) who is the founder (thread starter) of this group. Others on our volunteer committee are helping to help~ Quinstar, vickichicki, and CluckAcres.

Indiana County Map for instant member location/Avatars
    If anyone would like a map of your county, like the one on my avatar, I will be happy to provide one. If someone wants a combo map and a chicken or an animal for your avatar, I can put that together for you, just PM me. When I read posts, many times I think “Now where are they from?” I look at the city and still have no idea what part of the state they’re from. The map icon with the county in red because you could quickly glance and see where the member who is posting is from. These avatars are not required-- they are just a free service if you’re interested.

If members would like me to change the photo(s) on their avatars, just PM me. Someone might have a picture of a chick that has grown into a hen (or a roo!) and would like to update the photo or someone might like something totally different.

BYC Indiana Google Map for detailed information
    Cluck Acres (Curtis) set up a Google Map for just us INDIANA BYC’ers. You must first log on to your Google account or make a Google account. (If you have gmail, just use your gmail password). All you have to do is go to this link....http://goo.gl/maps/UShV6 . Here are the directions. You will see the state of Indiana.. Zoom in to where you live and then click on the red button that says Edit. After you click Edit you will see a hand, blue pin point and a zig zag line on the map. Click the pin point and drag it to where you live on the map. After you have placed your pin point then click on it and you can edit your description by adding your county. If you want to change your blue pin point to another icon or upload your own then up on the right of that box click the pin point icon and choose others or upload your own icon. If anyone has problems with this feel free to ask.

This information is submitted periodically by Mother2Hens

5. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Leahs Mom~ Avocados are on the Do Not Eat list! Maybe your chickens don't even eat them.

I used to worry about the chickens eating our tomato plants, but they seem to know what is safe to eat and what isn't. My Jubilee orp came walking up to the back door yesterday with a round circle about the size of a nickel in her beak. She dropped it and I picked it up . . . it was a googley eye-- from a kid's craft project. Luckily, she didn't try to eat it!
    [​IMG]I loved seeing your mama hen and babies picture again! At bedtime, my chocolate bantam orp snuggles up under my gigantic Jubilee orp and looks just like her baby even though they're the same age!

barb s~ Glad your chicks are doing well!
    wheezy~ Can't wait to see photos of your hen's hatch! Congrats!
    kabhyper~ Keep us posted about your girl's hatch. You'll probably camp out next to her! (I would, too)

6. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a security camera in the barn, but its close to camping out. lol If I hear peeps I'm running out there! [quote. name="Mother2Hens" url="/t/730582/indiana-bycers-here/15210#post_12112663"][COLOR=006400]Leahs Mom~[/COLOR][COLOR=006400]Avocados are on the Do Not Eat list![/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Maybe your chickens don't even eat them.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]I used to worry about the chickens eating our tomato plants, but they seem to know what is safe to eat and what isn't. My Jubilee orp came walking up to the back door yesterday with a round circle about the size of a nickel in her beak. She dropped it and I picked it up . . . it was a googley eye-- from a kid's craft project. Luckily, she didn't try to eat it![/COLOR] [​IMG] [COLOR=8B4513]I loved seeing your mama hen and babies picture again! At bedtime, my chocolate bantam orp snuggles up under my gigantic Jubilee orp and looks just like her baby even though they're the same age![/COLOR] [rule][COLOR=CC3333]barb s~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Glad your chicks are doing well![/COLOR] [rule][COLOR=0000CD]wheezy~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Can't wait to see photos of your hen's hatch! Congrats![/COLOR] [rule][COLOR=008080]kabhyper~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Keep us posted about your girl's hatch. You'll probably camp out next to her! (I would, too) [/COLOR] [/quote]

7. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Originally Posted by vickichicki [​IMG]
    As an avid bird watcher there are a few birds that have remained rather elusive to me. The rather stunning Wood Duck being one of those that I have never seen.

vickichicki~ I think I may have mentioned this to you before, but this is a great "Duckumentary," which can be seen free online. It features a beautiful Wood Duck.

[​IMG]
    danad~ So glad to hear that your doggy recovered! Hope progress has been made in the case of the neighbor's loose dog. And hope your DH is home and didn't try to smuggle Brazilian quail eggs home. LOL CLAH (Cackle Like A Hen).

8. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    YAY babies!!! be sure to take pics if you can so we see the cute fuzzies too!

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] wellll of course they do!
    Mine overflowed ugh so over six inches by 7pm tonight. what a muddy mess. I am so glad your baby girl has improvement!
    Almost sounds like a hernia. [​IMG] Speedy recovery and lots of hugs to her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by