INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I have used Mt Healthy in OH as well as Meyer for meat birds and basic layers.
    I don't have anyone local.. and hope more in our area will join in the reality of chicken keeping.
    If no one here has a link, try a new thread on byc asking about iowa blues.
    Looks like both you mentioned are reputable breeders with good credentials!
    Both are quite impressive.

2 people like this.
  2. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    You're a good daughter! You take really loving and thoughtful care of your parents. I only hope my own kids take as good care of me one day. All you need now is a therapy chicken or turkey!

1 person likes this.
  3. toodlesmom

Jul 1, 2013
    Are you wanting to get into Heritage birds to breed or for your home flock? I am wanting to have all Heritage birds for a healthy, diverse, old-fashioned home flock that will lay over a longer number of years (though fewer per week).

I went to the Heritage Chickens thread on BYC and connected with a breeder from PA who specializes in English Light Sussex. She has non-breeder pullets now available. They are really regal looking. I also met a breeder from SC who breeds English Buff Orpingtons. They are gorgeous! She has breeder stock available now and also has a person she has been mentoring who may have non-breeder stock available.

I want a mix of types of hens, feather colors, and egg colors. I had thought about RIRs and BRs, but my SC contact was concerned that their personalities would not be a good mix with the BOs. Not sure what choices I will make. I'm not particularly interested in breeders or show birds at this time, and I don't want roosters.

I looked at the two sites you mentioned. Their prices were comparable with other sites I have looked at and with the breeders I have talked to. There are a few breeders here in Indiana, too, and Sally from Indiana on this Indiana BYCers thread breeds Heritage RIRs. Where do you live? Maybe we can go in together on some hens. Are you going to the National Poultry Show in Ohio in November? That is an excellent place to buy quality chickens.

4. toodlesmom

Jul 1, 2013
    M2H - I know you were concerned that your English orps have not produced any eggs yet. I was reading on the website for Waltz's Ark Ranch, which breeds LF Jubilee Orps and Bantam Chocolate Orps, and saw the following:

Please be aware prior to your purchase that these are mostly exhibition lines of Orpington. The focus of most of the show breeders "across the big pond" is on exhibition, not production. These birds are generally not fantastic layers, so if you are seeking high egg production, you will want to stick with the American Orpington, or choose one of our more prolific dual-purpose breeds. These English varieties tend to start and stop on egg production throughout the year, have fertility issues (see more info at the bottom of this page) due to their thick feathering (we do fertility trims on all of our breeders), and take longer to go through the molt cycle. They also require a high-protein diet from hatch to lay, and they eat plenty of it. Still, they are worth it all!

So your girls may just be acting true to breed.

5. toodlesmom

Jul 1, 2013
    John,

My agent dropped DDDH off; gagged, blind-folded, and hog-tied; in front of the Purdue Memorial Union Sunday night.

I disguised raccoons with small suits, sunglasses, and luggage; purchased 37 1/4 train tickets for Washington D.C.; bid raccoons adieu this morning.

Scrubbed raccoon footprints off porch wall this afternoon, followed by performance of Happy Dance.

Mother-in-law spun in grave.

Sally

4 people like this.
  6. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    We are on well water here, it's about 70 feet deep. Never have any water supply issues, even during the drought in '12. We don't have any problem with the iron content either, it's plentiful lol. And the sulfur smell, sometimes. Our water softener from Aqua Systems has been reliable for 13 years now, but we still have the iron on the hot side, I suspect build up in the water heater from all those decades of never doing any maintenance.

Yes the water heater is on the softened side of the softener, ha.

Would you drain a water heater as old as ours? Like 37 years old?? It is gas, at least, not electric. I've thought of going with an 'on demand' tankless if the tank one dies.

Haven't read all the posts yet, we were away for the weekend again and I'm behind 172 posts.

7. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    [​IMG] All new members

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I never really though if cutting them up. I will try that maybe then the litttle stunborn brats will eat them. I have 3 weathers and one doe. My boys are bery well behaved. ocassionally i get a jead butt in the leg but that only happens when i feed them. there are a bunch of pine tree with them and theey ate all the pine needles they can reqch.

9. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

We are on well too, even with the option of city water. I was rather suffer iron then the chlorine smell.
    We removed the ironide rod, and just do a yearly drain and rinse. The softener drain is close enough that we do as old salt said and attach the hose pipe to the bottom and snake the pipe down the drain.
    Recently changed from a gas to an electric. Using less than $5 a month on gas but the fees on the gas means each bill was almost $20. Kinda felt ripped off.

We thought our well dried up about two years ago, that was on my list of least fun jobs I have done (drywall sanding being number 1 of course). Turns out it needed around 10ft of extra piping. Dealing with all the junk that stirred up was awful. Several weeks before we had potable water in our house.

Well if you need a gas water heater let me know, we have one that has become a piece of furniture in my dining room.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I also have well water. I have blonde hair and it turns my hair orange so i get malibu treatments every couple weeks. City water literally makes me sick if i drink it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by