INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. barb s

barb s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
    Thank you for responding. I want to get into the heritage birds for basically the same reasons as you do. There are 3 or 4 breeds that I would like to try my hand at breeding. But what I mostly want to do is have a flock of pure breed heritage birds that will make pure breed heritage mutts. I know that you can't really call them pure breeds because they are mixed. But imo if the rooster is a pure bred heritage bpr and the hen is a pure bred heritage blrw then the chicks are going to be beautiful pure bred heritage mutts. Does that make sense to anyone but me. I don't know maybe my thinking is way off base.

Other than a few breeds that I know are definite I'm gonna have I can't make up my mind what I want to end up. Someday maybe I will have some of all the breeds that I have on my wish list.

I'm glad to hear the positive feedback on the breeders that I had mentioned. I did place a order for spring chicks from one of them. So come this spring I will be getting Isbars, Bredas, Light Sussex, Coronation Sussex and Swedish Flower Hens. I can't wait.

We live near Columbia City in Northern Indiana. I would be very interested in possible going in on a an order with you depending on when you are wanting to place it. I really need to wait until spring before I get anymore. I would be willing to meet you half way. Just let me know and maybe we can work something out.

I hope to be able to go to the Nationals in Ohio this year but don't know if we will be able to.

2. barb s

barb s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
    II would love to get the Iowa Blues that you know about. But like you said it is a little far to drive. And I was looking at getting them in the spring rather than right now. But thank you very much for the offer. And I was able to locate a breeder on line that I have contacted about getting chicks in the spring. Again thank you for your offer

3. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I have Indian Runner Duck eggs. I have 3 ducks and 5 drakes, so they are well fertilized. I get about 1 egg per day at this time. The ducks are about 5 months old. I don't care for the stronger taste of them. We use them in baking.

You can have (free) as many as I have, currently 10. Don't know if they would hatch well. They are usually laid in mud, so I wash them with clean water. If you want to hatch some, let me know and I will collect them without washing.

John

4. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here's a picture of the first RIR chick hatching last night.
    [​IMG]

Aretha is fiercely guarding them post-hatch. This morning, all 3 chicks were warm and dry under her. I'll take some pictures of their cute & fuzzy faces tonight.

3 people like this.
  5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    It never hurts to do a drain. Sort of like washing your hands; might not need to; couldn't hurt.

John

6. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    thanks John. They actually aren't for me. I like to bake with them but my 9 year old turned out to have an allergy (seriously?!) so I can't use them. I put an ad on CL to unload them and a lady answered that wants them because she is allergic to chicken eggs. The irony. I'm pretty far for her though. She wants me to meet her half way and i just dont have the time to do it. I could put you in touch if your interested in selling a few.

7. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Here's an update on the broody girls and their eggs. Was out in the coop today and thought I heard faint peep peep sounds. One of the girls sitting on 4 eggs stood up to position herself and I saw about a 1/4 inch hole in one of the eggs. They are 21 days today. The other broody has 4 eggs under her as well and she keeps positioning the eggs. Thinking we're on a roll now. Our first hatch! When my 4 kiddos get off the bus, they're going to be so excited. The other broody we have is still wishing those eggs were hers. lol Not now, girl. 8 is enough!

8. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    On the avacado - they can eat the flesh, just not the skin or seed. I often don't put the avacado in, but if I do, I cut them open. They only eat what isn't offensive to them.

9. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Btw My silkie with the babies started laying again. Looks like she's gearing up for round 2! I hope she waits til spring!!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  10. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by