INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana
    And a couple of winter photos. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [/quote] That's awesome! Maybe I'll try that with our abundance of leaves this fall!!

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    im confused. i have died my hair before but have decided i am not going to for a while. Ic you ate wanting to know if i am just pulling your leg about it turning my hair orange im not. It real does turn my blonde hair orange. the only reason i have ever died my hsir is to try snd cover up the orange but it just fades right back to blonde in two weeks and is not worth the money. So now i have to get malibu treatment every three weeks to a month. I ocassionally use iron out on my hair too, but that is bery damaging to your hair. None of those special shampoos gool you they dont work. trust me, been there dine that

3. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Yes. In 2 or 3 weeks, you won't know it ever happened.

John

4. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Did a quick search for ironide rod, found nothing. Did you mean the anode rod? You really don't want to do that, it will shorten the water heater life. I know what you mean about the gas dilevery charges. Seems very high!

We have enough stuff in our dining room, thanks. Always nice to have the ole' trusty water heater in there for conversation, eh?

5. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN

I've looked into the tankless kind, we have only 1 bathroom so no huge demand for hot water. Pretty sure it could keep up. The well would be ok also, since it works fine now. The tankless would save money in the long run, especially if it lasts 35 years with no repairs! I'd have to re-route the exhaust to install the tankless, as the tanked exhaust goes up the (retired) furnace chimney. If I could get rid of the old furnace chimney, I could squeeze in a small 1/2 bathroom at the top of our staircase for the 2 bedrooms up there, and make a skylight where the chimney went thru. That'd be nice, since we sleep upstairs. The house was built in the mid 1920s, with real 2x4 wood.

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    If you keep adding to it a bit at a time as you have time, it can get nice and deep and keep the "critters" from getting totally frozen out in the winter. I just add to it as I go.

Kind of like making a "forest floor". The leaves fall, wood pieces are deteriorating and bugs and good microbes are at work. As they dig in there they actually get some good bacteria (think probiotics) that helps them build a good immune system.

It's a win-win situation and they also have something to do with themselves when they're stuck inside the run.

Only 1 thing I don't use is straw. Straw takes a LONG time to break down and the hollow "straw-like" pieces can harbor lice. It also tends to mold since it takes so long to break down. I used some straw bales to sit on and as a wind-break during the winter last year but at the end of the season I removed them and tried to get any stray straw off the ground. I actually burn the stuff to avoid the molds and bad bugs.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  7. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I bought a standard sediment filter and installed it on the outlet side of the well pressure tank. Before installing it, a bucket of water had a orange hue to it. Afterwards, it is completely clear.

I was surprised at the difference. [​IMG] The filters for us last 2 or 3 months before they start to plug up and constrict water flow. The filters are 2 or 3 bucks. The filter holder contraption was 20 or 30 as I recall.

With all the iron rust removed from the water, my chickens weigh less and can fly to the top roost more readily. [​IMG]

John

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    wow sounds like i need one of those!

9. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    vickichicki -- Too Fast is right. Put the anode rod back in the tank. It's purpose is to provide a sacrificial metal that will corrode away rather than the inside of your tank. It is VERY necessary for the long life of your tank.

Also, don't fiddle with the safety valve at the top of the tank. It is usually connected to a long pipe that goes down the side of the tank to a drain at the floor. It has a lever that you can lift and let steam or air or hot water out of it and through the pipe. They sometimes leak and are replaced with a cap. This is bad. Mythbusters set one up like that and then overheated it until the tank burst. The tank flew up from the basement through the 1st floor, 2nd floor, ceiling, roof, and continued to an altitude of 150 feet. Not good, particularly if your bed is directly above it. It would mess up your fancy new bedspread.

John

10. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

I'd be willing to make an hour trip so that he can go to a good home. :) That is, if you're still interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by