INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:
    And a couple of winter photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I'm not too interested in driving somewhere to sell or give away eggs. I'm a couple of miles west of Lebanon. If she's interested, she can come here. I only get a 1 or 2 per day, so it's likely not worth the trip for either of us.

John

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Leah's Mom I use those wood chips in my run too. But I need to put some kind of wall along the run fence so that I can raise the ground level before spring or when the snow starts melting and the spring rains come, Mud will abound. There is still grass in my run, we just pile the chips on the bare ground, then the chicks and ducks spread them out and grass starts to grow in the chip covered ground. I am waiting on more chips but for some reason our tree trimmer friend has not been in our area. I'm thinking of calling a second trimmer but the thought of wood chip overload is preventing that.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I get close to the same amount. She asked if I could save them back a couple weeks (that usually gives me two dozen). I'm not sure where she is in Indy. If she's closer to you than me she'd probably take you up on whatever you have to offer. I'll see where she is.

5. Delawaremommy

Delawaremommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    try rural king in Martinsville....they had ISA pullets last weekend....

6. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey guys, my silkie roo broke the tip of his beak off on the hardware cloth in his run today. Just the very end of it. It bled a little bit. Will it heal on its own?

7. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm new to understanding biosecurity. I think I'm misunderstanding something, so I trust the long-timers will share their experience and straighten me out
    Since I have a Mareks positive flock, I am apprehensive to step foot in TSC or Rural King when they have chicks.
    Surely folks with poultry diseases on their shoes, coats, hands, etc. shop at those stores, too, when they shouldn't be. Maybe even the people who work there carry diseases on their person.
    To me, it seems inherently bio-UN-secure to buy chicks from a farm store. How can these things be true? Those ideas don't seem to make sense together to me.

8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    it is a risk, but it is a risk because wild birds carry it too and just about anyone could somehow have brought it into the store. But the same goes for a lot of places. If the disease is on one's shoes then in theory it could be on a grocery store's floor. I have a special pair of shoes for the chickens but that is more to keep the mess out of my house. Turns out it is good for bio reasons too. DH on the other hand is not as careful with his shoes. If our flock comes down with something, it still might not be him, it could be the wild birds, my chick buyers, random people that just stop buy and look at my chickens without asking, the list goes on and on. Still I don't vax the chicks. Please don't take this the wrong way but with a flock that is positive wouldn't you want to buy chicks from a place that does give them a shot against the disease. Also I don't think you are a large risk if the clothes you are practicing good bio measures including changing your shoes and clothes before leaving your house everytime. This would keep the risks lower for your car and the places you go.

9. Delawaremommy

May 11, 2013
    I worry about people who have been mounting chickens for that long......poor little chickens....

Glad the pup is good again!

Is that the lie your telling about why you dye your hair?!?

Does he ship chicks? I will possibly be looking for more Delaware chicks in spring but would like better quality than the hatchery babies I have now.

I put down straw to cover some of the water damage in my girls pen...they are now busy putting it where it really needs to be according to them! silly little girls. Then this morning I added insult to injury by throwing in some old raisin bran, a little scratch and some grapes (also known as chicken crack at my house) which all sank into the straw so they had to forage for it all. Too funny watching them try and find the good stuff.

Later today or tomorrow they are going to go next door to my brothers house as his backyard is full of baby crickets which I am pretty sure they won't mind helping eradicate for him!

Welcome all newcomers and hope everyone had a good weekend even though it was rather wet!

I finally caught up!!! and I am claiming post 15259 as my 50th post!!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Delawaremommy

May 11, 2013
    I think!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by