INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Additional... Looked into the tankless. Seems 50/50 on opinions for them. Depends on the house size, number of fixtures and people in the house being a big factor. Also whether your pressure tank can keep up with a good gpm for extended use.

2. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You may have mentioned before but I do not remember. If it was not for some stunning books I have and the advent of the Internet I would not have seen half of the birds. Everytme we drive past some water DH exclaims 'wood duck'. Naturally I get excited then I am crushed when it is just mallards. He does it on purpose. Every evening we see a bird flying late at night he says they are nighthawks ( another one I have not seen). Isn't he wonderful.... :rolleyes:

3. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I just can't keep up with all of you. Been really busy round here. Glad the rain fAnlly stopped. this is pic of my back yard. It was ankle deep. Oh well the ducks loved it. !!!
    [​IMG]

4. barb s

barb s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
    Thank you for the information. I haven't started a new thread on here inquiring about the Iowa Blue but I have searched the site a couple of times. I did find a breeder on line that I emailed about getting ask for information on getting chicks from her. The place is called Cedarcreek Poultry.

5. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Wow -- great weather to be a duck! Saw on the radar map all the rain that a lot of you got. It often seems like we sit in between the rain bands. We saw a lot go west of us towards South Bend and a huge amount of rain go southeast of us. At least we got about an inch or so. We'll take whatever we can get at this point. Hopefully our pasture will start to grow again fast enough to get one more cutting of hay for the alpacas & rabbits over winter.

6. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    I think we finally have a fairly accurate idea of how many drakes are in our Ancona duck flock now. There are 5 with the curled tail feather and another we're fairly certain is a drake, although his curl isn't showing up much yet. The boys are definitely bigger than the girls. I read some comments that their legs should be thicker, too. When they hold still long enough for me to get a good look I think I can see that, too. Unless we discover more drakes, the current count is 6 drakes and 10 ducks. Which means that we have 3 drakes too many. Which means that now my son will have to decide which ones he will not keep. This could be a hard one because a number of his favorites are now drakes! If anyone is interested in an Ancona drake, let me know. Otherwise they'll be headed for the freezer.

7. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Our broody young Cream Legbar hatched 3 beautiful fuzzy RIR babies last night at 20 days!
    They're beautiful! Thanks go to VICKICHICKI!
    I'll send pics as soon as I can. Hooray, Aretha! She did great work!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Hopefully, she'll get back to the business of laying eggs now!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  8. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

Barb S : i know a guy up around my way that has some iowa blues (i think he has 3 left) that he is looking to rehome to a good home - prob too far away tho as he's about 90+ minutes north of saginaw MI. If you are interested , send me a p.m. & ill contact him & send you phone # etc...... we got 2 nice deleware pullets from him recently - they are nice lookin birds

9. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone was asking about new water heaters in previous posts - we went to a tankless , & love it . I think we use less propane than when we had the tank kind. It costs a lot more initially, but long term should save $$$

10. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    If I wasnt all electric I would put in a tankless. We have one here at work and the hot water never runs out. It only calls for hot water when the water is turned on hot. Big money saver.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by