INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Additional... Looked into the tankless. Seems 50/50 on opinions for them. Depends on the house size, number of fixtures and people in the house being a big factor. Also whether your pressure tank can keep up with a good gpm for extended use.

Originally Posted by vickichicki /img/forum/go_quote.gif As an avid bird watcher there are a few birds that have remained rather elusive to me. The rather stunning Wood Duck being one of those that I have never seen. [COLOR=A52A2A]vickichicki~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]I think I may have mentioned this to you before, but this is a great "Duckumentary," which can be seen free online. It features a beautiful Wood Duck.[/COLOR] [rule][COLOR=006400]danad~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]So glad to hear that your doggy recovered! Hope progress has been made in the case of the neighbor's loose dog. And hope your DH is home and didn't try to smuggle Brazilian quail eggs home. LOL CLAH (Cackle Like A Hen).[/COLOR]
You may have mentioned before but I do not remember. If it was not for some stunning books I have and the advent of the Internet I would not have seen half of the birds. Everytme we drive past some water DH exclaims 'wood duck'. Naturally I get excited then I am crushed when it is just mallards. He does it on purpose. Every evening we see a bird flying late at night he says they are nighthawks ( another one I have not seen). Isn't he wonderful.... :rolleyes:

I just can't keep up with all of you. Been really busy round here. Glad the rain fAnlly stopped. this is pic of my back yard. It was ankle deep. Oh well the ducks loved it. !!!
563645_10151771626472701_642515539_n.jpg

I have used Mt Healthy in OH as well as Meyer for meat birds and basic layers.
I don't have anyone local.. and hope more in our area will join in the reality of chicken keeping.
If no one here has a link, try a new thread on byc asking about iowa blues.
Looks like both you mentioned are reputable breeders with good credentials!
Both are quite impressive.
My korean sis in law had so many unique thoughts (to me) on animals used for food. We talked often but with the language barrier, both of us struggled to understand.
The little language dictionaries sure helped! I got us a set for her welcome gift to the states.
It is just amazing how different cultures look at what is considered acceptable food animals.. insects ugh.
I really loved spending time with her, she had a sweet soul and tried hard to raise her 3 children as American but also to retain their culture too.
welcome-byc.gif
and our thread, if I haven't said so already
frow.gif

My kids keep wanting me to join. I may do it come winter when things are quieter. I do love the site!
jsummers and I both do but we are in madison co.

Thank you for the information. I haven't started a new thread on here inquiring about the Iowa Blue but I have searched the site a couple of times. I did find a breeder on line that I emailed about getting ask for information on getting chicks from her. The place is called Cedarcreek Poultry.

I just can't keep up with all of you. Been really busy round here. Glad the rain fAnlly stopped. this is pic of my back yard. It was ankle deep. Oh well the ducks loved it. !!!
563645_10151771626472701_642515539_n.jpg

Wow -- great weather to be a duck! Saw on the radar map all the rain that a lot of you got. It often seems like we sit in between the rain bands. We saw a lot go west of us towards South Bend and a huge amount of rain go southeast of us. At least we got about an inch or so. We'll take whatever we can get at this point. Hopefully our pasture will start to grow again fast enough to get one more cutting of hay for the alpacas & rabbits over winter.

I think we finally have a fairly accurate idea of how many drakes are in our Ancona duck flock now. There are 5 with the curled tail feather and another we're fairly certain is a drake, although his curl isn't showing up much yet. The boys are definitely bigger than the girls. I read some comments that their legs should be thicker, too. When they hold still long enough for me to get a good look I think I can see that, too. Unless we discover more drakes, the current count is 6 drakes and 10 ducks. Which means that we have 3 drakes too many. Which means that now my son will have to decide which ones he will not keep. This could be a hard one because a number of his favorites are now drakes! If anyone is interested in an Ancona drake, let me know. Otherwise they'll be headed for the freezer.

Our broody young Cream Legbar hatched 3 beautiful fuzzy RIR babies last night at 20 days!
They're beautiful! Thanks go to VICKICHICKI!
I'll send pics as soon as I can. Hooray, Aretha! She did great work!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

Hopefully, she'll get back to the business of laying eggs now!

Last edited:
Barb S : i know a guy up around my way that has some iowa blues (i think he has 3 left) that he is looking to rehome to a good home - prob too far away tho as he's about 90+ minutes north of saginaw MI. If you are interested , send me a p.m. & ill contact him & send you phone # etc...... we got 2 nice deleware pullets from him recently - they are nice lookin birds

Additional... Looked into the tankless. Seems 50/50 on opinions for them. Depends on the house size, number of fixtures and people in the house being a big factor. Also whether your pressure tank can keep up with a good gpm for extended use.

If I wasnt all electric I would put in a tankless. We have one here at work and the hot water never runs out. It only calls for hot water when the water is turned on hot. Big money saver.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom