INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    No, I am a little disappointed over it. Seems he was working up to a proposal to marry my sis.
    They have been dating 3 weeks...She refused. I would have too, Oh my!
    Its ok, glad my sister didn't make a big mistake, she broke it off with him yesterday, way too fast and pushing for something permanent.
    She was married 37 years. needs to take it slow.

2. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

3. ellymayRans

ellymayRans Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks M2H! I would lurk when I could but what a busy busy summer!

4. ellymayRans

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New coop! This is once the walls were up roof on and nest boxes ready. I'll have to get pics of the outside. We used reclaimed barn wood and we love it. 9x9 for the LF. Now the bantys have their very own the old 3x4

5. ellymayRans

[​IMG]
    My beloved Big Boy! All of my Ooo 7 full grown roos are good boys but he is such a doll! Wish I had 10 more like him!
    [​IMG]
    One of his 7 girls.
    I also have a Blue Marans hen and Golden Cuckoo hen. They are lovely too..I really want to hatch some of these next go around.
    [​IMG]
    Ok I'm done. Promise! Lol

6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Please feel free to share more!! Love to see your babies!
    [​IMG] congrats! I love to expand!

7. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    The breeder selling the Heritage English BOs was afraid that her birds were so gentle that they would be picked on by other breeds. I thought that the Heritage RIRs were supposed to be much more gentle than the production birds. Maybe it is the production birds she is used to. I hadn't heard anything about BRs being rough at all. She suggested that, if I wanted different colors of birds, I should try an all-Orpington flock in all the Orpington colors. Interesting thought. I won't be looking for RIRs until spring, so they would be younger, giving the BOs an advantage.

8. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    I don't know if we will be able to go to the Nationals this year either. My husband isn't sure whether he has to work, and I can't drive.

You are going to have quite a flock come spring! Lots of different and interesting breeds! Who are you ordering from? You must have some land to spread out on. We live in Indianapolis, on almost an acre. My husband doesn't want more than 6 chickens and no roosters. We'll see how he feels once he gets used to them. He didn't like cats when we got married either, and now we have a whole clowder of them, and he is devoted to them!

I am going to buy one or two of the Heritage English Light Sussex pullets and two or three of the Heritage English Buff Orpingtons pullets this fall. Next spring I'll at least add Heritage RIRs and BRs. I'd like a really orange New Hampshire Red, too. Guess I want colored chickens more than colored eggs!

9. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Yes replace it anyway. The anode rod is sacrificial. This way it gets corroded before the metal in the tank does, since it's composition is a bit different then the tank's composition. Think of it like the anode and the cathode inside the water heater. There will always be some minimal amount of electricity flowing in water that has dissimilar metals submerged. The lower metal on the galvanic table will get consumed first, that is the job of the anode. There is some speculation whether or not to replace them in some situations, but it won't hurt and will only help. Sorta like the fallacy that cold wet weather will give you a cold. Not true, and has been disproven many times. People stay indoors and around each other more in colder weather, that is what spreads disease. Anyway, if you can change it yourself, I say spend the $60 or so and help you heater out or wait for the heater to leak and spend $1,000.

10. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Nice. You know the bantys are happy to get their own place!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by