INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Ok ok.. it was early... I did infact mean anode rod not ironide...pfft.. women.

Our water seems pretty harsh on the minerals so we were changing the rod quite often and at $30 a pop DH decided just to pull it out.
    The water does have a funky smell too it now, but no worse than needing to change the rod again. With the reg draining the heater was just as good as it was the day we got it.
    The hot water tends to get a black hue to it giving us the indication of when we need to clean it out. We don't really drink our water here and never have done. It is used for cooking and the usual brushing teeth etc but for consumption we use bottled. Rod or not, the water was too rough to drink. Difficult to get over the sulfer smell.

We don't mess with the emergency valve either. As for messing up the cute bedspread.. With working so much if one did explode I don't think anyone could tell the difference. Currently have the bomb has gone off in here look in my house.

2. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    :hit I am soooo proud... We did put two eggs in with our broodies, probably should have made a note of the date. If you end up changing your mind about them, I am sure I can take them back after my ones have hatched and grown a little. However if this is the case, I shall be brining MY car not the truck :gig Thanks so much for sharing!

3. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

I am sure people are completely oblivious to the spread of anything to the chicks in the 'farm' stores. How many times have you seen people buying the chicks just because but know in a few weeks they will be listed for free on CL because they are done with them.
    Back home (yerh here I go) we had the bad breakout of CJD (madcows). You could not go to any farms without wellingtons on and they had to be disinfected upon arrival and leaving. Nor any 'State' style parks as cows are wild in most parks. Same thing.. had to walk through disinfectant coming in and out.

I am surprised the farms stores do not implicate something like that. So I guess the risk is whether someone has been in there carrying Mereks and other such niceties and handling the little chicks before leaving etc.
    Get them off a breeder, they are more likely to have their own style bio going on, or at least have an idea about bio.

4. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

:lau I guess we do over use the U's a lot.

5. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    MORE PHOTOS, PLEASE!

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Some food for thought on Blue Kote. I've always wondered a bit about it and haven't used it much. There is a warning on it about using on animals for food, but no testing has been done for chickens. In the linked article, the author contacted the company about it's use on chickens and was told they haven't tested it for safety as they aren't required to. There are some concerns as the main ingredient is a known carcinogen.

Thought I'd at least put the link out so you read and draw your own conclusions.

1 person likes this.
  7. FarkerFarms

FarkerFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    I'm also thinking about honey bees next spring. I bought a couple of books and plan on reading up on them this winter. I'm going to try my hand at building a couple top bar hives this winter also. The only hesitation I have is that I have heard you don't get honey the first year. It has been hard enough waiting 4 months to get eggs from the chickens! I hate it when hard work doesn't pay off relatively quickly!

8. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Naturally. We'll PM you with progress. [​IMG]

Two of the chicks have brown stripes on their heads and chipmunk stripes on their backs. One chick has a Harry Potter spot on his head and no markings on his back. Here's their first photo shoot:
    [​IMG]
    They're complaining about their vaccines.

Here's a closeup of the gold one:
    [​IMG]
    Can he be ANY CUTER?!!!

Here's the bunch as they hang out with Mom:
    [​IMG]

Sharing a little fuzzy happiness to brighten your day.

9. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    They are soooo Cute !!!!

10. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Definitely thumbs up on the bees! We can use all the bees that folks are interested in raising. Honey is just a bonus for the family that puts in the work & expense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by