INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    This weird chicken egg is blue because it has a virus

By Jess Zimmerman
    [​IMG]Gmoose1
    Do you like blue eggs and ham and infectious diseases? Then you will love these blue eggs, which get their weird color from a harmless retrovirus.
    There are a few breeds of chicken that are known for their tendency to pop out the occasional blue egg – Araucanas in Chile and Dongxiang and Lushi chickens in China. (These breeds don’t show up often in the U.S., so you’re unlikely to find a blue egg at your local farmers market.) Among these particular chickens, there’s a high incidence of the EAV-HP retrovirus, a type of virus that slips its own manufactured DNA into the DNA of its hosts. EAV-HP inserts a gene called oocyan (which as far as I can tell literally means “blue egg”), which makes the eggshells absorb a pigment called biliverdin from the chicken’s uterus.
    [​IMG]Julian Berry
    EAV-HP isn’t harmful to humans, but frankly, “oh, the virus makes the egg absorb chicken uterus bile pigment, it’s perfectly safe,” doesn’t sound too appetizing to me. They look awfully pretty, though! Let’s get some Araucanas and have a labor-free Easter this year.
    Source

Jess Zimmerman is the editor of Grist List.

2. toodlesmom

Jul 1, 2013
    How exciting to have little chicks running around! And more to hatch, too! If you could grow out a pair of the German New Hampshire females for me, I'd be thrilled - and pay, of course! The only place I have to use as a brooder is a bathtub, because the bathroom is about the only place I could shut off from the cats. Starting them off in April would be great. We will be ready for them just when they are ready to move. Now I just need to track down Heirloom Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. Then, maybe an Australorp or a Marans or a Wyandotte. There are so many wonderful chickens out there!

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    That is a terrible article. People are already refusing blue and green eggs because they just seem weird. Now if they read the article, they'll refuse them because they are 'gross', and if they don't read the entire thing, they'll refuse them because 'oh my gosh, those eggs have a virus!' :rolleyes: I'm already reading reports of this happening among our fellow chicken keepers.

The truth is, virus or not, the color is in the shell only and doesn't affect the interior in any way. If you were to crack open a blue egg and a brown egg laid by hens from the same flock, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. What affects the quality of the egg is what the bird eats. If she is fed only crumbles and not allowed to forage, her eggs will likely not be as rich as those from a hen who is allowed to free-range. Yolk color is usually darker in birds that free-range as well, though that is not a great indicator of a bird's ranging time as one can do something such as feed marigolds to a cage-raised flock and get the same dark yolks as those of a free-ranging hen.

Interestingly enough, I have seen this with my own eyes (not the marigold effect, but the difference between a ranging hen and a hen eating nothing but crumbles). I have a rescued silver Sebright named Francine whose previous owner debeaked her and did it so badly that she has almost no upper mandible. She can eat nothing but crumbles because she can't pick anything up while free-ranging. I can tell which eggs she laid by cracking them open. Her yolks are much paler than the other Sebrights' and in general they don't seem as firm or taste as rich.

This is Frannie, by the way. She is understandably human shy, but I think she's just beautiful and she has a home here no matter what. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I have 2 with the blue gray down and at least one dark one. I posted the pictures on the CL thread. I just want the one dark one to be a girl.
    With the boys should I only breed the light colored down ones or is a dark one ok for breeding too?

Here are some pictures of my non-black sumatra, currently in need of a name.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    lovely

Such a nice contrast in color.

6. toodlesmom

Jul 1, 2013
    Greater love hath no mom than that she removeth broody poop bare-handed from her chicks!

7. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Hey, everyone. We now have 6 baby chicks! Looked at the other two and they were undeveloped. I'll take 6! They are too cute. There was only 1 black one. Hope it doesn't get picked on. Nice to have peeping again, but I'm missing it being in the house. It will be cool, though, to have chicks raised by moms.

1 person likes this.
  8. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:HA! When I post pics of them you will know why. They are so cute its ridiculous. So far 1 pure silver laced wyandotte, 2 bearded silkies with vaulted skulls; a blue and a white, and a pure black chick that is minorca x sl/w. I am so proud of my hen. She is so young and is such a good momma. she wont even leave her eggs to crap. lol. She lets me reach all over underneath her without too much fuss and has already show her babies how to eat from the feeder the is parked right in front of her for convenience lol. More updates later with pics. Still waiting on a few to hatch. 5 eggs left under her. We will see!!

9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if I want to use an incubator now. I haven't experienced anything quite like watching a momma hen with her chicks before. It really is something special.

2 people like this.
  10. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by