INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    That blue egg thing is very misleading. While there may have been something that caused the pigment to change way back in the genetics, there is NOT an active virus causing blue eggs.

Bad thing is that folks think they'll get a virus from a blue egg. Poorly written; poorly explained; needs to be qualified and re-stated by the magazine.

1 person likes this.
  2. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    if you can wait on yhe heritage barred rock I may have some chicks in a month. I have 2 dozen eggs coming this week. I can send you pictures of the breeding stock I got them from. I have a dozen from 2 different people

3. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Frannie looks so SWEET...I'm so happy you have given her a forever home. [​IMG]

4. pginsber

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    It really was very special! I agree.
    But, you can't play with them as much when they're with Mom, as if they were in the brooder. We talked and held ours quite a lot when they were inside. I do miss that!

5. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is a sneak peek. More to come when the hatch is done. Still a few pipped eggs under her. Just waiting. She doesn't mind me picking up the chicks so that's a plus. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I kind of want both. Once I start getting a decent number of eggs a day, the incubator can set more, but I'm not sure the bator's hatch rate will ever be as good as a broody's rate. There are different issues with a broody but I would not have to think twice about a child touching that ever sensitive temp knob, or the humidity, or the power, or the turner.
    My HRIR are supposed to go broody once in a while, but nothing like a silkie or sumatra. I have 3 Sumatra chicks that I will grow out and 1 sumatra roo from my last sumatra attempt. If I still don't have a hen, then I will break down and start looking for more local sumatra options, preferably chicks. But I have to say once they are hatched these sumatra chicks are very sturdy and seem to get up and go investigating the brooder area much faster than the other breeds I have hatched (PRIR, Mixed mutts, ducks, CL). It would not surprise me if the sumatra's were trying to escape in the next week or so. Something else a broody hen would take care of.

7. pginsber

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    We had no plans for hatching, and selected breeds with low broodiness.
    I couldn't find much info on Cream Legbars, so I moved forward hoping for no broodiness.
    Our CL layed for a month then went broody for two months.
    Guess she had the last laugh, didn't she?

8. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Question, there are still pipped eggs under her. She just pooped on the chicks and eggs again, so I quickly lifted her off so I could get it out of the nest. It took like 5 seconds max. She never pooped in the nest the whole time she was sitting. Now that 4 of nine have hatched she has done it twice. Does that mean she is ignoring the rest of the eggs under her? A couple of them have been pipped about all day long. I really hope 5 of them don't pip and quit. Does it take a long time for an egg to zip once it has pipped sometimes?

9. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Leave her to take care of it. She will know what to do. Quit disturbing her or she may leave them to die. She's not getting up because she knows she needs to stay with the babies and hatch. Poop won't hurt them.

If, for some reason, she leaves the nest for more than a few minutes and there are still live eggs working on hatching, you can try putting her back with the babies too. Or put the rest in an incubator.

Usually they WILL NOT leave the nest while there is a hatch in process unless someone takes their babies away.

Seriously. Leave her, her poop, her babies, and the hatching ones. She'll take care of it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Also - if there are chicks that are unhealthy she will know that too. They usually have enough sense to let the weak ones die so that they don't become a drag on the rest of the brood and possibly get them all killed with predators.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by