INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

Strssdmom : we got our first chicks ever on april 01 this year & DW & i often comment that we wonder why had never done this years ago.

1 person likes this.
  2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Pipd- I hope your neck feels better! I have done that before... So painful. As always your pics are great!

Kab- woooohoooooooo! Go baby chick!

Stressdmom- I'm sure your coop will be fine this winter. Most breeds are pretty cold hardy. I've never used a heat source. My first coop didn't even have a door that closed (the run was completely enclosed). As long as they can get out of the weather and wind they seem pretty happy.

3. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Wonderful news!
    Main thing is draft free. Most chickens will be fine as long as they are dry and free of drafts.
    I am so sorry, bet you will find homes for them pretty quick.
    Hope you feel better, Your babies are beautiful, think we have all enjoyed seeing them grow up [​IMG]
    I am actually thinking about white layers! My Sebright has a nice sized egg for her size and currently my only one.

5. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the well-wishes about my neck--it isn't 100% cured, but has gotten progressively better over the day. Hopefully, a good night's rest will get me back in shape. I never realized just how much I move my head around on a daily basis until today! :th The things we take for granted...

(Oops, I didn't hit quote. Bear with me here...)

Good to see Chance moving around! :celebrate I hope all is well from now on with the little guy.

Jchny, if you go for white layers, I have heard lots of good about Dorkings, though they may lay more tinted eggs. Also, I love my little Ancona, and my Exchequer Leghorn has become quite friendly. The rest of my white eggers are pretty shy. I don't know if that makes any difference to you. My light brown Leghorn has been quite the producer since she started laying and she is such eye candy, too. :lol:

In regards to worrying about chickens in the cold--don't. There are few breeds that will benefit from a heat source (the only one I can think of are Seramas and the jury's still out on them) and for the overwhelming majority, there are more downfalls to heating than there are to just leaving them to tough it out. What if you lose power? Your flock will be accustomed to the heat and might not be able to cope with the cold. What if the birds knock over the heat source, or if dust lands in just the right spot? What if a cord shorts out or frays? There goes your coop and all the birds in it. Chickens don't need a heat source.

As for insulation, well, that seems to go either way. I have never had an insulated coop and even my little Sebrights are fine. I've read about people in Canada with uninsulated coops and their birds are fine. Insulation, however, is less of a hazard than providing heat, so if it makes you feel better, then by all means, insulate your coop. You can also stack straw bales or even pile snow for some insulation over the winter.

6. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

here's a couple pics of one of our newest children :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were supposed to have gotten 2 Delaware pullets , but we're quite certain that this one is a silver penciled iowa blues - not that we're dissappointed that it isnt a Del . . . . actually pleasantly suprised & excited that it is.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  7. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks guys. It is such a relief to see Chance getting around. I know he is just a chick, but I have a tendency to put everything into these guys. I can't stand feeling like I can't fix it when there is a problem. I hate seeing them suffer, and I am completely incapable of putting them down. I know there will be times when things need to be "done", but for now I am happy that we had a positive outcome and will hope for the same result in the future. He is so happy with his brood, even with a band aid strip wrapped around his tiny legs. :)

(my quoting on here is not working well!)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] hoping chance fully recovers!
    those 3 ladies are the reason! I love how they look, and want more colors in my eggs [​IMG]
    Oh my she is a looker! I love the pattern in her feathers.

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Here's my BR pair, the tom places himself between us and his hen.
    She is so small compared to him! They are in my quarantine room.
    Thats a jumbo sized dog crate next to him on the right, large enough for my former old english mastiff.
    Sorry pic is awful, my cell phone is old [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    M2H: WOW, that's a steal! Oh my!!! [​IMG] they are very nice looking hens!

jchny~ I decided to restrain myself although I did talk to the owner on the phone. She welcomed me to come over and look, but said someone else was also interested. I told her that if that person didn't work out to let me know. The main problem was logistics. We don't have a truck to move the coop, DD (Meredith) was coming home for the weekend and DS is moving this weekend. Too much to deal with. I told myself that it would be better to wait until spring and raise chicks. Those Sizzles were adorable! It was difficult to convince myself that now was not a good time.

It's great to see a photo of your B-day couple-- the very handsome and debonair BR tom turkey shielding his shy BR hen-friend! [​IMG]
    strssedmom~ I'm opening up a can of worms, but I provided heat to my five hens last winter and plan to do so again. [​IMG] They loved it. I know the risks and am as careful as possible.
    I can relate to having little grass in the fenced in part of our yard! DH even put sod in last spring when the area was totally bare! And he made two grazing frames. At least I take the hens out beyond the fence for a field trip everyday no matter the weather. You are lucky to be moving to "greener pastures." You brought back a memory mentioning persimmons~ we had a tree at our home where I grew up. I can just imagine your chickens' football games!
    Leahs Mom~ Those rooster videos were hilarious! That second rooster looked so mean, but the chickens in the background kept on scratching and pecking like they were used to it.
    pipd~ Hope your sore neck improves! Yikes! [​IMG] And don't strain yourself taking photos, although we enjoy them. [​IMG]
    AATH~ Sorry to hear about you having to find home for your chickens. Best wishes to you in your move! [​IMG]Hope we see you in the future.
    racinchickins~ Enjoyed the photos your mom took of your flocks! They looked like a wild bird sanctuary. Very Picturesque.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by