INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    IAMFIVEWIRE - What a gorgeous bird! Love the patterning in the feathers and the little tiara of a comb!

JCHNY2000 - Handsome turkey! Beautiful feathering! And such tender eyes! How old is he?

AATH - Sorry your chickens have to move on. Good luck finding good homes for them! You might want to post them in Eastside Chickens on Facebook. It covers East Indianapolis and Marion county where there are quite a few coops. I can do it for you, if you wish. Just PM me.

RACINCHICKINS - Your birds are lovely! The varied patterns of the turkey feathers are so pretty and interesting. Your mom took some great pictures. It looked like a National Geographic safari!

VICKICHICKI - Love the beautiful red of your chickens! Hope you get your vacation break. It is hard to get away when you own your own business. I think it is good though, for little ones to grow up helping in their parents own business.

BRADSELIG - Your Tolbunt Polish almost make me question the entire direction I was planning my flock in. They are such beautiful birds!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    LEAH'S MOM - Your chicken pen set-up is really handy. It must be a breeze to handle your flock. Love the pictures of your moms and babies. I always love to see hens and chicks together.

JCHNY2000 - Your plan for a meet-up at Liberty, IN sounds great! It would be a nice day or weekend for everyone's family, too.

May I suggest that we also have a meet-up at one of the bigger poultry shows. It would be nice to have someone more knowledgable tell us newbies what the judges are looking for and why points were given or taken away. Also, some wisdom from friends would be helpful if we want to buy birds. We could choose a fall or spring show when the weather would be good and plan for a picnic on the grounds, or choose a winter one and go out for lunch together. It would would be a briefer meet-up than the all-day ones in the summer.

1 person likes this.
  3. Delawaremommy

Delawaremommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Before I start reading through all the posts on here I have to say this:
    Okay, for everyone that is following my chickens progress besides me (that is probably no one!) I got the first egg today!!!!! Yeah!!! It was Esther that did it and even my brother (who lives next door) laughed as all four girls hollered their egg song and he could hear it with the windows shut! I am so proud of them and the fact that I haven't screwed them up so bad that they wouldn't lay with all my novice chicken learning!!! Pics to follow! It is small but well formed and a beautiful color of pale brown! Haven't opened it so don't know if it has all the regular egg parts but to Esther my baby I say great first effort pretty girl!

I know.....shut up Connie.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ps....I might be a LITTLE excited!

2 people like this.
  4. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

There are so many pretty pictures of chickens and chicks this weekend!! Leahs Mom, your set up is great!! M2H, Brad, pipd, pretty chickies!! CCCCCCCCHICKENS I think I would have trouble sleeping if I woke up to that!

Thanks all for your help during our hatch! You guys are really patient and great. I have been an annoying nervous wreck all week, and you guys put up with me. Thanks again. We are getting ready for round 2 this week. I hope all of the knowledge you guys have given me will make this time go a bit smoother. [​IMG] I went out and temporarily divided the silkie coop for the chicks. I was thinking they might fall out the main door that the rest of the chickens use to go out to the run, if I didn't secure them somehow. Snow seems pretty comfortable in her new digs. I put her food and water in the nesting boxes so she doesn't spill them. DH built the nesting boxes into the door, so I think the babies would have fallen out if they had hatched there. So she got moved to the floor. Fortunately she took right to it.

Here she is waiting patiently...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. kabhyper1

It is exciting! I loved finding a different colored egg each time one of our hens started laying. It is a full flock production when one hen lays! Even our roosters start honking when the hens sing. It is very loud here a few times a day! I hope your girls keep laying nicely for you before the cold weather gets here.

6. Delawaremommy

May 11, 2013
    I only had four and the smell wasn't too bad...but the weather changed every time I thought I could move them out. Finally got them outside at 7 weeks and they loved it.

Very handsome roo!!

Plastic sheetin is what I plan to use on the prevailing wind side of the coop and run and stacked straw bales which are dual purpose as I use the straw to cut the dog mud also.

They are adorable...I really like the little Minorca x......

I have spent the whole summer wondering that exact same thing.

Definitely not a Delaware! But a beautiful Iowa Blue.

Delawares are good winter layers so I don't know for sure that they will stop completely until they molt next fall. Then I will be shocked. The noise was funny. Also the fact that she had dug out a perfect round nest and the little egg was sitting right smack in the middle! Cute!!!!

7. Delawaremommy

May 11, 2013
    Here are some bad pictures of my good birds!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one was taken at dusk so it's not great but you can see Gertrudes curled toes!!!

8. amwchickin

amwchickin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Dubois County, IN
    Well, after 4 days of not being on here I expected WAY more than what I had to read through. Overall it sounds like everyone is doing good except for a couple lost chickens and some neck pain. (hope everyone is doing better today! And I really have to say I am jealous of all the baby chicks. I really wish I could get a broody!!

My brother got married on Friday in the Brown County state park amphitheater. It was such a gorgeous day!! there were twinkling lights everywhere and we sent them off with sparklers. I will post a couple pics when I recuperate! They wanted cupcakes and I have done a few weddings, so I baked and decorated 140 cupcakes and a cake for them to cut into. Thursday and Friday were very LONG days.

My sick chickens seem to be slowly getting better. A couple still have some puffy eyes and several are still hacking. I went through a whole bag of Corrid and a bottle of VetRx. I ended up treating all 24 birds because it just seemed to be spreading fast. Should I continue medicating or give them a break from the meds? or try something different? With it getting cooler I am afraid they're just going to stay sick.

Also, after the water is clear of medication, how long before eggs are okay to eat again? Luckily they really haven't laid anything, might get an egg every other day, so I haven't had to throw many out.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend and enjoying this nice weather! Any replies on the med info would be great!! [​IMG]

9. kabhyper1

It's such a pretty day!! [​IMG] After baby proofing the Silkie coop, and a few other things, I went out and took some updated pics of the coops. I wish it would stay like this outside, but It's Indiana and we all know that won't happen. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I would enjoy another get together.
    Might be fun to have a nice size chicken trade too. I know some chickens went to new homes at the last meet. We don't have the acreage here or I would invite you to have the meet here. Plus we are close to Patrick so it would not help the north side of the state.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by