INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I went out tonight and opened the silkie coop. Ashes wasn't sleeping, she was standing looking lost. I put her on the side of the coop with Snow and her eggs. She nestled down about six inches from Snow and puffed up. Snow didn't seem to care. I had a flashlight on so they could see each other. I will check on them in the morning and see how they are. If she stays broody all day tomorrow, and is showing no signs of quitting I may try to put a few eggs under her. They are due to hatch this week, like thursday, so if that isn't enough time for her to sit on them and hatch them if she stays broody, then I will try to break her broodiness. I just thought I would take advantage of an extra broody with that many eggs about to hatch under one hen if it was possible. Also I just divided the coop today and Snow has gotten up every morning with the rest of the flock to dust bathe and eat, so they are used to each other.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

3. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I will watch them tomorrow and feel it out. Being silkies, there isn't usually a lot of aggression anyway. They are buddies outside of broody times and there is quite a bit of space in there, so we shall see. lol I would love it if they would share parenting duties. 14 eggs is a lot! Snow barely covers them, but they are always equally warm somehow when she gets up to eat. She isn't aggressive with me picking her up off the nest, or cleaning the coop. So I hope that says something for her character. Do you have any concerns about her hatching eggs that she would only be sitting on a few days rather than 3 weeks? Would she be ready?

1 person likes this.
  4. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Someone finally responded to my'bantam cochins wanted'advert on CL. Asked them for a picture of their bantam Cochin rooster.... Here is what they are offering.

[​IMG]

Going to mail them back in the morning with the news that his guy is most certainly not a Cochin.

5. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Almost looks like a golden seabright mix, our maybe a bad quality seabright, any suggestions?

6. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Yea definitely not a Cochin! Lol. There is this guy about 15 mins from me. Not sure if your going to be in the area anytime soon, but I could possibly hold onto. Him for you until you do.
    http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/grd/4120036657.html

7. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    toodlesmom posted: M2H - Nice youtube flick of your orps. Their motion is especially interesting when slowed down. Now I want a Jubilee of my own!

toodlesmom posted: bradselig - Your Tolbunt Polish almost make me question the entire direction I was planning my flock in. They are such beautiful birds!

I think I see a pattern developing, toodlesmom! Or an disorder festering. It's called Chicken Math.
    Kiniska~ That is terrible about your inept chicken sitter! Did you find your hen? Is it one of your English Blue Orps?
    Delawaremommy~ Congrats to you and Esther on her first egg! And the choir sang the Egg Song. [​IMG] Your Delawares are so pretty.

amwchickin posted: Well, after 4 days of not being on here I expected WAY more than what I had to read through.
    amwchickin~ I'm guessing that the beautiful weather has been keeping people away from their computers and out with their flocks where they should be. [​IMG]
    If you can bake/decorate 140 cupcakes for your brother's wedding, you can handle the same order for our next Indiana BYCers Poultry Party. Haha
    CHICKEN RESPIRATORY ILLNESS INFO
    As far as your sick chickens, I think others have posted info, and perhaps this one, but I just ran across this article:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/123652/in-length-article-re-chicken-colds
    kabhyper~ You have such a picturesque coop! And a mother hen and chicks! And a broody hen! I'm jealous! [​IMG] Keep uploading those mother hen and babies videos please.
    CCCHICKENS~ I'm not a big fan of spiders, but I realize most of them are beneficial. The other day I turned around and caught my eye on a beautiful, large web with an interesting looking large spider. It reminded me of Charlotte's Web. Just as I started to admire it, my crazy RIR, Nene, marched up and snagged that spider right out of its web and gobbled in down! I was stunned because it happened so fast and ended so fast for poor Charlotte. [​IMG]
    vickichicki~ Make sure to set that chicken salesperson straight! Luckily, bradselig is to the rescue! He's never met a chicken he hasn't raised.

1 person likes this.
  8. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. HappyHappyHappy

HappyHappyHappy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    hour North of Indy
    This is going to be an awesome week. I am so stoked.. Wed-Thursday my mutts should hatch under my broody, then the Lebanon show Saturday. Awesome I cant wait. My 10 year old son is even showing a lot of excitement for the events of the week to come. My Jersey giant also just went Broody thinking i will wait and see if there are hatching eggs for sale at the Lebanon show to put under her.
    I have never been to a chicken show before, I hear you can buy chickens there. Can someone give me a bit of an overview of how the whole thing goes. Will there be a lot of chickens/chicks/hatching eggs for sale??? I so hope so.. Will there be H-Barred Rocks, BLRW, and the Polish Tolbunt chickens there do you think?? What Time of day do things happen at the show and when is the best time to get there?

10. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    UGH, I am so sorry! Hope you find your missing hen.
    I will only trust my oldest DD (she is 31) or I won't/can't go anywhere.
    There is a horrible attitude about pets (and livestock) I see developing in our children.
    They are NOT disposable!
    All living things deserve good treatment and respect from the owners.
    If you have a dog, or cat, its yours. You don't throw it away if it accidentally pees on your rug.
    DH caught a woman and 2 kids dumping 2 cats by our barn!
    That parent, oh my [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]He had a report done with the PD,
    Had I been out there... U can bet I would not have been pleasant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by