INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

THe other reason why i think that the EE rooster is the father of that chick is because it is yellow.. my other rooster is a Barred Rock so i assume all chicks would come out either black or barred??

Also, since the peeping started this morning, I now have 4 hens that decide they want to go broody ..I may have set a bad example here they are trying to set up a mommy's Club on me. One of the other black ones ( Jersey Giant Or Astralorp unsure) has been broody for about a week now. I cant stop her so i am going to give her some eggs Sunday... I hope i find some at the show. Please be hatching egs at the show
fl.gif
The Others i am going to have to try and discourage from broodiness. cant have all my nesting boxes full of broodies.. Eggs have to be laid somewhere because I like Breakfast..

Jeez this is bad.. Before i know it I am going to have 200 acres of chicken coops.

Last edited:
Kabhyper - I feel as if I have lost a chick of my own after following right along with you and mama hen through pre-natal jitters, birth questions and post-partum worries. So sorry for your little white silky and so glad the two blue ones are doing well.

Racinchickins - I'm sorry for your dark brahma. What a sad way to go.

Julie0477 - Too bad about your stubborn little ducks. Theirs should be a cautionary tale repeated to other naughty poultry.

THe other reason why i think that the EE rooster is the father of that chick is because it is yellow.. my other rooster is a Barred Rock so i assume all chicks would come out either black or barred??

Also, since the peeping started this morning, I now have 4 hens that decide they want to go broody ..I may have set a bad example here they are trying to set up a mommy's Club on me. One of the other black ones ( Jersey Giant Or Astralorp unsure) has been broody for about a week now. I cant stop her so i am going to give her some eggs Sunday... I hope i find some at the show. Please be hatching egs at the show
fl.gif
The Others i am going to have to try and discourage from broodiness. cant have all my nesting boxes full of broodies.. Eggs have to be laid somewhere because I like Breakfast..

Jeez this is bad.. Before i know it I am going to have 200 acres of chicken coops.
Congrats on the hatch. Looks like you have the mommy's club now, the other girls want to get in on the action lol. Chicken math even strikes the girls!

I so did not know that the facial hair got plucked off a chicken.  My chickens would not be able to keep clean for 3 days, they would purposely roll in the mud, they love it so much.

I'm looking forward to seeing your birds. 

would it be possible to bring their hen in to them or do you think she would reject them?

Another thing, I think you said it was about 80 in their brooder area.  Newer chicks tend to like 88 upwards to 95 the first few days.  They will peep non stop if they are cold.  Meaties like it closer to 80 by the end of their first week though.

nit all breeds have little stubbles on their faces. My oegbs do. Trust me my birds are not tht great but i wanted to enter something and make them look the best i can. they are bot what i was hoiping to enter. nut you get what you get

Quote: I'm sure they are tiny. I hatched my first Sumatra chick earlier this summer with a few prod reds. It was promptly named tiny. At the time I thought how cute a little tiny runt. Now after trying my second round of sumatra eggs, I have found out that the sumatra chicks are all smaller than production reds and they stay smaller for quite a while. Then around week 10-13 the size difference is not quite as noticable that or i have gotten used to it.
My CL are smaller chicks too.
I can only imagine how small a silkie chick would be, it would have to be smaller than tiny the sumatra.

My ducks weren't sick they were just stubborn
sad.png
. All my birds free range during the day and I coop them at night. The ducks had a crate next to the coop. The past two weeks they have NOT wanted to go in. I chased them around every night and could get them in most of the time. Sunday night I went out and they were no where near the coop. They were off where I feed them and were not going back. So I gave up and the next morning woke up to a pile of feathers and no ducks
sad.png
. When I got the ducks I assumed their instincts would be like a chickens to go in at night but that's not necessarily the case. I miss them and want more but I need a new set up to keep them safe. And me sane.
right now our ducks have a small redneck corner of the growout run. It is the largest area that has a net over it. I'm waiting to see if they attempt to fly before letting them out of the covered area. Next spring I might think of making a covered duck run but they are space lovers and I don't want to cover a large part of my front yard for them. Even if the front yard has some nice low spots that fill with water during the spring rains.

Does the door fit your biggest chickens OK? I was told to make 14" x 18" nesting boxes for the BOs I'm getting. Will these fluffy butts fit through the door?

I have the Ador1 chicken door. It is pretty fantastic! I don't have any BOs so I am not sure how large they are, but I have some pretty large Barred Rocks and they fit through just fine. I love that it runs off a lantern battery so I don't have to worry about power outages. I also like that the light sensor is based off of a 5 minute average light level, that means if headlights or flashlight beams hit the sensor for a second the door won't fly open. I haven't had any issues with chickens getting locked out and I left it on the factory settings. I haven't used the 'last call' feature, I haven't needed to. It is pretty dark by the time it closes and my ladies have always been "in bed" at least 30 minutes prior to the door shutting. I did have to wait 2.5 weeks before I got it, that was a bit annoying since I sure got charged for it right away (isn't that how it always works). It was also really easy to install. Two thumbs up for the Ador1!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom