INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Update on my Brahma hen.  When my partner got home last night, he went down to the basement to see her, and watched her both eating and drinking!  So we have decided to wait a bit more before making a decision.  She still can't see, but if she is at least eating and drinking, she will hopefully have time to heal up.  Maybe if the swelling goes down, she will be able to open her eyes.  

I'm really hoping she recovers. :fl   
I hope so! That would be a great ending to this lil story.

I don't have any advice for the show, not having any real experience with them. I'm actually looking forward to some replies, as I am wondering the same things.

I am planning to be there, and I believe so are quite a few others on this thread. I'm bringing a carrier (just in case, of course. I don't have any plans for buying anything specific, but you never know when chicken math will strike)

I'm watching for the replies as well. I'm bringing boxes to cart any new birds back to the house.

I have an injured pullet. I think she is getting worse and she was so close to laying an egg. Tonight or tomorrow will be the bad night for her if no improvement by then.

Last edited:
I was at the Boone County Fair this summer and saw a cage with a JBG hen and a for sale note on it with cell #. I imagine if tastefully done, there wouldn't be any objection, who knows? Ask for forgiveness, not permission.

I have never shown anything, so I don't know the rules.

I will be practicing "safe viewing" by changing clothes and showering after the show and before tending to my flock.

There are several members of this thread who have shown birds who will be able to answer your specific questions.

John

Last edited:
I looked it up.

Central Indiana Poultry Show

Schedule for the Show Building
Friday, October 18, 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM for cooping in.

Saturday, October 19, show buildings will open at 6:30 AM.

Judging begins 9:00 AM till done.

Silent Auction, Sat, October 19, 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Sales coops are $3.00each.
Outside sales permit is $5.00

This sounds like they control selling and collect a fee for doing so.

http://ibccn.org/poultry/documents/Show Catalog 2013.pdf

Don't look for me at 6:30 -- 10:00 maybe, if I get an early start.

John

Last edited:
0.jpg

I have not been back to the coop. This video is from 4:00 pm yesterday... I had to leave for work and just got home. I will be peeking first thing in the morning and ill try and get a better video.. In this video I only was able to get the one chick, the black one was under momma.
She is very protective of them and bites me if i stick my hand in there. So far so good the rest of the chickens dont seem to care. I am glad So far that i didnt seperate them so that they will be part of the flock from day one. I hope this does not come back to haunt me as I was worried that the barred rocks would give her and the chicks some problems but i sat in the coop for a couple hours and observed them come in, lay eggs, peek in at momma,and then back out to the run they went one by one all morning long..
I do wander now if the mother hen is the Black Astralorp or one of the Jersey Giants, I cant tell them apart anymore. They are all just big and black. I assume that the father of that chick is my EE rooster and the mother is one of the ISA reds......The chick looks just like my EE rooster did when he was a chick...
Happy~ She looks like she would bite! Thanks for sharing your video. Is she young? -- because she doesn't have much of a comb. My Black Jersey Giant has a large comb. I found this info on feathersite: The Australorp was developed, not surprisingly, in Australia from Orpington stock. It is noted for its egg production, and although smaller than the Orpingtons (Australorp cocks weigh about 8 1/2 pounds compared to an Orpington's 10 pounds) they still carry a fair amount of meat. Their skin is white. They are active birds that lay tinted eggs. With a greenish sheen to their black plumage, a flock of 'Lorps looks quite lovely on the lawn on sunny days.
Australorps differ from Black Jersey Giants in that the legs of the Jersey Giant are black (some tending toward willow) and the underparts of the feet are yellow. In Lorps, the legs are black, shading to dark slate in adults, but the underparts of the feet are pinkish white. This works with good show stock, but hatchery stock is more variable and you can't ever be sure unless the birds grow to the size of Giants.

Sally - what happened to injure her?

I'm not entirely sure. I'm thinking it looks like a rooster injury that has either sprained her leg but maybe even caused some spinal damage. The only problem is that I have not seen any of my red roos try to mount anything. There is the small mixed roo but he was about the size of the hen so it is hard for me to imagine him having the ability to squash my 16.5 week old rather large hen to the ground so forcefully that he hurt her. The mixed mutt does like to attempt to mate, I have not seen him succeed since the barnyard mixed hens are as big as him and they will try to peck / bite him if he gets near them.

Back
Top Bottom