INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I hope so! That would be a great ending to this lil story.

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I'm watching for the replies as well. I'm bringing boxes to cart any new birds back to the house.

I have an injured pullet. I think she is getting worse and she was so close to laying an egg. Tonight or tomorrow will be the bad night for her if no improvement by then.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Sally - what happened to injure her?

4. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I was at the Boone County Fair this summer and saw a cage with a JBG hen and a for sale note on it with cell #. I imagine if tastefully done, there wouldn't be any objection, who knows? Ask for forgiveness, not permission.

I have never shown anything, so I don't know the rules.

I will be practicing "safe viewing" by changing clothes and showering after the show and before tending to my flock.

There are several members of this thread who have shown birds who will be able to answer your specific questions.

John

5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I looked it up.

Central Indiana Poultry Show

Schedule for the Show Building
    Friday, October 18, 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM for cooping in.

Saturday, October 19, show buildings will open at 6:30 AM.

Judging begins 9:00 AM till done.

Silent Auction, Sat, October 19, 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Sales coops are $3.00each.
    Outside sales permit is $5.00

This sounds like they control selling and collect a fee for doing so.

http://ibccn.org/poultry/documents/Show Catalog 2013.pdf

Don't look for me at 6:30 -- 10:00 maybe, if I get an early start.

John

6. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Yup... I signed up for a "sales coop" ... I just have no idea what exactly I signed up for.

Best - exop

7. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Happy~ She looks like she would bite! Thanks for sharing your video. Is she young? -- because she doesn't have much of a comb. My Black Jersey Giant has a large comb. I found this info on feathersite: The Australorp was developed, not surprisingly, in Australia from Orpington stock. It is noted for its egg production, and although smaller than the Orpingtons (Australorp cocks weigh about 8 1/2 pounds compared to an Orpington's 10 pounds) they still carry a fair amount of meat. Their skin is white. They are active birds that lay tinted eggs. With a greenish sheen to their black plumage, a flock of 'Lorps looks quite lovely on the lawn on sunny days.
    Australorps differ from Black Jersey Giants in that the legs of the Jersey Giant are black (some tending toward willow) and the underparts of the feet are yellow. In Lorps, the legs are black, shading to dark slate in adults, but the underparts of the feet are pinkish white. This works with good show stock, but hatchery stock is more variable and you can't ever be sure unless the birds grow to the size of Giants.

8. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Aww! They are so fun to watch aren't they!

9. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I'm not entirely sure. I'm thinking it looks like a rooster injury that has either sprained her leg but maybe even caused some spinal damage. The only problem is that I have not seen any of my red roos try to mount anything. There is the small mixed roo but he was about the size of the hen so it is hard for me to imagine him having the ability to squash my 16.5 week old rather large hen to the ground so forcefully that he hurt her. The mixed mutt does like to attempt to mate, I have not seen him succeed since the barnyard mixed hens are as big as him and they will try to peck / bite him if he gets near them.

10. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chance, and the little blue that still needs a name. Feeling much better! They spent some time under my hair today. They are so cute.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by