INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. HappyHappyHappy

HappyHappyHappy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    hour North of Indy

1 person likes this.
  2. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    [​IMG]

3. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Great! Thanks! Sounds like the door for me!

4. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Well, I won't have to be worrying about chicken math this weekend, but rabbit math is probably going to strike my daughter & possibly my son. We're headed out to Harrisburg, PA for the ARBA (Amer. Rabbit Breeders Assoc.) National Convention. Both of the kids are on the youth Indiana Teams for the Breed ID and Judging competitions. We'll have to decide how many empty carriers we take with us, which will limit the rabbit math that can take place! We're also hoping to work in a trip to the Hershey Chocolate Factory and also to Gettysburg (thank goodness the government shutdown is over since this is a National memorial site which had been closed down.) Hope we'll also see some pretty fall foliage on the trip!

5. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    It's so much fun to see and read about all of the mothers and babies! I love the peepings of the chicks and the reassuring sounds of their moms. This is how life should be for everyone - instead of suffering through war or life as a refugee - enjoying the simple beginnings of life. We often give chicks through Heifer International (Heifer.org) as Christmas gifts. The person you give the gift to gets a nice card explaining that, in his name, a third-world family received a flock of chicks (or ducks, a pair of rabbits, a goat, lambs, a calf, a hive of bees - whatever you choose to fund) and instruction on raising them. Once their flock is well-developed enough, they are expected to give another family a start from their flock, and so on. It's truly a gift that keeps on giving! You could help start a BYC on the other side of the world!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    3 people like this.
  6. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    He looks like a RAIN to me...

7. pginsber

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    VICKICHICKI: any news? PICTURES perhaps??

8. pginsber

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    We use the Adordor door with the light sensor extension and have it installed on the inside of the coop. I've had to program it for last call, open early, close late, blah, blah, blah you name it. Our chicks had no idea they were supposed to go in at night, and seemed to prefer piling up outside of the closed door. UGH!
    Anyway, all this to say the instructions that come with it are definitely written by an engineer, and if you need help with some 'translation' to common speak, I'm glad to help.

1 person likes this.
  9. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I'd like to know if anyone on the thread has solar experience.

I'd like to run my already-installed automatic door with solar rather than electricity if possible. I don't know a lot about it, but I think I need to have a panel, inverter, and battery. Just don't know what kind of each of those I'd need and where to get them. It would have to run the timer clock at the right speed 24 hrs.; door motor 2-3 times a day for about 3 minutes at a time.

Anyone have that kind of experience? [​IMG]

If I get that solved, the next thing I'd like to do is run Three 50 watt bowl heaters throughout the winter off solar it it's not cost prohibitive to get the equipment.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  10. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    It sounds like a great project and a way to save money hopefully. I wish I could help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by