INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

If any bird can manage to hatch that many eggs it would be a silky.
That eases my mind a bit. She has been a good broody.It's her first time. Overachiever. lol I was worried about the outside temp. She is in thick hay deep inside the coop. I have never had chickens until this year, let alone broodies. It's exciting and scary all at the same time. I was told to take the ones that hatch out and leave the unhatched in with her. I would rather not, but I don't want them to die from exposure either.

21 heritage barred rock eggs in the incubator for a week now. Not a single one has veining! I have other eggs in there, bantam Cochins that go into lockdown next week and showgirl eggs that have only been in there for a few days. The Cochins are still doing great and can see movement in the shell. The others are too soon to tell. I would have thought if it was my incubator then the Cochins would be dead too. I have 5 thermometers in the incubator and all read 99 (only measure whole numbers) to 100.4F. I'm wondering if the USPS did something to them? Both were shipped the same time, one from Georgia the other from Tennessee, both arrived same day, and both put into incubator at the same time. Very frustrating.

I have had horrible luck with shipped eggs and then average luck with other shipped eggs. Over all I blame the PO before I blame the incubator or the fertility of the eggs.
If the eggs were sent priority the sell should have up to $50 insurance coverage on them included in the price he paid to ship. If so he might be willng to ship more eggs to you and file a claim against the PO for damages.

To all going to the poultry show this weekend : enjoy
We went to one (first time ever) last weekend north of Flint, MI - saw alot of breeds id never seen except for pictures & a few that were hoping to see that werent any there. Wr also got an evaluation on our chanticler from the experts - at least the best they could tell by seeing a few cell phone pictures
iamfivewire~ Is the pic your avatar a young Chanticler (breed) cockerel? The roosters are gorgeous. I was curious and googled and learned something new when a similar word popped up: A male chicken is commonly called a Rooster, Cock or Chanticleer. The scientific name is: (Gallus Gallus Domestics). I've known that Chanticleer is a popular name used in businesses and it had to do with a rooster, but I've assumed Chanticleer was a breed.
HappyHappyHappy~ Thanks for sharing your mama hen/chicks video! Your black chicks looked solid from what I could tell by viewing the video, so I looked up BJG chicks and BA chicks, and they look very similar with black and yellow combinations. I am no expert, but I am intrigued to find out what breed your hen and chicks are.
Black Australorp chicks
Black Jersey Giant chick
Originally Posted by toodlesmom
It's so much fun to see and read about all of the mothers and babies! I love the peepings of the chicks and the reassuring sounds of their moms. This is how life should be for everyone - instead of suffering through war or life as a refugee - enjoying the simple beginnings of life. We often give chicks through Heifer International (Heifer.org) as Christmas gifts. The person you give the gift to gets a nice card explaining that, in his name, a third-world family received a flock of chicks (or ducks, a pair of rabbits, a goat, lambs, a calf, a hive of bees - whatever you choose to fund) and instruction on raising them. Once their flock is well-developed enough, they are expected to give another family a start from their flock, and so on. It's truly a gift that keeps on giving! You could help start a BYC on the other side of the world!
toodlesmom~ I've used Heifer.org for gifts. It's nice because there are all price ranges from giving a flock of chickens for $20 to giving a heifer for $500. It is a great, reputable program.
Originally Posted by browncow15
So I went out to do chores this morning and there's blood in the baby's pen
sad.png
and I don't know where it's from. No one seems injured but it might be from poo? Ugh! I figured by almost 6 weeks I wouldn't have to worry about cocci
sad.png
any ideas?
My first thought was an injury. My "Chicken Health for Dummies" book says, Sign of Illness: "bloody droppings, more common in warm weather" Disease: Coccidiosis Age typically affected: 3-5 weeks Other signs of Cocci: Chicks are pale and droopy, with rugged feathers and no appetite. They pass bloody or watery diarrhea. They may walk back and forth to the feeder, crying pitifully, but not eating. Chicks that survive longer than a week are on the road to recovery. Amprolium or sulfa drugs effectively treat coccidiosis outbreaks. Be careful when administering sulfa drugs-- they can easily overdose, so make sure to follow label directions.

My buff orp that went broody has four eggs behind the house. She chose a spot right next to the walk out basement door behind a board. Hidden but not confined. I moved her last night to the little tractor that my silkie successfully hatched in a couple of months ago-much safer spot! I did it at night and thought, hoped, she'd accept the new place like the silkie did. Well, this morning she shot out of that thing. From what I can tell she spent the night in the coop part of the tractor but didn't scoot all the eggs under her. Well, I just let her go back to her spot by the door and put the eggs back. I'm wondering though if they got too cold for too long to hatch. We'll see.

Yikes! I've had a full week and found myself about fifty pages behind. I only read for the last couple of days; the entire week seemed a bit overwhelming.

Kab and Julie, I'm sorry for your losses. Racin, glad to hear that your hen seems to be improving.

I plan to be at the Lebanon show on Saturday. I signed up for outside sales in addition to my show birds, but not sure whether I have anything worthwhile to sell this time. Sold the last of my Appenzeller youngsters at Lucasville a couple of weeks ago before I even got them out of the truck; may have a silkie or two and a 4-month old peacock. Anyhow, look me up if you're there, always glad to put names and faces together. My truck is a red Dodge Ram with a camper shell.

Kel - That mamma will constantly have those eggs moving and rotating position under herself. They move and turn them quite a bit so they are likely all getting a good heat covering as she does that.

My buff orp that went broody has four eggs behind the house. She chose a spot right next to the walk out basement door behind a board. Hidden but not confined. I moved her last night to the little tractor that my silkie successfully hatched in a couple of months ago-much safer spot! I did it at night and thought, hoped, she'd accept the new place like the silkie did. Well, this morning she shot out of that thing. From what I can tell she spent the night in the coop part of the tractor but didn't scoot all the eggs under her. Well, I just let her go back to her spot by the door and put the eggs back. I'm wondering though if they got too cold for too long to hatch. We'll see.

can you build a more confined area around her? Maybe just a temporary thing of plywood, like a giant box with a window / door to shut at night.

Last edited:
Ugh that stinks.  They do shed their lining in their poo at that age, and it looks kind of like blood, but it wouldn't be a lot.  Just a little pink something or other in the poo.  Is there a lot of blood or just a little?

Six weeks isn't too old for cocci.  Depends on what age they were when they were exposed to the chicken yard (or the cocci).  Also, are they or have they ever been on medicated feed?

Hopefully someone just got scratched or something!

It wasn't a ton of blood enough to notice though. They've been in the coop with everyone else since I brought them home just separated by a wall. The big girls have been able to see them through chicken wire when I let them out to free range for the last week and a half. This group has never been on medicated feed.

[/COLOR]
[rule]Originally Posted by browncow15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I went out to do chores this morning and there's blood in the baby's pen :(  and I don't know where it's from. No one seems injured but it might be from poo? Ugh! I figured by almost 6 weeks I wouldn't have to worry about cocci :(  any ideas?
[COLOR=8B4513]My first thought was an injury. My "Chicken Health for Dummies" book says, Sign of Illness: "bloody droppings, more common in warm weather"  Disease: Coccidiosis  Age typically affected: 3-5 weeks  Other signs of Cocci: Chicks are pale and droopy, with rugged feathers and no appetite. They pass bloody or watery diarrhea. They may walk back and forth to the feeder, crying pitifully, but not eating. Chicks that survive longer than a week are on the road to recovery. Amprolium or sulfa drugs effectively treat coccidiosis outbreaks. Be careful when administering sulfa drugs-- they can easily overdose, so make sure to follow label directions.[/COLOR]
Thanks M2H they acted fine this morning, except maybe a little chilly. everyone ran to eat when I put food in. Their droppings don't appear runny either. I'll keep an eye on them before treating them with anything.

[/quote]

can you build a more confined area around her? Maybe just a temporary thing of plywood, like a giant box with a window / door to shut at night.
Yeah, I think I can do something like that. She's hidden really really well I am just worried a coon or something will catch on that she is there. To this point, over the past four years, I have only lost animals to coyotes either when they were out in the open during the day, that hasn't happened in a couple of years, or if they were simply out too late which is what happened to the ducks (well, besides the one time a neighbor dog got in to the yard but he's not around anymore). I've never had a coop break in or coon issue of any kind but my luck isn't so great this year and there is a first time for everything lol I'll build a little something around her. I just hope the eggs didn't get too cold last night. They were all lined up in a row in the tractor - not gathered together like a clutch should be. And they weren't warm. So weird. I can't believe she didnt sit on them when they were RIGHT THERE.

Back
Top Bottom