Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. ellymayRans

ellymayRans Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone breeding for Olive Eggers? I am but I am looking to obtain a true americauna vs. EE I have 1EE but her eggs are more pale blue.. I did hatch 3 eggs of hers and can only tell one of her offspring because its bearded and at this stage it appears to be a boy. I was getting ready to pair her up again with my BCM boy but thought I'd ask first!
    1 person likes this.
  2. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    So I went out to do chores this morning and there's blood in the baby's pen :( and I don't know where it's from. No one seems injured but it might be from poo? Ugh! I figured by almost 6 weeks I wouldn't have to worry about cocci :( any ideas?
  3. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Anything is possible, given sufficient funds. Our government demonstrates this daily, with our money. Several sources sell solar setup that will charge a 12v battery.

For the automatic door, you could get by for around $100 for a lawnmower battery and solar array. The doors use very little electricity. You could also charge the battery in your garage and carry it out to the coop. The charge will last for months.

If you have several batteries and a large solar cell array, you could store enough electricity to keep heaters going through the night and through gloomy days.

It would cost several hundred dollars. RacinChickins probably has the most knowledge about the subject. Prepare for sticker shock.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Ugh that stinks. They do shed their lining in their poo at that age, and it looks kind of like blood, but it wouldn't be a lot. Just a little pink something or other in the poo. Is there a lot of blood or just a little?

Six weeks isn't too old for cocci. Depends on what age they were when they were exposed to the chicken yard (or the cocci). Also, are they or have they ever been on medicated feed?

Hopefully someone just got scratched or something!
  5. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Haha! It is actually cute. I'm laughing because his brooder buddy is Chance. Chance Rain.
  6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    CCC..Chickens had a full blood americauna roo at one time to rehome. I have a mixed EE rooster I need to rehome.

Update on my injured hen. The injured hen is acting better so I'm giving her a few more days against my better judgement. Sometimes the heart wins. She is a mixed hen but the prettiest hen in my layer flock. I'm hoping she makes it. She was able to stand today and she is eating more today than yesterday. I have her isolated so the others can't peck her, but I have worries over the night time temps. I may end up relocating her to my basement and that is a touch bit beyond my normal practices as I'm in the process of making a nice area downstairs for brooding chicks, not caring for injured hens. The big difference would be the amount of poo and space since chicks need so little space compared to a 17 week old hen.
  7. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Awe I hope she keeps improving.
  8. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    21 heritage barred rock eggs in the incubator for a week now. Not a single one has veining! I have other eggs in there, bantam Cochins that go into lockdown next week and showgirl eggs that have only been in there for a few days. The Cochins are still doing great and can see movement in the shell. The others are too soon to tell. I would have thought if it was my incubator then the Cochins would be dead too. I have 5 thermometers in the incubator and all read 99 (only measure whole numbers) to 100.4F. I'm wondering if the USPS did something to them? Both were shipped the same time, one from Georgia the other from Tennessee, both arrived same day, and both put into incubator at the same time. Very frustrating.
  9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just went out and checked my silkies progress with her 14 eggs. I didn't do too much myself, but since she was eating I lifted her up for a second. I heard peeping but no external pips yet. I didn't know you could hear them while they were still inside the eggs.My biggest concern now is that since she isn't very big, I know she has been keeping some of the eggs under her wings and not directly under her. Is this normal? They don't feel as warm as the ones under her. So are the chicks going to be able to stay warm under her? Are they going to be able to stay under her while the other ones hatch? That is a lot of eggs for 1 silkie.
  10. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    If any bird can manage to hatch that many eggs it would be a silky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by