INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

To all going to the poultry show this weekend : enjoy
    We went to one (first time ever) last weekend north of Flint, MI - saw alot of breeds id never seen except for pictures & a few that were hoping to see that werent any there. Wr also got an evaluation on our chanticler from the experts - at least the best they could tell by seeing a few cell phone pictures

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In

3. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    BIRD TRAVELS
    I don't have any experience with turkeys-- or poultry shows, but last spring I transported two of jchny/Janet's big Chinese geese from her house to a person's house two hours away. We put each one in a box, which were placed next to each other. The boxes were loosely covered. They did fine. Sometimes I would hear muttering from them, and once (as I was driving through downtown Indy) one of them let out a loud, "HONK" and about gave me a heart attack. However, it was an appropriate time to honk loudly since we were in highway traffic. Here they are below before the boxes were loosely covered except for a corner opening to make sure they had air.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    kabhyper~ Now I can't remember why you removed the silkies from the mom-- was it because they were sick and you were afraid of it spreading or was it because you were afraid the mother would reject them because they were sick?

1 person likes this.
  4. Delawaremommy

Delawaremommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    I will have no math going on...doesn't matter if I bring a crate or not...I am brining my mother who will not allow another bird! Unless of course it is cute or lonely or goes bock!

I have not ever showed chickens but I did show dogs and my advice is relax. You can only do your best and present your best. Hope to see lots of people there from here though...I think I may put on a name tag just in case!!!

Connie

5. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It's because they were weak and she was kicking the bedding around in the brooder and them with it. The LF babies are big enough to avoid the feet during her vigorous scratching lessons, the little weak silkies were getting caught under her feet and tossed. So they came into the house. I let them snuggle under my hair today, until I got pooped on. I don't think that will happen anymore. lol Gross. :sick

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Yes you need to bring cash. No you dont have to carry, the carrier around with you. You will probably be parked around 100ft away from where the sales are.And you dont have to pay to get in or anything and are free to go back to your car as much as you want. Most people showing will be there before or shotrly after 9am. A lot of sales people get there around the same time and new people will come and go through out the day. I got their around 10 last year (took chickns the night before) and left around 3 and people were there selling the whole time I was their. Their will be ducks, chickens, turkeys, geese, pigeons, and last year their was rabbits too.

ohn made a very good point when he brought up quarintening (spelled wrong). I didn't use to and am extremly lucky that I never brought in disease. it is amazing that all the birds I had brought in were clean. At the time I did not know any better. I do now and will be quaritening the ones I buy their. One year I bought silkie chicks from someone. One didnt look very good, but i bought them anyways. All of them ended upo dying and luckily t5hey didnt give whatever they had to my other chickens I had at the time. You do have to be careful.

7. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana
    This is my first year with birds and I've never seen one molt. I can't believe how fast they can grow feathers back! Last week this girl was completely bare on her back, and all of a sudden she has feathers again!

[​IMG]

I spread 6 yards of mulch today. [​IMG]
    In my first load I found a baby mouse, one of my girls got a nice snack. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

8. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    We've had several new members join us . . .
    Do you want to be listed on the BYC Indiana Members’ List?
    “Being a member of this thread” just means adding your screen name and flock info, which can be helpful because the list is a spreadsheet format that lets you sort the list by breed, county, or other category. It’s an easy way to find other members who have the same breed you have or who live in a nearby county, etc.

Click on the link below my signature to view the list. Just look at the bottom of the list page for sorting options.

If you’d like to be added, send me a PM (personal message) by simply placing your cursor over my screen name: Mother2Hens, and you will see “Send a PM.” A personal message ensures that your info is added. Please send your screen name, county, and city. Also include the following information about each member of your flock: List each species (chicken, duck, etc.), breed (Barred Rock, Blue Cochin, etc.), is it a LF (Large Fowl) or Bantam? If you breed, please include the species. bradselig actually adds the info, so you can PM him directly, too-- whatever is the easiest for you. if you have any questions about this thread, please PM Jchny2000 (Janet) who is the founder (thread starter) of this group. Others on our volunteer committee are happy to to help~ Quinstar, vickichicki, and CluckAcres.

Indiana County Map for instant member location/Avatars
    If anyone would like a map of your county, like the one on my avatar, I will be happy to provide one. If someone wants a combo map and a chicken or an animal for your avatar, I can put that together for you, just PM me. When I read posts, many times I think “Now where are they from?” I look at the city and still have no idea what part of the state they’re from. The map icon with the county in red because you could quickly glance and see where the member who is posting is from. These avatars are not required-- they are just a free service if you’re interested.

If members would like me to change the photo(s) on their avatars, just PM me. Someone might have a picture of a chick that has grown into a hen (or a roo!) and would like to update the photo or someone might like something totally different.

BYC Indiana Google Map for detailed information
    Cluck Acres (Curtis) set up a Google Map for just us INDIANA BYC’ers. You must first log on to your Google account or make a Google account. (If you have gmail, just use your gmail password). All you have to do is go to this link....http://goo.gl/maps/UShV6 . Here are the directions. You will see the state of Indiana.. Zoom in to where you live and then click on the red button that says Edit. After you click Edit you will see a hand, blue pin point and a zig zag line on the map. Click the pin point and drag it to where you live on the map. After you have placed your pin point then click on it and you can edit your description by adding your county. If you want to change your blue pin point to another icon or upload your own then up on the right of that box click the pin point icon and choose others or upload your own icon. If anyone has problems with this feel free to ask.

This information is submitted periodically by Mother2Hens

1 person likes this.
  9. HappyHappyHappy

HappyHappyHappy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    hour North of Indy
    Thank You for the info,, ill try and get a good look at them today so I know.. If she is one of the jersey Giants I bought her as a day old chick, her and her sister on April First of this year, I bought the Astralorp in the middle of May. I will look at the feet tomorrow if they will let me. They all 3 have the Green Sheen to them. Her Comb was much larger and more red before she went broody about 5-6 weeks ago. I Assume the stress of being a mother has taken a toll on her comb.
    Of the Ten Barred Rock hens I had as day old chicks there was one that was my favorite, I had them in a large 4'x4' box in the house from April 1 to the middle of may. She was always the first to greet me and the first to jump up on my hand for a ride to sit on my lap. Since they have went to the coop and grew up I can not tell her apart from the others anymore.. I used to know what one she was by the black stripe on her beak as a chick and her feet being a bit darker pattern than the other ones. Note to self not a good way to tell them apart when they grow up they dont have the same stripe on the beak or foot color.. [​IMG] I was able to get a great video of the chicks today before work Ill post it in a minute....

10. HappyHappyHappy

HappyHappyHappy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    hour North of Indy
    [​IMG]

of the 8 eggs 7 have hatched one has not.

Darn it took the video sideways. Sry.. not sure how I do that.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by